Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WOW!  (Read 2951 times)

dipchitblonde

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
WOW!
« on: March 24, 2010, 07:00:00 PM »

I just got done talking to a service rep at this company and he was a rude jerk.
I've combed the x10 site for camera security systems off and on for a couple of years and decided to take them up on their offer on the home page to call and speak with a knowledgeable rep to help me choose the system that's best for my needs.  I told the gentleman why I was calling and that I was looking for a system that would cover video surveilance of just one side of my residential property, covering a range of about 100' in length and was hoping I could rely upon his expertise in recommending a system to me. he proceeded to ask me, "so, what are you looking for?".  I sort of chuckled and said, ummm, I thought I just you?  he asked how I wanted to record the information and I replied, via vcr.  he blurted a non-audible version at me with the attitude that I was already a complete hassle and I asked him if there was a way he could direct me to where that was on the site and he gruffed "its not on the site!".  I sort of didnt know how to respond to that and I'm sure I stuttered.  then he added that I'm just going to have to look around on the site to find something I like.  I told him, thus far all I'm able to find are packages with far more cameras than what I think I need and he said, so you order less cameras!  he didnt need to add "go away idiot, you're too stupid for me to talk to" because that was already in his voice.  I told him, yaknow what?  I'll just go shop somewhere else.  and he said, okay, thanks for calling. 
WOW 

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: WOW!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 07:38:46 PM »

Another sad but true testimony.   Can we help you here at the forum?

X10 cams have a somewhat limited RF transmission range, but it can be done.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 07:40:14 PM »

You may actually pay more for a single camera than one of the deals.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 08:19:28 PM »

• I've combed the x10 site for camera security systems off and on for a couple of years.
  • I was looking for a system that would cover video surveilance, covering a range of about 100' in length.
  • I wanted to record the information, via vcr. 

I edited your post... in an effort to be of help to you. This forum is a community forum... we aren't X10 employees... and X10 doesn't seem to read many posts here at the forum ether.

100 feet is way too far for any security camera (without a zoom) to get much of a picture. Recording that image to a (low resolution) VCR... will likely give you... less than useful video.

What I usually advise people who are new to security cameras... or video in general.. is buy a one camera system. Shop for deals. Sign-up for the X10 newsletter and get a cheap one camera deal. Or just pick-up a cheap (TV compatible) security camera at a local big box store.

Learning how to use security cameras is a hands on experience. Your not going to learn much shopping.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dipchitblonde

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 04:12:35 AM »

thanks all for your generous contributions and offers to help. 
here's my problem.  I have an elderly (imbalanced) neighbor who has, for years, been dumping weed killer on my flower beds and garden.  she sneaks into my yard when I'm not home, and she even dumps it, along with her lawn debrit, over the fence into my beds. 

I want to monitor that side of my property and because its such a silly problem, I dont' want to, nor can I afford to invest in a high tech system.  I just want a couple of cameras that I can mount, and review after the fact.  I suppose what would be ideal is motion sensored......and, would I need separate feeds in order to save/record for each camera view? 
I will be investing in a new pc soon, so would that be the better way to go - with pc  monitoring, rather than vcr for what I'm guessing would need separate channels? 
and, do you know if the pc method utilizes alot of the system's resources?

thank you for your time and help.

beyond frustrated in michigan   

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 08:01:12 AM »

What is wrong with people!?

Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 08:23:23 AM »

What is wrong with people!?

The days of Noah.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 02:11:21 PM »

Security cameras are really good at catching an image or two of anyone tresspassing in an effort to break into your home. Additionally nearly everyone who would invest in security cameras... also invests in a security alarm as well. Hence... the sight of security cameras will generally help deter burglars... who prefer easier targets.

Deterring the bad behavior of kooky neighbors... isn't quite as easy to do. It could be that the placement of a security camera [or two] will deter you neighbor from.... floral terrorism.. but I wouldn't bet on it. I've never read anywhere of security camera technology making for better neighbors. And to be honest... I don't think they do.

It might be a better to waste your money on a lawn debris composter... that you could offer to share with her... over cake and coffee (or beer and chips). She won't likely be crazy enough to "taint" plants... that could end-up as mulch in her own gardens.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 02:19:22 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.