Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Replacing Harmony 880 with icon remote  (Read 18203 times)

JJL

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Replacing Harmony 880 with icon remote
« on: December 28, 2008, 03:26:16 PM »

Been having trouble with a Logitech Harmony 880 remote. It is a good product but has been locking up and expensive to replace. It lets you select an activity like watch TV and turns on TV, av receiver and hd DVR. I found the icon remote on line listed as the Harmony 880 killer and bought one the directions and wizard are good and easy but there is not any information to replace an 880. You can run macros to make it work but I wanted to do it correctly and easily. Anybody else have been through this?
Thank You!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: Replacing Harmony 880 with icon remote
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 04:44:18 PM »

Been having trouble with a Logitech Harmony 880 remote. It is a good product but has been locking up and expensive to replace. It lets you select an activity like watch TV and turns on TV, av receiver and hd DVR. I found the icon remote on line listed as the Harmony 880 killer and bought one the directions and wizard are good and easy but there is not any information to replace an 880. You can run macros to make it work but I wanted to do it correctly and easily. Anybody else have been through this?
Thank You!

I and several others have been testing the eventual replacement for the current Icon remote.  We asked the same question.

X10's response was that due to patent and / or licensing issues, the US version of the Icon is not allowed to support activity based infra-red macros.   ???

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 04:46:38 PM »

The icon will not let you include any IR controlled devices in a macro. They state legal reasons!?
So you cannot macroize your tv unless it's connected to an appliance controller or you use an x10 pyramid.

Otherwise the icon can control your x10 stuff run x10 macros and control ir stuff too.
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 04:50:16 PM »

Thank You!

I and several others have been testing the eventual replacement for the current Icon remote.  We asked the same question.

X10's response was that due to patent and / or licensing issues, the US version of the Icon is not allowed to support activity based infra-red macros.   ???

It is out yet??!! Shesh..
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 04:53:43 PM »

It is out yet??!! Shesh..

Last update I heard is X10 is working on difficult code to support some of the newer devices that people haven't been able to control with the current Icon.

No release date even guessed at at present. 
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 06:01:56 PM »

..... I found the icon remote on line listed as the Harmony 880 killer and bought one the directions and wizard are good and easy but there is not any information to replace an 880.

I bought the Harmony/logitech 628 for my Home Theater and I am part of the beta-test for the Icon remote also.... So I own both.

Both remotes are awesome! But they are like apples and oranges (both delicious fruit... but not the same). The Web based interface for setting up the Harmony can be trial and error... and requires a geek. If you ARE a geek... your in luck. The Icon really does setup quicker and easier than any other [after-market theater-like remote] I've seen. Each has their own advanages... I really like them both.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 01:06:56 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

JJL

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 09:36:16 PM »

Appreciate replies from what I gather the icon remote will not replace the functionality of the Harmony 880? Even using macros to turn the components on? What would be the best approach to try and set it up? I used the wizard now I am using the learn mode and also tried to use macros to turn on the components we use the most like watch TV so TV power on, Cable box which is a HD DVR power on, AV receiver power on but I guess I am not sure where you can then start the initial "watch TV" command? The icon seems easy to set up, etc. but I am still trying to understand how it is marketed as a Logitech Harmony 880 killer? If you do not want and computer connections and a rechargeable battery I guess those are the killer apps

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 06:09:28 PM »

......... but I guess I am not sure where you can then start the initial "watch TV" command? .....

I built the watch TV macro into the "quit" button. However I think it might be best to use a "screen button".
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.