Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: PR511 failure  (Read 7687 times)

jagMan653

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
PR511 failure
« on: November 03, 2008, 02:31:54 PM »

I have had 3 PR511 units in service for about 10 years. They are all on the same circuit and are set to come on with motion after dark. They controll nothing other than their own flood lights.

After resolving some initial problems, they have worked well. Till now the main problem has been getting into the always-on state, but I've learned how to get them working again by following the setup instructions in the manual. However, recently one seems to have  failed completely. I can't get it to come on at all. The other 2 do come on, so I know ther circuit is OK. I've read that the sensor can fail due to the ravages of sun exposure. Could that be my problem? If so, can I buy a new sensor somewhere?

One other problem with the same units is that I can no longer control them with the MT10A Mini-timer. I used to be able to turn them on/off manually from it, but no more. I don't think this is related to the more recent failure of one unit.

Any help appreciated.

Ed

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: PR511 failure
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 04:03:43 PM »

Ed... IMHO it sounds like you have one failed unit that needs replaced. Not bad after 10 years. You should look at the 4fer deal.... ten years is a long time for a motion sensor of ANY brand.

Does your mini-time operate anything? Could there be other interference on the line?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

jagMan653

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 04:25:53 PM »

You should look at the 4fer deal.... ten years is a long time for a motion sensor of ANY brand.

Does your mini-time operate anything? Could there be other interference on the line?

Thanks, Dave. Are you saying I should be replacing the PR511 rather than fixing it? What is the "4fer deal?"

The MiniTimer works fine. It is used primarily for lamps in the house, and a small radio, to make the house look occupied when we are away.

Regarding noise, I really can't say. I've read things gleaned from this forum about noise generators and signal suckers. I do have quite a few wall-warts as I'm sure almost everyone does these days. I've tried unplugging them, including a couple that were on the same circut as the PR511s, but nothing helps. Also, I've plugged the MiniTimer into an outlet on the PR511 circuit, but no joy.

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 04:37:29 PM »

... Are you saying I should be replacing the PR511 rather than fixing it? What is the "4fer deal?"

Well if you sign-up for the news letter at the X10.com site... they will email you special saving offers... like this one. One is special saving on a four unit deal.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 05:04:32 AM by Dave_x10_L »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 05:01:26 PM »

Thanks, Dave. Are you saying I should be replacing the PR511 rather than fixing it? What is the "4fer deal?"

There is a lot of components in the PR511s to go wrong besides the PIR detector. Unless you have a source for swapping parts (like another PR511) and are good with soldering iron, your best bet would be to get a new unit  (IMHO).
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 06:12:43 PM »

There is a lot of components in the PR511s to go wrong besides the PIR detector.

I would love to have the knowledge and skills to be able to repair circuit board devices.... but I don't.

jagMan653

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 07:58:49 PM »

Ok, so repairing it doesn't look like a good option. Let me ask about another option I've read about here but don't fully understand. Some have said that the PR511 innards are often kind of flaky and it's better to control them with an ordinary lamp or appliance module. Can someone elaborate on that for me?

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 08:08:50 PM »

You can control a PR511 with a X10 Pro Wall Switch Appliance Module (XPS3). I use one to control a PR511 so it won't trigger in daylight. The PR511 makes that almost impossible.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 08:17:37 PM »

Some have said that the PR511 innards are often kind of flaky and it's better to control them with an ordinary lamp or appliance module. Can someone elaborate on that for me?

No! I don't believe that to be true at all. I have read some posts of problems with FloodCam... but I have never read of concerns with the FloodLight. The floodlights PR511 are at the heart of my perimeter detection system. They turn on cameras, a chime, and even trigger a Voice Announcement system. You can even see this demo'ed [near the end] of my 3 minute Home Automation/BVC video.

jagMan653

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 10:44:49 PM »

You can control a PR511 with a X10 Pro Wall Switch Appliance Module (XPS3). I use one to control a PR511 so it won't trigger in daylight. The PR511 makes that almost impossible.

Does that mean the 120V lines going to the PR511 are coming from a XpS3?

BTW, I have assumed that  the settings on the PR511 control panel  can force it to not come on during daylight regardless of motion. That feature of mine has seemed to work OK, except when some glitch on the mains causes them to stay on all the time.

Ed

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 07:37:25 AM »

BTW, I have assumed that  the settings on the PR511 control panel  can force it to not come on during daylight regardless of motion. That feature of mine has seemed to work OK, except when some glitch on the mains causes them to stay on all the time.

Ed

YES!!  That glitch you mentioned is why I went to a XPS3 to control the PR511.  With it, no fuss, no muss and the 511 goes on when I want and turns off when I want.  The timers are in the XPS3.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

jagMan653

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 11:05:42 AM »

Ed

YES!!  That glitch you mentioned is why I went to a XPS3 to control the PR511.  With it, no fuss, no muss and the 511 goes on when I want and turns off when I want.  The timers are in the XPS3.

Right now I have all 3 PR511 on a 120v circuit  coming off an ordianry wall switch. Where would I put a XPS3? Would I need a separate one for each PR511?

Also, how would use of the XPS3 fix the current problem of one PR511 not coming on with motion? That is my main problem right now, because that's the principal function of these lights. Being able to turn them on and off from anothe X-10 device, e.g., MiniTimer, is nice, but not as important to me as motion control.

Ed

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 12:04:27 PM »

Ed,

I am a bit confused and wonder if you are not making this harder than it should be: Your original post implies you were satisfied with your PR511 installation for 10 years, until one PR511 failed. If your objective is to try and get more than 10 years service out of the PR511's,  I doubt switching power to the PR511's will guarantee that happening. Granted, I tend to be pessimistic.

Now if you want to be able to remotely control the motion sensing function of the PR511s.... then that is a different matter which a XPS3 or WS13 would solve. I'll go back to sleep now  :D
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

jagMan653

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 01:34:39 PM »

Ed,

I am a bit confused and wonder if you are not making this harder than it should be: Your original post implies you were satisfied with your PR511 installation for 10 years, until one PR511 failed. If your objective is to try and get more than 10 years service out of the PR511's,  I doubt switching power to the PR511's will guarantee that happening. Granted, I tend to be pessimistic.

Now if you want to be able to remotely control the motion sensing function of the PR511s.... then that is a different matter which a XPS3 or WS13 would solve. I'll go back to sleep now  :D

Hi Dave,

Sorry for letting the main issue get out of focus. Yes, the main objective is to get the motion detect lighting back in service. But, I would also LIKE to get back the ability to turn on/of any or all of the 3 PR511s from the MiniTimer controller inside the house. At one time that worked, now it doesn't. So while I have the attention of some pros here I thought I might as well explore that issue, and I thought the XPS3 might be an answer. I will buy another PR511 though, as I haven't heard anyone say I could fix it.

Thanks for your help.

Ed

HA Dave

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 03:17:42 PM »

.... I would also LIKE to get back the ability to turn on/of any or all of the 3 PR511s from the MiniTimer controller inside the house.

And who wouldn't! Something has gone wrong somewhere... and the only way to fix it... is to track down what when wrong where. Randomly adding new stuff (XP53) might give you gthe disired results... or it could just waste time and money.

The best way to resolve you problem.. is to begin at the beginning.  How-To: Map Your Electrical Circuits

After you have your circuits mapped and on paper:

• Check to make sure (with all other circuits off) that you mini-timer works on it's own circuits.
  • With all other circuits off... EXCEPT the two with the floodlights and mini-timer.... and then all other devices except the floodlights and mini-timers removed. See if the mini timer operates ether the floodlights (OR an added control module).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 03:26:48 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.