Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RKR24 KeyChain Remote - programming trouble.  (Read 10694 times)

Geewiz

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
RKR24 KeyChain Remote - programming trouble.
« on: October 30, 2008, 05:39:30 PM »

I've had this keychain remote in it's box for a year and decided to try it out.  The battery seems fine, but when following the instructions to program the unit...

"Press and hold the first (top) ON and OFF buttons at the same time for 2-3 seconds to enter
Program Mode (the LED stays on)"

The LED flashes, but doesn't stay on.  I've tried pushing the two buttons in unison umpteen number of times and with different variations of leverage and angle of attack and can't get that LED to remain lit.  Is this little item DOA?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: RKR24 KeyChain Remote - programming trouble.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 10:50:55 AM »

I don't know what a RKR24 remote is... I do own a KR19A (here in my hand)... let me tell you how I program it.

• I push the top left button... without letting up (I hold the top button). It will flash the normal RF signal for a sec... then be off for about 3 seconds... then it will blink out the "House Code" (1 Blink = A, 2=B.... and so on).
  • About 1 to 3 secs AFTER the button has blinked out it's code... I push in a new code. In a steady... not too fast or too slow (1 Push = A, 2=B.... and so on).
  • Next I repeat the above with the top RIGHT button to set the "Unit Code"
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Geewiz

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 01:32:31 PM »

Here's the model I have....

http://www.x10retail.com/rkr24.pdf

RKR24 is also on the back of the unit.  I'll try your method for programming to see if it works on this.

Thanks!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 06:25:41 PM »

Looks like the web sold KR19A.

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 06:26:11 PM »

Here's the model I have....  http://www.x10retail.com/rkr24.pdf

It looks like mine! Let us know how it works out.

Geewiz

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 03:23:31 PM »

Yes... your instructions for the KR19A model that you have worked perfectly for my RKR24 Keychain remote.  They appear to be identical, right down to the programming.  The programming instructions that came with my RKR24 didn't work, which is why, I suppose, it's been sitting in a box for a year. 

Using your programming instructions, the keychain remote works perfectly, and I'm rather surprised at the range I'm getting!

Thanks!

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 05:14:50 PM »

I've had this keychain remote in it's box for a year .....

Thought I might mention.... if the battery starts to fail... the remote may default to (House/Unit Code) A1. Something to keep in mind.

Andrew4096

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 05:58:56 AM »

X10 may have changed the chip functionality, and thus the programming steps over time.  For example, I tried programming a couple of old (mid-2000s ?) KR19A keychain remotes according to the downloadable PDF instructions on the X10 site, but the method didn't work.  I then discovered that I had the original package insert that came with the remotes and, indeed, when I followed those instructions, the devices could be programmed.  The method involves pressing and holding the top ON button until it blinks the house code (default is 1 blink = house code "A").  Then, press the top ON button the number of times that correspond to the desired house code, e.g., 13=M.  Now, this is important:  On the FINAL button press, hold the button and wait for the remote to confirm the code by blinking the number of times you pressed the button, and only then release the ON button.  To program the unit code, repeat the procedure using the top OFF button.  If the battery ever goes dead and needs to be replaced, the unit reverts to house code A, units 1 & 2.

Edit:  The date code stickers inside the remotes were 9B07.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 06:08:43 AM by Andrew4096 »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.