Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BVC problems :-(  (Read 15378 times)

studmaster

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
BVC problems :-(
« on: November 10, 2008, 09:32:51 PM »

Hey guys,

I'm new to AHP and BVC, and can't for the life of me figure out what's wrong here.  I am trying to get BVC to say something when a door sensor is triggered.  From what I read I have to have a false switch attached to the door sensor.  I haven't even been able to get that far yet.  To test everything out, I hooked up a lamp to a lamp module and in BVC.   I have it set up that whenever I turn that module on, BVC tells me "The Lamp is On".  I have BVC to respond to "Both Power Line and RF Commands".  The weird thing is that when I use the RF remote to turn on the lamp module BVC says "The Lamp is On".  But when I use the AHP software to manually turn the lamp on, BVC doesn't do anything.

Any thoughts?  It doesn't seem to me that BVC can recognize power line commands. I'm lost here.

Thanks in advance for any help.
SM

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: BVC problems :-(
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 10:05:23 PM »

Check the activity monitor in AHP.

Is it actually sending On or brighten 100%?

Depending on how you have defined the light module, AHP itself may send brighten 100% instead of on when you "flip the switch" on the AHP screen.  ;)

Hope that helps, otherwise, more info about your specific module and AHP setup will be needed.
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 10:05:41 PM »

• I'm new to AHP and BVC, and can't for the life of me figure out what's wrong here. 
  • I am trying to get BVC to say something when a door sensor is triggered.  From what I read I have to have a false switch attached to the door sensor.  I haven't even been able to get that far yet. 

To test everything out, I hooked up a lamp to a lamp module and in BVC.   I have it set up that whenever I turn that module on, BVC tells me "The Lamp is On".  I have BVC to respond to "Both Power Line and RF Commands".  The weird thing is that when I use the RF remote to turn on the lamp module BVC says "The Lamp is On".  But when I use the AHP software to manually turn the lamp on, BVC doesn't do anything.

Any thoughts?  It doesn't seem to me that BVC can recognize power line commands. I'm lost here.

OK....
  • In "Devices" set up a module (lets say its A1) and call it "Test Lamp".
  • Now you should be able to command the lamp both On and Off by simply saying [Attention phrase] "Computer" (then) "Test Lamp On" (saying "Test Lamp Off" should turn it Off)
  • Now in "Listeners" the listener should listen to the A1 On. The listener should be listening on BOTH the RF and line ("Both Power Line and RF Commands"). Have BVC say "Test Lamp ON"
Home Automation is an always changing technology

studmaster

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 08:34:57 AM »

Check the activity monitor in AHP.

Is it actually sending On or brighten 100%?

Depending on how you have defined the light module, AHP itself may send brighten 100% instead of on when you "flip the switch" on the AHP screen.  ;)

Hope that helps, otherwise, more info about your specific module and AHP setup will be needed.

Thanks for the help Bill!  I checked the Activity Monitor and for the LM465 it's sending the "On" command, not the brighten when in AHP.  When I use either one of the RF remotes, the BVC listener triggers fine.  Just not when I'm in AHP and clicking the light switch module up and down.

So far my set up is simple...I want to get the basics working before I attempt more.  I have the CM15A and an LM465 controlling the lamp.  Then I also have an appliance module (AM751) controlling a heater.  When I use RF remotes to control the modules BVC's listeners are triggered, but not when I'm in AHP and turning them on with my mouse.  Any thoughts?

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 12:49:33 AM »

Thanks for the help Bill!  I checked the Activity Monitor and for the LM465 it's sending the "On" command, not the brighten when in AHP.  When I use either one of the RF remotes, the BVC listener triggers fine.  Just not when I'm in AHP and clicking the light switch module up and down.

So far my set up is simple...I want to get the basics working before I attempt more.  I have the CM15A and an LM465 controlling the lamp.  Then I also have an appliance module (AM751) controlling a heater.  When I use RF remotes to control the modules BVC's listeners are triggered, but not when I'm in AHP and turning them on with my mouse.  Any thoughts?

Totally lost as to what your problem is.  I have gone so far as to run the Trial version of BVC 0.2.0.4 and use a X10 address that is neither "Monitored" nor "Transceived" in AHP.  Clicking the switch on in AHP, or even raising the brightness from 0% triggers the BVC listener.

What version of BVC and AHP are you using, and is BVC the Trial or Full version?
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

studmaster

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 09:51:22 AM »

Totally lost as to what your problem is.  I have gone so far as to run the Trial version of BVC 0.2.0.4 and use a X10 address that is neither "Monitored" nor "Transceived" in AHP.  Clicking the switch on in AHP, or even raising the brightness from 0% triggers the BVC listener.

What version of BVC and AHP are you using, and is BVC the Trial or Full version?

I'm using the newest Trial version of BVC from the website (0.2.0.4).  I'll end up buying the full version if I can get it working the way I would like it to.   AHP version 3.235.   Would where I have my CM15A plugged in matter at all?  I have it plugged into a power bar. 

Just to get this straight, I have a appliance module hooked up to the lamp an in AHP, set up an appliance module that when clicked on with the mouse, turns on.  Then in BVC I have set up an appliance device and a listener that should say the phrase "The lamp is on", when it hears the A3 code.  Is that the proper way to set it up?

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 10:55:02 PM »

I'm using the newest Trial version of BVC from the website (0.2.0.4).  I'll end up buying the full version if I can get it working the way I would like it to.   AHP version 3.235.   Would where I have my CM15A plugged in matter at all?  I have it plugged into a power bar. 

Just to get this straight, I have a appliance module hooked up to the lamp an in AHP, set up an appliance module that when clicked on with the mouse, turns on.  Then in BVC I have set up an appliance device and a listener that should say the phrase "The lamp is on", when it hears the A3 code.  Is that the proper way to set it up?

Actually, defining a device in BVC isn't even necessary.  All that actually does is give an X10 address a "spoken name" that BVC will recognize means that X10 address when using BVC's built in voice commands.

If your listener is defined to listen for A3 ON and both power line and RF commands then it should work.

One thing about the Trial Version of BVC though, just like voice commands, listeners will only work until the Trial Version times out and to get them to work again you will have to close and re-start BVC (after saving your changes, of course).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 10:59:53 PM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

studmaster

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 05:48:10 PM »

Actually, defining a device in BVC isn't even necessary.  All that actually does is give an X10 address a "spoken name" that BVC will recognize means that X10 address when using BVC's built in voice commands.

If your listener is defined to listen for A3 ON and both power line and RF commands then it should work.

One thing about the Trial Version of BVC though, just like voice commands, listeners will only work until the Trial Version times out and to get them to work again you will have to close and re-start BVC (after saving your changes, of course).

hmmm, weird.  I can't figure out why its not working.  I'll try uninstalling BVC and re-installing it again.  Sometimes that helps for reasons unknown.

I made sure BVC was running, it hadn't timed out when I was testing it.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.