Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Switch (ws467) Mod For Cfl's?  (Read 8750 times)

bcondemi

Switch (ws467) Mod For Cfl's?
« on: October 28, 2007, 08:20:55 PM »

Can't seem to find the link (information) to the switch modification to work with the compact florescent light bulbs. I believe it shows how to add a neutral wire (or something like that).
Can anyone please provide where I can find this information? I've been googleing for two days now and keep finding the same information. (which doesn't help)

thank-you
BC

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Switch (ws467) Mod For Cfl's?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 09:56:39 PM »

You can find the mod for adding a nutral wire at HomeAutomation Knowlege Base  
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bcondemi

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 10:31:16 PM »

Thanks but its not there. There is a link to search for 'snubber circuit'.
I'm looking for someone who can provide a direct link to the actual modification; I'm looking for diagrams and photos, not a link to do more searching.

thank-you

BC

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 06:57:08 AM »

I believe IdoBartina's web pages have it. If no one supplies it by tonight [when I get home]. I will edit this and add the link. Oops I see the link was given. ::).
I wold still  be careful if you are using a dimming wall switch and a CFL. Most CFLs do not like dimmers.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 04:13:40 PM by Brian H »

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 08:21:57 AM »

I'm looking for someone who can provide a direct link to the actual modification; I'm looking for diagrams and photos, not a link to do more searching.

thank-you

BC

Tuicemen's link is as close as you're going to get.  Scroll down in the left panel and find "Adding a Neutral wire" under "Wall Switch Modification".  Scroll further for the schematic (which may or may not match your module).

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

bcondemi

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 07:07:05 PM »

That link and scroll down to 'adding a neutral wire' does not have any photos in it. It has a write up and that would be too risky for me especially since i'd be 'guessing'. Definitely I would want to see what was being done.

Thanks anyway

BC

Charles Sullivan

• Helpful Post Rating: 94
    • HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OSX
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 08:41:17 PM »

That link and scroll down to 'adding a neutral wire' does not have any photos in it. It has a write up and that would be too risky for me especially since i'd be 'guessing'. Definitely I would want to see what was being done.

Thanks anyway

BC

If you can't follow the schematic, your best bet is to forget using a WS467 and instead purchase a wall switch intended for fluorescents, e.g., the X10Pro XPS3 or one of the Smarthome models.

The WS467 is not a good idea anyway.   Unless your CFL is dimmable, there's the possibility that the WS467 will be inadvertently dimmed, with unknown consequences.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it doesn't work.
X10 on Windows is like that.

HEYU - X10 Automation for Linux, Unix, and Mac OS X     http://www.heyu.org

bcondemi

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 09:26:35 PM »

They are dimmable and will turn on and off locally. They won't dim however with the remotes (if they are in the socket by themselves).

If I combine a cfl and a regular incandescent, they both will dim. They work perfectly with a lamp modules though.

I figure that adding this neutral wire will help with the cfl's. From what I understand, there is no switch that will work with the cfl's that are dimmable  (remembering that my cfl's are dimmable of course)

BC

belcat

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 10:02:19 PM »

thank-you

BC

So is it true there are no X10 modules for dimmable fluorescent?  Also is the socket rocket compatible with regular CFL's? It seems to work...

Too late, I suppose, but here's a direct link: http://www.idobartana.com/hakb/modifying_wall_switch.htm#Adding%20Neutral%20Wire%20to%20enable%20work%20with%20compact%20fluorescent

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 10:33:34 PM »

thank-you

BC

So is it true there are no X10 modules for dimmable fluorescent?  Also is the socket rocket compatible with regular CFL's? It seems to work...

Too late, I suppose, but here's a direct link: http://www.idobartana.com/hakb/modifying_wall_switch.htm#Adding%20Neutral%20Wire%20to%20enable%20work%20with%20compact%20fluorescent

Here are the additional details you need to accomplish Idobartana's mods.  If you're going to be using CFLs with X10 be sure to read the whole thread not just this post.

http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=14210.msg78894#msg78894

Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.