Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Blue Screen on TV  (Read 4981 times)

smalljm

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Blue Screen on TV
« on: November 14, 2008, 02:58:41 PM »

We have a brand new Philips VCR-DVD recorder and a Samsung HD wall tv...We can't seem to record.
All we get is a blue screen...It will record but I don't get the channel on the screen while I am
recording.  We get L1 L2..DISC and little picture from the TV..and then it goes to blank and blue.
Does anyone have any ideas what is wrong with this thing?!!

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
Re: Blue Screen on TV
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 03:36:32 PM »

I don't think you can blame X10 for this one !

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 03:49:04 PM »

...It will record but I don't get the channel on the screen while I am
recording. 

Since your recording... I would chance to guess.. you are likely connected properly. You may want to check your setting on your Philips VCR-DVD recorder... or your source selection on the TV.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

smalljm

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 09:04:37 PM »

...It will record but I don't get the channel on the screen while I am recording. 

Since your recording... I would chance to guess.. you are likely connected properly. You may want to check your setting on your Philips VCR-DVD recorder... or your source selection on the TV.

Thanks for your response.  When I am recording, the setting on the Philips VCR-DVD is L1 or L2, but the screen is blue and I can't figure out any way to switch to a mode where I can record and watch the program at the same time.  When I press "Source" on the Samsung TV remote, the screen says "No input devices are connected."  Does that tell you anything?  By the way, the cable signal is also being run through an RF modulator because my TV has only a coax input.  So, the cable box is outputting to the modulator via a coax cable, the modulator is outputting to the TV via another coax cable, and the VCR-DVD is outputting to the modulator via red, white, and yellow audio/video plugs.

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 09:23:55 PM »

Quick question on the side .....you said it was a "Samsung HD wall tv..." if it is HD then you have to have more then coax input!! HD would at least have the componet video  input (blue,green,red)and a A/v input (yellow,red,white).

The RF modulator is the problem. cause it will shut off the coax input to it the minute the VCR-DVD recorder comes on. so the setup you have listed would  not record anything cause your cable doesn't run to the VCR_DVD thing. There is no input to it that you mention?

does the VCR_DVD have a coax input and/or output

you could hook the cable box into the VCR-DVD and then hook the VCR-DVD to the TV!!

I hope this makes since at all.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 09:37:04 PM by jsnlong1979 »
People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 10:39:37 PM »

........  When I am recording, the setting on the Philips VCR-DVD is L1 or L2, but the screen is blue and I can't figure out any way to switch to a mode where I can record and watch the program at the same time. 

It might be easier if you search google, MSN, or Yahoo for better setup directions. You should be able to find drawings and such. There are multiple ways to remove a fur covering from feline... and I image the same can be said for TV connections. But watching what your recording (or not) isn't generally a difficult setup.

smalljm

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 07:37:21 PM »

Quick question on the side .....you said it was a "Samsung HD wall tv..." if it is HD then you have to have more then coax input!! HD would at least have the componet video  input (blue,green,red)and a A/v input (yellow,red,white).

The RF modulator is the problem. cause it will shut off the coax input to it the minute the VCR-DVD recorder comes on. so the setup you have listed would  not record anything cause your cable doesn't run to the VCR_DVD thing. There is no input to it that you mention?

does the VCR_DVD have a coax input and/or output

you could hook the cable box into the VCR-DVD and then hook the VCR-DVD to the TV!!

I hope this makes since at all.

OMG, we do have A/V inputs on the TV-- they were hidden by the way the TV was positioned on the wall!  We just took out the RF modulator, connected the TV directly to the cable box, and bought a set of six-foot A/V cables from Radio Shack to connect the A/V inputs on the TV to the A/V outputs on the VCR-DVD.  Now, everything is working fine. Thanks so much for your assistance!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 11:58:06 AM »

Forgive my insolence, but gee whiz, doesn't anyone believe in reading the instructions anymore?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 04:14:12 PM »

I did on my Visio LCD and still missed the hidden Headphone jack.  ::)  rofl

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 06:58:06 PM »

I think... many of the new sales of LCD's are sold with the mount and wall attachment as part of the sale. So the buyer is presented with a connected TV and some brief use directions. All-in-all... its not a bad thing to have a large screen professionally mounted. I can remember in the '50's my Dad bought a color TV that had to be setup and degaussed.

For some of us Home Automation do-it-yourselvers... like myself... I'd be (was) compelled to do-it myself.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.