Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CM15A Macros  (Read 7298 times)

joako

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
CM15A Macros
« on: November 24, 2009, 12:14:29 PM »

I am wiring my house with XPT, XPFM, PAO11, etc and I have ordered the ActiveHome Pro interface CM15A. I know the CM15A has 8k of memory for macros. I also understand the CM15A can work with all the house codes.

My issue with the XPT (and all the other X10 controllers for that matter) is that the devices it controls are consecutive. This ultimately will not work with my lighting arrangement. Keeping in mind that flexible control and automation are the goal I would like to keep the system simple as possible. I plan to assign different house codes for different groups of lighting e.g outdoor lights. In regards to keypads I will be using such as  XPT, PHC01, etc those will be on their own house code. The idea is to load macros into the CM15A for various functions.

The thing with the CM15A macros is I do not want to depend on having a computer running 24/7. So I want to know exactly what sort of macros require the computer and which can be loaded to the CM15A directly? Also, does macros being loaded into the CM15A affect operation when it is connected to a PC? If I did leave it connected to a PC It would be for secondary operation and it would be running Linux, not Windows (I understand to load the macros I will have to use a Windows PC with the ActiveHome software)

I put the entire setup I plan in case I am not on the right track with this setup, but the cliff notes version of my question is highlighted above in boldface text.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: CM15A Macros
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 12:47:38 PM »

.... Keeping in mind that flexible control and automation are the goal I would like to keep the system simple as possible. ....... I want to know exactly what sort of macros require the computer

You need a computer for all security macros, and for video, and emails, text messages.

If... your just thinking about turning lights on and off... or maybe with themes.. you can do that with just an interface. But it would be my guess... that once you experience Home Automation you will realize that non-computer aided automation is little more than a clapper.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

joako

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 01:26:23 PM »

What is a "security macro?" I am not doing video and if I did it it would not be with X10 products.

I want to get the basics to work without a computer... I don't want to depend on it. And like I said it would not be with the Windows X10 software anyways.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 03:48:42 PM »

What software do you plan to use; when you download the macros to the CM15A AHP Interface?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 04:59:38 PM »

joako:
Macros that can be downloaded to the interface(cm15) are simple no conditions.
With the smartmacro plug-in you can get  conditions and Else's
The software (Active Home Pro) basically will tell you if the macro needs to be run from the PC or not.
Dave basically told you what couldn't be run with out a PC connection, security macro uses security sensors.
Hope that Helps.
 >!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 05:02:05 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 10:24:33 PM »

joako,

The short answer is; "Yes, what you want to do i.e. receive A1 On from controller and send out L1 On to module will run as a stand-alone macro in the CM15A interface."

I handled all of my RF remotes that way, for just the same reason, any button can effectively be assigned to any House Code / Unit Code and even different functions than just plain on and off!   -:)

>!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

joako

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 12:55:02 PM »

Well I have gotten the download link for the software and I will attempt to use it without the interface.

joako

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 03:27:13 PM »

I've installed the activehome pro software version 3.236 and registered it. I did not install the smartmacros yet. It seems any macro this can generate is loadable to the "interface." Am I wrong in assuming this is correct because the option is not greyed out?

Also I don't see why e.g MS14A will not work with these macros. For the time being I want one to control the operation of certain light on/off at dawn/dusk (ignoring the actual motion sensing abilities)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 08:36:08 PM »

The MS14A sends a X10 On at dusk and an X10 Off at dawn. Using the Address the motion sensor is set to +1 Unit Code.
Like a motion sensor on M1 for motion would use M2 for the Dusk Dawn.
3.236 has been reported to have bugs. Many have back tracked to 3.228.

stoney

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 08:51:25 PM »

There actually are several programs that address the CM15a though not all of them do it in a similar manner nor do they all function with the same degree of consistency with regard to performance.

I know that some of the linux based HA programs are more suited toward the (Serial based) CM11a, which as we know, has no provision for command storage as does the CM15a.

While your quest has several avenues to explore, you might find yourself going with a different OS, program and interface. The CM15a was written primarily for Windows using USB and Active Home Pro software.

Sorry, but to quote Walter Cronkite, "and that's the way it is."

Good luck with your choices!

joako

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 01:53:15 PM »

Well the main think I would like is every light in the house be driven by an XPFM, XPDM, etc and replace all the current switches with XPT and be able to have better control of the lighting accross the house. Linux or Windows I don't want to depend on a computer to be running. I doubt I will have a Windows computer running 24/7... sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. My file, etc server is Linux so if I can control the CM15a from it great, if not I can run it without a PC which so far for what I am doing works great I almost have all the outside lights X10 controlled and starting to work on the inside now.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 10:01:08 PM »

... Linux or Windows I don't want to depend on a computer to be running.

I can understand that.

I never wanted to depend on computer control ether. But the features available with a Home Automation computer are just SO worth it. I mean... without a computer I can still operate lights with a remote. I also have a chime that chimes if my perimeter sensors detect movement in case the computer was to fail. I even use an old VCR to record security camera video... as a back up.

But without a computer controlling my automation.... I lose a LOT.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

joako

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 04:15:40 PM »

I've installed Smart Macros and created one using flags and conditions. It appears to load fine into the CM15A. I will find out tonight if it really works.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.