Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cant get computer to recognize USB video adapter..  (Read 14151 times)

hfrdust

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Cant get computer to recognize USB video adapter..
« on: November 09, 2008, 07:58:58 PM »

has anyone else had problems installing the VA11A USB to video adapter? I installed the Vanguard software and plugged in the adapter when instructed.  My computer tells me now that I have a VA12 adapter installed and that it is NOT functioning correctly.  I have uninstalled-reinstalled the software several times and restarted my computer as well.  When I try and start the Vanguard program I get the same error message. Vanguard requires an installed VA12A/VA11A video adapter!!!  I have tried different USB ports on my computer and still the same error message.....
  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 I am running WinXP Pro with ATI graphics if that matters.
 Thanks,

schnurro

Re: Cant get computer to recognize USB video adapter..
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 06:33:15 PM »

I can't get mine to work either (sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't) and X10 asks me to buy a powered USB hub or maybe its a defective VA11A but I told them I just want to send both of my Sentinal cameras back because I am not a guinea pig.

Kramer Chins

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
    • Kramer Chins
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 08:51:41 PM »

First off the VA12A is a Newer version of the VA11A...

And I too had the same problem with my VA12A when I girst hooked it up (I'm running Vista) so after several weeks of batteling X10 Tech Support (what a joke!) I was told to try a POWERED USB HUB. Went to Wal-Mart dropped $20 on a Powered USB Hub and everything is fine. It seems the VA12A pulls so much power and if you have other USB devices plugged in it can't get the power it needs.

So IMO I would try a POWERED Hub first...
Registered Members of MCBA... WWW.KRAMERCHINS.COM

Trying to learn X10 Day by Day...........

garagedude

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 11:23:17 PM »

Is the 12 really better than the 11 because my images stink..

Kramer Chins

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
    • Kramer Chins
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 05:46:25 AM »

I'm not sure how the VA12A and the the VA11A act different in Vanguard..... I have AHP (  :' the buggy version 3.26) and I tried the VA11A which gave me no picture, just a white screen. So I put the VA12A back on and everything was fine.

Also try setting your cameras and receiver to a different channel ( factory setting is "A")and see if you picture clears up. I have all mine on "D". You could also have noise in your lines, this will affect picture quality.

Do some searches on here and see if you find anything, and I'm sure one of the seasoned more educated guys on here will jump on and give you some better answers!
Registered Members of MCBA... WWW.KRAMERCHINS.COM

Trying to learn X10 Day by Day...........

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 09:22:12 AM »

Is the 12 really better than the 11 because my images stink..

Yes. The [old] VA11A was introduced early on when the video technology was much newer. The VA12A was just recently released and has much better (greater) resolution.

I bought mine with a "camera deal" (VA12A and a wired low-light camera for $50)... making it hard to pass up.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

bronco

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 11:29:41 PM »

I have the same problem with the VA12a.  I just get a blank flashing screen.
I have been dealing with X10 support since Jan09.
I am on my third return va12a.  still the same.
For the first one I could not get the drivers loaded.
I have uninstalled, cleaned everything from the registry, unloaded the AHP drivers. Several times
Re-downloaded the VA12 drivers, and this time it at least loaded the drivers in the correct spot.
I have tried to get it working in Safe Mode with networking, tried USB2 ports on a separate usb(Belkin) board, on a powered USB2 hub, on USB1 and USB1 powered hub. Same results.
I had the  VA11 working before I tried the VA12a.
I am running Winxp Sp-2.
I also have an ATI All-in-one card for graphics.
I get X10 support to trade emails and phone calls for awhile and then they disappear for a few weeks until I start buging them.
I did get to their senior support but it never got fixed.
The one thing that the senior guy told me was that the Va12a drivers in Device Manager show up under "Sound ...." NOT  under "Imaging devices" like the VA11 does.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 03:46:59 AM »

Bronco,

Not sure how much help this will be, but as a test, I have set up the VA11A and used it as a web-cam in Windows Live Messenger.

I'd figure you could do the same with the VA12A, just to verify driver installation and such.

Hope that's some help at least.

>!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 09:02:08 AM »

The VA12 requires a USB2 and lots of power. Make sure you have a USB2 type port and that the VA12 is not sharing a port with any other USB Devices.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.