Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Temp. Sensor  (Read 3381 times)

gottoast

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Temp. Sensor
« on: November 17, 2008, 11:38:18 AM »

Hello I am looking to monitor the temperature in a room and when it gets below a certain Temp. send me an e-mail.  Now I think I can handle the code part however how in the world do I monitor the temperature as there used to be a sensor called TempLinc but that is no longer avail.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this would be great!

Thanks-
Khris

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Temp. Sensor
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 12:14:35 PM »

Hello I am looking to monitor the temperature in a room and when it gets below a certain Temp. send me an e-mail.  Any ideas on how to accomplish this would be great!

Thanks-
Khris

If you do not need to know the actual temperature (the TempLinc function) then a cheap mechanical thermostat and a X10 Powerflash can be substituted. When the room temperature dropped below the thermostat set point, the Powerflash will transmit an ON signal for the HCUC which it is set to. When the room re-warmed above the set point, the Powerflash would transmit a HCUC OFF signal.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 12:51:07 PM »

Dave's suggestion is probably the easiest X10 approach to solving your problem.

If you're interested in keeping something like pipes from freezing, I've found a small heater plugged into this to be useful.

Check around for the best prices at http://www.nextag.com/thermo-cube/search-html.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 01:03:26 PM »

If your application would really work best with a TempLinc Sensor, then check this eBay link. Seller has 7 available at the time of this post.  Personally I think they're a bit pricey for what they do but if you need to test for an odd temperature point, it might be your best option.

BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Alan V

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 02:03:27 PM »

I remembered this article from Circuit Cellar magazine.   It's a good solution.  If you're technically savvy, you could build one.

http://www.circuitcellar.com/library/print/1299/Blake113/8.htm

Then click on "Download the PDF of this article."
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 02:05:00 PM by Alan V »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.