Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: One Load Lamp Micro Module Issues  (Read 3205 times)

PHughes64

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
One Load Lamp Micro Module Issues
« on: December 31, 2008, 10:40:03 AM »

Hi All,

Sorry for the potentially stupid qustion, but I've been trying to install a One Load Lamp Micro Module on a single switch light in my bedroom.  I've tried the wiring any way possible but the device still won't work.  To cover off all the basic questions - I have a transceiver module and remote which are both working fine - I've tested this with an appliance module which is working fine.

I've uploaded some photos for you to look at to maybe help... http://www.paulnhughes.me.uk/x10/ - apologies for the lack of clarity with the photos.

Any help appreciated!!!

Thanks

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: One Load Lamp Micro Module Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 06:57:15 PM »

I found the manual for the module on-line. X10 doesn't have a similar type of switch here in US but lets give it a try.

Standard Incadescent type lights?

Does the setup button cause the indicator to flicker when held or is it completely dead?

The Red and Black wires. Are they used to toggle it on and off locally with a switch?

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 08:08:25 PM »

I looked at the manual online and it looks fairly straightforward.
Live (hot from breaker box)  goes to the L connector.
Neutral (to the light fitting) goes to the 1 connector.
Red and black go to your existing switch for local control.

The problem is that you don't appear to have standard wiring for a single switch. UK switches normally have just the live (black, red or white) and neutral (black with a red band, white, red or black) with the green (bare copper or green/yellow) ground / earth tucked away in the back just like yours is. The 3 browns and 3 blues look kinda funky from where I'm sitting, but UK codes is UK codes and subject to change with the wind/weather and it's been a few years since I played with english electric.
Possibly your switch is or was part of a 2 way, 3 way or 4 way lighting circuit  - more than one switch operating the same light or lights?
Would wiring it with reverse polarity blow anything inside when the power is switched back on?
Do you have a way to test what is live and what isn't? Or a continuity tester to see what wire goes where?

USA electric is much more relaxed - over here we get to use very old-fashioned toys like wire nuts, fingers and thumbs for testing live wires, and they don't change the colour designations whenever the wind changes direction :)

Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

PHughes64

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 07:14:53 AM »

One thing to make you all aware - this house is a brand new build so the wiring and switches should be up to industry standard.  To answer some of your questions:

Brian H
  • The lights are standard lights - halogen but standard all the same.
  • The setup light doesn't flicker at all - if I hold the button down indeffinately or otherwise
  • Yes, the black and red wires are to manually send an on and off signal locally

beelocks
  • The switch was always a single switch for a single light.
  • I'm not sure about switching the polarity - not particuarly want to blow anything in the house........
  • One option I might look at is buying a tester to find out which wire is what
I know what you mean about changing the wire colouring.... is is deffinately a pain in the ass.

Thanks for all your help so far  :)

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 08:38:25 AM »

Sometimes it's the simplest things that can get us.  Have you ruled out the possibility that the unit is simply defective?  Maybe you could try it in a more controlled environment, or as suggested, get a tester.  I'd even consider an electrician at this point. Might be worth the money just help you with the pain in your arse.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 02:43:35 PM »

I notice that the One Load Lamp Micro Module is rated at 300W, incandescent lights only which means to me no CFLs or halogen lights.  It does dimming, which means it's a lamp module. 
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.