Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Door Window Sensor installation question.  (Read 9063 times)

mkhenry

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Door Window Sensor installation question.
« on: December 01, 2008, 11:53:31 AM »

I installed my X10 system 2 days ago and have had problems with 2 of the 14 W/D sensors that I installed.  I have the PS561 Voice Dialer Security console and the DS10A W/D sensors.  I have aluminum windows and my question is about mounting the sensor contacts.  I mounted the half with no wires to the moveable part of the window with the tape and screws.  The part with the wires could not be mounded with screws because the moveable window frame slides behind the fixed portion next to the wall (clear as mud but the best way I can describe it).  Today I read about using just a better quality of 2-sided tape and/or silicone but I wanted to see if the way I mounted them is acceptable or could be why I have had problems with 2 sensors in the past 2 days.  I mounted the contact with the wires 90 degrees from the position that has the arrows pointed at each other.  In other words, I have the fixed contact so that the wiring screws are facing the operator and screwed the contact into the frame on the side of the window,  the moveable contact arrow is facing the fixed contact but the fixed contace arrow is facing the window frame.  The first night,  everything was great until my daughter came home and she could not rearm the system.  It was reporting a fault on sensor at zone 5. I assumed that it had not sent a status report so I changed the batteries and went through the entire install process with all 14 sensors.  Later in the day, the zone 5 sensor did the same thing.  I replaced it with an extra that came with the package I ordered, reinstalled all 14 again, and it has worked fine ever since.  Last night, the sensor in Zone 13 must not have reported in because it showed a fault this morning and the system would not arm until I bypassed it.  I installed new batteries which cleared the fault and will now wait. 
So 2 questions, will my contacts work reliably as mouinted ( I think I know the answer but would like an opinion from someone with more experience) , also, when I reinstalled my sensors, I reset the console, set the switch to install, and walked around the house and pressed the test button on each sensor.  Got a ding each time.  Can you do them all at once or should the switch me moved from install to run 1 or 2 after each sensor. Also, how much time should I wait between installing sensors.
I apologize for the long winded post but wanted to get it right the first time.  Thanks in advance for your help.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Door Window Sensor installation question.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 10:25:40 PM »

.......... The first night,  everything was great until my daughter came home and she could not rearm the system.  It was reporting a fault on sensor at zone 5. I assumed that it had not sent a status report so I changed the batteries and went through the entire install process with all 14 sensors.  Later in the day, the zone 5 sensor did the same thing.  I replaced it with an extra that came with the package I ordered, reinstalled all 14 again, and it has worked fine ever since.  Last night, the sensor in Zone 13 must not have reported in because it showed a fault this morning and the system would not arm until I bypassed it.  I installed new batteries which cleared the fault and will now wait. 

Welcome to the forum mkhenry. [/size]  It sounds to me (IMHO) that you've got it all figured out!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 05:32:40 AM »

If you installed the system only a few days ago, and used new batteries then, it sounds to me like you might have a range issue going on.  There are 3 ways to solve/fix a range issue:

1. Re-locate the console to a more central place.
2. Try some passive sensor antennae (search/read here)
3. Get a repeater.

I had the problem.  My 2 farthest DS10A's would sometimes work, sometimes not.  I tried the batteries, (and bought a simple tester), tried the passive antenna, but ended up with an SR731 smart repeater.  But it's a trade-off - I now get a lot of double-RF.

PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 12:00:26 PM »

...... There are 3 ways to solve/fix a range issue

One more possible solution for range issues with the DS-10A door-window sensor. Extend the wire on the unit to the magnetic reed switch. I have extended some of mine by 30 feet... getting most of the (battery holding) sending units in the same room as the console. Extending the wire to the reed switch can also be a good solution if only to get the unit away from RF interference devices of RF absorbing (large metal) obstructions.

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 12:09:45 PM »

Extend the wire on the unit to the magnetic reed switch.

That's a great one!  :)%   And I know of a few places where I might try it!  Thanks!

(Of course, I cant do that too much - just the thought of "more wires" sends my WAF into the cellar. :'()
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 12:58:06 PM »

(Of course, I cant do that too much - just the thought of "more wires" sends my WAF into the cellar. :'()
Mine too, rofl but if I spend the time to hide the wires and the transmiter it climbs a few steps! ;)
Funning how WAF cimbs real slow  but one thing wrong can put it in the basement faster then you can blink!  :'(  :'( ::)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 05:25:12 PM »

..... just the thought of "more wires"

Yeah.... I am an old wire twister from way back. I do use wireless devices... I really do. But it seems as though I just can't get away from running wire... I know its just me.

mkhenry

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 08:34:06 PM »

The D/W sensor that I replaced in zone 5 is still working great after 4 days.  I guess replacing it with the spare sensor in my kit did the trick.  I remounted the contacts on the faulty unit in zone 13 and it worked well for about 20 hours (several report-in cycles) before it failed tonight  so I guess it too is a faulty sensor (I have 3 new ones on order).  I have 3 sensors that are farther away than zone 13 and none of them has even hiccuped.  I also read in this forum that others have had faulty sensors due to either quality control or "Made in China" issues.   If a new sensor doesn't fix the problem I will then try some of the solutions offered above.  BTW, it seems that mounting the contacts at 90 deegrees from the recommended positions doesn't matter as all of my other W/D sensors are fine.  Before I mounted them, I played around a bit to see how far they cound be from each other and how much offset they would tolerate before sending an alarm signal.  There is a quite a bit of room to play with as far as contact alignment goes.  Thanks for viewing this post and taking the time to offer help.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.