Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DS7000 Disarms Itself After Being Armed??!!  (Read 10661 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
DS7000 Disarms Itself After Being Armed??!!
« on: October 19, 2008, 06:58:12 PM »

Jeez I just discovered that two of my new DS7000 consoles will occasionally disarm themselves after being ARMED!!!!!!!!!!!  :o I can't begin to tell you how troubling this is to me just imagine setting the alarm and leaving and coming home to a house that has been robbed because the alarm wasen't turned on. And on top of that blaming yourself for forgetting to turn it on! I was coming in the house the other day and turned the alarm OFF when I distinctly remember hearing the unit rearm itself! At first I couldn't believe what I was hearing and after numerous tries I was able to duplicate it again. Then today I armed the system and after maybe 5 seconds or so heard the unit disarm itself! I have two new consoles and both do this. Hay has anyone else observed this? Both of these units are under warranty they are only about 6 months old  so I will be replacing them both. But this is why I've been so critical of x10 in the past their QUALITY CONTROL or the non existence there of. This is a HORRENDIOUS situation I mean it hard to think of a worst situation that's why I'm basically getting out of x10 security, something like this is down right scary!  :o  Your thoughts comments?

Tom j.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 02:46:40 AM by tom j »

tom j

Re: DS7000 Disarms Itself After Being Armed!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 07:39:08 PM »

Guys here's what I recommend if you're arming the unit and relying on the security light to inform you that the console is armed then you would NEVER know it had disarmed itself if you can't hear it. Of course if you tried to arm it a second time and it armed the you would know it has disarmed itself. What I would do is move the unit closer so you can actually hear it and wait about 5 to 10 seconds to see if it does in fact disarm itself. I suggest you test your unit thoroughly if you purchased it in the last 6 months to a year. Believe me you don't want one of these units!! and I strongly suggest you check to make sure you don't.

Tom j.

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 08:32:03 AM »

Tom J - at the risk of asking a stupid question - With only ONE security remote installed, does it still disarm itself?  How about with NO remotes or any sensors installed?  What does an Activity Monitor log show?
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

tom j

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 05:03:19 PM »

Tom J - at the risk of asking a stupid question - With only ONE security remote installed, does it still disarm itself?  How about with NO remotes or any sensors installed?  What does an Activity Monitor log show?

Actually I have three remotes installed but when this happen I was home alone. I disarmed the system as normal and after 5 seconds or so I heard it arm itself  :o I walked into the living room and the motion detectors picked me up and set off the alarm. I then keep arming disarming to see if I could duplicate this and after numerous tries it did the same thing and even once on my second unit it actually disarmed itself after I armed it. I don't have it hooked up to AHP so there's no activity recorded. I really can't tell you how disturbing I find this I'm calling and packing up one of the worst offenders for a RMA placement I intend on thoroughly testing it before returning the other. This has actually only occurred a few times but it's like Russian roulette it only actually has to happen once and have it be the time someone decides to break in. You would be totally defenseless.

Tom j.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 01:52:50 AM »

........ I disarmed the system as normal and after 5 seconds or so I heard it arm itself 

That has happened to me. But in my case it was the keys and/or change in my pocket that caused the alarm status to change. I have also had the same thing happen with the garage door opener. I no longer keep keys (or keychain flobs) in my pockets when at home.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

tom j

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 02:14:06 AM »

........ I disarmed the system as normal and after 5 seconds or so I heard it arm itself 

That has happened to me. But in my case it was the keys and/or change in my pocket that caused the alarm status to change. I have also had the same thing happen with the garage door opener. I no longer keep keys (or keychain flobs) in my pockets when at home.

Hi ya Dave Yep that would be a possibility if I had it in my pocket when it happen and like you this has happen to me but this happen while the key fob was still in my hand!  :o Talked to support and they seem to think I just got a bad unit but I got two like this tried it again today and was able to duplicate it it after about 30 tries, any ideas??

Tom j.

tom j

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 09:01:36 PM »

Well I've been trying all day to duplicate what happen the other day but with no luck. This really doesn't give me comfort because it did happen a few times and my wife witnessed it once. Just can't help thinking that if this was American or Japanese engineering that this wouldn't of happened. Still waiting on a response from x10 concerning this but as yet no respond. Will keep you posted.

Tom j.

tom j

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 08:54:19 PM »

Well it did it again!!! boxing up one of them and sending it back x10 has issued a RMA but no explanation why this is occurring I sure hope they take the time to disassemble this unit to find the problem but knowing x10 well...... :'

Tom j.

tom j

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 02:25:08 PM »

GUYS I think I solved the problem  -:) I now think it was the repeater that was causing the problem, with the repeater removed from the system I have not been able to duplicate the problem. And another thing I noticed was that when I would disarm the system that instead of 2 dings I would get 4!!!! About 50% the time. With the repeater gone unplugged and in the garage when I disarm the system I only get the normal 2. I was standing in the doorway yesterday and disarmed the system and happen to be looking at the repeater when I noticed that the system rearmed itself. I saw the light on the repeater come on and my hand was clearly not on the arm button, so apparently it somehow sent another repeat comand  . Well I'll report back in a few days to confirm my findings. But even if it wasn't’t the console which I would be extremely happy of it was a defective x10 component and this shouldn't have happen. Better engineering and quality control I'm sure could have prevented this.

Tom j.

BaBaLou.

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 06:00:55 PM »

Hi tom j,
what type of repeater do you have and only one I presume and do you intend to put it back?
You did specify that you did not have the security console or remotes in AHP, did you ever consider to install them in AHP and see what the Activity monitor is saying during Arm/Disarm?
What HC is the system set to? any other modules on the same HC?
Has any other module other than security showed any similar problems, light command to be turned off but comes on by itself shortly after as an example?
Even with the repeater installed, have you tested the console in different outlet or another part of the house possibly on the other phase? any possible offending noise from nearby electronics that may contribute to the false trigger?
Just for info, I have a DS7000 at the business and was about to add a X10 repeater/coupler just to help in that setup, didn't setup the console at the house as of yet and that has the XTB working there. Thanks.

tom j

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 09:11:04 PM »

Hi tom j,
what type of repeater do you have and only one I presume and do you intend to put it back?
You did specify that you did not have the security console or remotes in AHP, did you ever consider to install them in AHP and see what the Activity monitor is saying during Arm/Disarm?
What HC is the system set to? any other modules on the same HC?
Has any other module other than security showed any similar problems, light command to be turned off but comes on by itself shortly after as an example?
Even with the repeater installed, have you tested the console in different outlet or another part of the house possibly on the other phase? any possible offending noise from nearby electronics that may contribute to the false trigger?
Just for info, I have a DS7000 at the business and was about to add a X10 repeater/coupler just to help in that setup, didn't setup the console at the house as of yet and that has the XTB working there. Thanks.

Hi I intend to address all your questions but let me just answer a few right now. Now when I say repeater I'm not talking about a signal bridge with amplification I'm actually referring to the x10 Pro Smart Repeater which is really suppose to extend the range sorry I should have been more clear see the link below. Your question concerning any other modules being affected is a good one and no I haven't experienced this with my lighting or any other x10 device. And like I said since I've taken the repeater out of the system I haven't been able to duplicate the problem, but I will continue to test and get back in a few days.

http://www.x10.com/automation/sr731_s.html

Tom j.

tom j

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008, 01:20:55 AM »

I think I'll change name name to DS7000 Disarms Itself After Being Armed??!! until I sort this thing out.

Tom j.

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
Re: DS7000 Disarms Itself After Being Armed??!!
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008, 07:05:16 AM »

...another  $0.02 -

I'm running 2 SR731's (X10 Smart Repeaters) and I get NO false ARMs or DisARMs on my DS7000.

Sometimes on a disarm, I get 6 dings. - I have 4-KR10A's, and 2 SH624's.  The only false arming or disarming I've received is when someone or something touches one of the buttons - (and btw, I think the buttons on the KR10A's are a tad too sensitive)

While testing different things, I repeatedly press buttons that send DisArm commands to my DS7000.  Sometimes if I hold the disarm button down long enough, with my SR731'a I get 8, 10, 12 dings - but NEVER a re-arm.

Do you have ANY macros that arm the system?  Do you have OnAlert installed?  Do you have ANY security remotes installed into AHP?  Have you EVER had them?

...and (I believe) it doesn't matter where you plug in the DS7000.  It arms/disarms via RF only, not PLCs.

PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

tom j

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 02:38:48 AM »

...another  $0.02 -

I'm running 2 SR731's (X10 Smart Repeaters) and I get NO false ARMs or DisARMs on my DS7000.

Sometimes on a disarm, I get 6 dings. - I have 4-KR10A's, and 2 SH624's.  The only false arming or disarming I've received is when someone or something touches one of the buttons - (and btw, I think the buttons on the KR10A's are a tad too sensitive)

While testing different things, I repeatedly press buttons that send DisArm commands to my DS7000.  Sometimes if I hold the disarm button down long enough, with my SR731'a I get 8, 10, 12 dings - but NEVER a re-arm.

Do you have ANY macros that arm the system?  Do you have OnAlert installed?  Do you have ANY security remotes installed into AHP?  Have you EVER had them?

...and (I believe) it doesn't matter where you plug in the DS7000.  It arms/disarms via RF only, not PLCs.

Hi thanks for the input, well I actually don't have On Alert installed I got it bundled with my AHP but because you can't uninstall these add on just never installed it. And since I don't have it installed I don't have any macros involving any security sensors. I'm not even using the RF on the AHP CM15a just the security console. I tell you though if you're getting more then the two dings beware that's when I started noticing problems, prior to that it always just gave me the normal 2, x10 has informed me that the repeater SHOULD NOT cause the console to give more then the normal 2 dings. And if you can't hear the disarm dings and just rely on the security light to pop on and off you wouldn't know it the unit was disarming or not. You know I was thinking though concerning BaBaLou question about possible other problems I might be experiencing I just remembered about some problems I was having with my porch macro that was designed to brighten my lights if it was dark and somebody walked on the porch. I do remember at times this Marco was erratic like once activated cutting the lights completely off and other funny things but since removing the repeater I haven't noticed this. Think I'll have to wait a while to see if this is actually the case. Just can't understand how sending multiple commands would cause this especially since I purposely place a flag in the Macro to prevent it from responding to multiple commands. Any idea how that could have caused this.

Tom j.

tom j

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 10:18:14 PM »

Well after at least 200 arm disarms I've confirmed that it was the repeater! I'm really happy that the console was not at fault but I still find it troubling that my home might of been unsecured  without my knowledge. I urge everyone that has one of these and a ds7000 to confirm that they don't have this occurring on their system. And don't forget to make this determination you can't go on the security light it only comes on and off when the alarm is turned on not off, so if you can't heard the conformation tone you have no way of knowing.

Tom j.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.