Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lights flicker but will not stay on  (Read 2489 times)

daveva

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Lights flicker but will not stay on
« on: December 19, 2008, 11:26:31 AM »

Some of my Christmas lights will not turn on all the time. One night they will work next night they won't. I then turn them on with the remote but sometimes it takes several attempts other times they turn on the first attempt. You can hear the receptacle click several times and the light will flicker. I checked the signal strength and it's ok .Could this be noise in line or bad receptacles?   

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Lights flicker but will not stay on
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 12:57:31 PM »

Are they LED Lights?
To check the modules. Try a standard light bulb in the outlet and see if it also acts the same.
Are the modules in question the wall outlet ones or a plug in appliance module?

daveva

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 07:01:03 PM »

Thanks for the reply. They are not LED but they are 40 watt spot lights that illuminate decorations.The modules are wall outlet type. The three that fail are all on the same power circuit. I have tested this circuit many times and I get a good x-10 signal.I find it hard to believe that all three would be faulty at the same time. 

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 06:10:49 AM »

I have seen reports [though not too recently] about the plastic actuator the toggles the mechanical switch on and off. Cracking or sticking. Causing the clatter. If the switch doesn't go on the module will try a few times to turn on and then give up. If you have a decent X10 signal then maybe they have failed or are getting intermittent.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 10:06:16 AM »

I had one outlet fail that way in less than a year, but another one from the same lot has been working for amost 5 years now.  Both were the Leviton version.  That little plastic actuator broke in the one that failed.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.