Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Problems installing VA11A USB video adapter...  (Read 11982 times)

hfrdust

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Problems installing VA11A USB video adapter...
« on: November 10, 2008, 12:55:27 AM »

Hello,
 Has anyone else had problems installing the VA11A USB to video adapter? I installed the Vanguard software and plugged in the USB video adapter when instructed.  My computer tells me now that I have a VA12A(actually it is a VA11A)  adapter installed and that it is NOT functioning correctly.  I have uninstalled-reinstalled the software several times and restarted my computer as well.  When I try and start the Vanguard program I get the same error message. "Vanguard requires an installed VA12A/VA11A video adapter"!!!  I have tried different USB ports on my computer and still the same error message.....Tech support has been difficult, to say the least, to get any help from at this point??
  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I am running WinXP Pro with ATI graphics if that matters.
Thanks!!

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
Re: Problems installing VA11A USB video adapter...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 07:29:50 AM »

If you right-click on COMPUTER, select MANAGE, and look under (I think) Video input - Does it show "Intel PC Camera" or VA11A?

PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

hfrdust

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 09:16:51 AM »

When I right click on my computer and go to hardware it tells me that I have a VA12A video adapter installed, but there is an exclamation point over the hardware status..  For some reason the computer is not recognizing the adapter is installed and therefor the software when started wont even let me enter the registration info.
Thanks for your help.

LePendule

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 09:12:08 AM »

Hi everybody,

I worked on this issue several days, Windows always show the VA11A as an unknown device. I was unable to go further in the installation of Vanguard software.

This device MUST to work with USB 2 port. I have USB 2 Port but this was an electrical issue. Depending of your motherboard installed in your computer you should not have enough Current to feed this device or all the devices plug in the USB 2 Ports.

So I bought a USB Hub (30 $ (Can)) with an adapter plug in a wall outlet to solve this issue.

Then I load the software following this procedure sent to me by Tech Priority

l  Greetings!

Please follow this complete reinstall procedure for Vanguard:

1.    Delete the folder at C:\Program Files\Vanguard. Disconnect your VA11A Video Capture Adapter.

2.    Reboot the computer.

3.    Go to My computer | C: | Program files | Common files.

4.    Delete the 'X10' folder. If you receive a message that states you cannot delete this folder, go to step 5. If you can delete it, go to step 9.

5.    Press the Crtl, Alt, and Del buttons on your keyboard at the same time to bring up Task Manager.

6.    Click on Processes. End process for x10net.exe.

7.   Delete the 'X10' folder in the 'Common Files' folder.

8.   If this does not work, reboot the computer and repeatedly press F8 while it loads to bring up the Safe Mode menu. Boot into Safe Mode and delete the 'X10' folder in the 'Common Files' folder.

9.   Reboot the computer.

10.   Install the Vanguard software and plug in the VA11A when prompted.

11.   Reboot the computer again.

12.   Rename the C:\My Images folder to C:\My Old Images (or just delete it.)

13.   Open Vanguard, go into Options-Video Rec, select Record in Standard AVI format, and hit OK.

The Vanguard software should now operate correctly. If you have any more questions, please reply to this email. Thanks for choosing X10!

After the download the device work properly but I still only have Vangard Browser in Program. I don't have the Vangurad program by itself.

But since I have a TV Tuner video card installed in my computer I made test and my VA11A (VA12A) is working.

I understand that this TV tuner card could make conflict but I thinks it should not be an issue with the downloading of the Vanguard program.

Any Idea ???

Pierre

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 04:20:27 PM »

What version of Windows? VISTA I believe still has problems with the VA11A

LePendule

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 07:04:37 PM »

Windows XP pro!!

Thanks!

LePendule

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 02:08:28 PM »

Hi,
I'm still always in problem with the downloading of Vanguard.

Pentium 4 3Ghz
Windows XP SP2
Dial-up connection but I still try with Fast connection on cable
Internet Explorer 6

I start from scratch deleting and disabling all the components and software that could interfere with downloading of Vanguard.

Around 80 % at the prompt I have connected the VA11A and the firecracker. Then the downloading have continued until 89% the I received a message that the installation was complete.

The VA11A became VA12A in the device manager in Audio, video and game and work properly.
I can see the firecracker in device manager in the USB Port and work properly.

But in All the programs I only have the Vanguard Browser and not the Vanguard program by itself.
It seems that after 89% the downloading was stopped by I don't know what.
I have tried many links without result.

I downloaded many softwares on Internet and I nerver saw a so ...... software like Vanguard.

The Tech priority service seems to don't have any idea of the cause of this issue!!!

Hoping someone could find the piece of sand in the gearbox.

Thanks!!

WineMan

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 01:17:15 AM »

I struggled with the same issues. Downloaded the Vanguard software, plugged the video adapter in when prompted, but then the installation would freeze at 89 percent complete. I'd have to use task manager to get out of it. However, the PC would not restart correctly after that and I'd have to use safe mode and system restore (Windows XP). I tried to install on an XP machine which had a fresh installation of XP after a reformat just to make sure that I didn't have a weird software conflict. Same problem.

After calling for tech support, they suggested that I tried to install Sentinal instead of Vanguard, saying that some people had better luck with it. I tried that too, but still had the same issue with the software intall locking up at 89 percent complete.

I can't tell you how many ways, and sequences and variations I tried to get the drivers for the video adapter to install correctly. I must have used system restore 30 times. I nearly gave up and sent the whole system back. But I called one more time, hoping to find someone who could help. I thought there was a glimmer of hope when I detailed everything that I had done, and every procedure that I had tried. The X10 tech told me that I needed to do a forced install of the drivers. I asked how that was different from the driver installation procedure on the website that I had already tried a hundred times. They assured me that the "forced install" instructions were different. When I got the email, they were the same procedures I had seen on the website. ARGGG!!!

The good news is that I finally got this to work. And I don't think it would have been any different if it had been Vanguard or Sentinal. But I'm using Sentinal. I'm not exactly sure what I did, and I don't even know if I could recreate it. But here's a couple suggestions:

Uninstall Vanguard and/or Sentinal. If you can't (which I couldn't -- "can't find InstallLog file"), manually delete the Vanguard/Sentinal folder under program files, then delete the X10 folder under Program Files>Common Files. Reboot the machine.

Now, install the software again. And I'd suggest you brow-beat the X10 tech to email the software to you and install from the zip file instead of using the download link. When you get to the point where the software prompts you to plug in the video capture unit, make sure you're plugging it into a USB 2.0 port. It won't work otherwise. And while the prompt asks you to plug in other USB devices (like Firecracker, etc.), don't plug them in. Allow the software to install. When it's finished, you must reboot the machine. BUT BEFORE YOU REBOOT, unplug the video capture unit from the USB port. On my machine at least, Windows XP can't or will not reboot with the VA112A connected to the USB port. Once you have a good restart, wait a couple of minutes to make sure that Windows is done doing it's thing. Then plug the USB devices into the USB 2.0 ports. If successful, you should be able to find them in device manager, and when you right-click and select properties for the device, it should tell you that it's working.

Now start Vanguard/Sentinal and enter the registration information. Should be good to go.

So the key problem that I found is that Windows XP will not load if the VA111A or VA112A is plugged in. Unplug it, then reboot, then plug it in once the machine is up and running. Shouldn't be this way, but at least now, after hours and hours of frustration, I have something that works.

RAYMAN

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 05:50:19 PM »

There is no Vanguard program file that runs on the host computer. It is the xvidns.dll file in the common files\x10\common dir., run with rundll32.exe. You must have the shortcut that properly sets up the operation. An aborted install or other problem may leave you without it. I had one do it. Create a shortcut to rundll32.exe in the x10\common directory, then insert the xvidns.dll as the target. It should look something like this [ "C:\Program Files\Common Files\X10\Common\rundll32.exe" C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\X10\COMMON\xvidns.dll,EntryPoint ] Change the name in in the general tab to Vanguard, and the icon to xvidns.dll. Then it may run. Also place a copy of rundll32.exe from your windows\system32 directory in the x10 common directory overwriting the original dated some time in 2001.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.