Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jut want to turn on some outdoor lights...  (Read 3932 times)

rsmkjk5039

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Jut want to turn on some outdoor lights...
« on: December 28, 2008, 08:02:11 PM »

Hello all,
New to this forum but have been reading the X10 products for about an hour now.  I'm a little confused and overwhelmed by the number of products available.  I'd like to do something that is probably more simple than what most of you are doing with the X10 products...I'd just like to turn on some outdoor lighting on either side of my garage door and also turn on lighting on my front porch with remote motion sensors.  Presently these lights are controlled with separate wall switches in the house.
As far as I can tell, I'll need the following products:
Two wall switch receivers
Two outdoor motion detectors

Will the motion sensors trigger the wall switch or will I need any more hardware? i.e. transceivers? 

Also, will the wall switches (PLW01) fit under a standard strike plate?
Thanks for your help.

PS-I wanted to purchase decorative outdoor lights that had motion sensors already built-in.  However, these are usually the security style and not the decorative style.  Hence the desire for wireless motion detectors.

Boiler

Re: Jut want to turn on some outdoor lights...
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 09:38:18 PM »

rsmkjk5039,

Welcome to the forum.

I don't mean to dissuade you from getting into X10, but there are many motion sensing "coach style" light fixtures available.  Try a google   search for "security coach lights".  They are also available at Lowes and Home Depot.

To answer your other X10 questions:
1) Yes you will need a transceiver to convert the RF from the motion sensors into "powerline" commands that the PLW01's can understand..
2) The PLW01 is designed for use with a standard "Toggle Style" wall plate.

If your existing switch locations are on opposite electrical phases, you may need a phase coupler.

rsmkjk5039

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 01:50:52 PM »

Thanks for the information about the X10 products and the reference to the coach lights. Problem is...I like the lighting that does not have the built in motion sensors.  I think I may take your advise and not dive into X10 however, I may just hardwire an external motion sensor into the mix.
Regards...

Boiler

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 02:16:51 PM »

Thanks for the information about the X10 products and the reference to the coach lights. Problem is...I like the lighting that does not have the built in motion sensors.  I think I may take your advise and not dive into X10 however, I may just hardwire an external motion sensor into the mix.
Regards...

X10 can be a nice solution for many difficult problems.  It all comes down to personal preference and what your goals are.  If you have no plans for expanding into home automation, I would opt for the hardwired approach. 

If you desire further automation in your home, X10 can provide some nice features.  It will require more of a time investment on your part.

Cheers,
Boiler

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.