Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help controlling an appliance.  (Read 9929 times)

bobver

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Help controlling an appliance.
« on: January 03, 2009, 10:57:11 AM »

I have the DS7000 home security system installed and working.  What X10 module(s) would I need to turn ON a 110VAC appliance when an alarm occurs and turn it OFF when the alarm is cleared or after 4 minutes or so, similar to the way the siren is turned on and off????

BaBaLou.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Re: Help controlling an appliance.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 12:31:49 PM »

Hi bobver,

Based on the type of appliance needed to turn on, the appliance module will do the trick for you.

AM486- 2 pin appliance module
AM466-3 pin appliance module.

Once you have your choice and its plugged in, set the H/C & U/C to the same as the DS7000 and that should do the trick for you. When the alarm it triggered as with the extra sirens it will respond to the All light On, All lights OFF command that the console send out when triggered. Yes for about 4 mins or so is the length of time the siren sounds off and then it will resume itself back to arm, or Off on all units.
If a the module doesn't respond at first or some of the time, try plugging the appliance module in another outlet, one on the same phase or circuit at least.

Hope that help.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 12:34:41 PM by BaBaLou. »

bobver

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 01:10:46 PM »

Thanks BaBaLou, 

That’s exactly what I needed to know.   ;D   I was pretty sure that the AM486/AM466 module would trigger to the alarm mode with an intrusion but wasn’t sure it would return to the armed mode without some type of intervention on my part.

Happy New Year . .   >!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 01:39:22 PM »

Actually  none of my appliance modules trigger with an alarm trip only light modules!
Even if I set one to the same address as the DS7000! ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 02:07:34 PM »

Yes I believe the alarm sends All Lights On and All Lights Off. Appliance Modules will not respond to All Lights On and Off. Only an All Units Off and there is no present All Units On command.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 02:28:57 PM »

bobver if you really must trigger an appliance to come on/off there is a work around!
however you must remember that it will cycle on/off just like the lights and only after the 4 min will it stay on!
Using a socket rocket with a screwing plug adapter will work!
You best to get the AHP package which includes all plug-ins this will allow you to do exactly what you want and much more it easily will interface with the DS7000 security console and all the sensors! The draw back is  a PC would need to be left on when the system was armed! ;)
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

BaBaLou.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 03:50:14 PM »

AHH, so sorry folks, me bad. negative help >*<

But the appliance module does respond to All units off only, correct then?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 03:55:44 PM by BaBaLou. »

bobver

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 04:37:33 PM »

Thanks guys for the feedback.
Tuicemen, your ‘socket rocket’ work around might be acceptable except for the fact that after the 4 minute on/off cycling, I would want the ‘socket rocket’ to be in the OFF state.  I will look into the AHP package idea.  However, I don’t have my computer powered from a UPS so any power interruptions would cause the computer to re-boot and drop the app.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 06:36:05 PM »

... What X10 module(s) would I need to turn ON a 110VAC appliance when an alarm occurs and turn it OFF when the alarm is cleared or after 4 minutes or so, similar to the way the siren is turned on and off????

This is a problem that has bugged me (and I would imagine) many other security console users. Someone should find a more suitable work-around.... like a sound activated switch that could be coupled with a powerhorn.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 07:00:48 PM »

The large PH508 has a whole set of empty pads on its PC Board. Where a relay and electronics to drive it could be installed. My cases even have the holes in the back cover for the PC Board mounted screw terminals. That said I have never seen a list of actual parts used; just a few mods that kind of half worked.
I tried at one time to figure it out but so far nothing really encouraging.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 07:03:36 PM »

bobver many moons ago I posted a way to reset after a power outage think the post is buried in the AHP general section an advanced search should turn it up! ;)  AHP can be set to start when windows starts and it use to send a P16 ON  at first start up!
BaBaLou you are correct!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 07:32:47 PM »

You could also use a Powerflash unit and wire it in parallel with the siren. The powerflash has two screw terminals and can be triggered by audio within the range of 6-18 volts or dc voltage or even a switch closure, then it will send out a on/off to the HC/UC of your choice (the appliance controller) in concert with the siren. The siren signal needs to be pretty hot to trigger the powerflash but I expect it is as they are so loud.

But that's what I'd try.

;)
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 07:52:35 PM »

..........then it will send out a on/off to the HC/UC of your choice (the appliance controller) in concert with the siren.

Expect to see the powerline flooded with signals. The security console domainates the PLC during an alarm.

Wait a minute.... seems to me I did read a post where someone was using a DS7000 isolated from his powerline... by using a filter. If the powerflash and appliance module was isolated from the powerline via a filter... it could work!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 08:50:30 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 09:29:59 AM »

[Wait a minute.... seems to me I did read a post where someone was using a DS7000 isolated from his powerline... by using a filter.

I run mine isolated through a filter so it doesn't flood the power lines when tripped. It would cause my AHP macros to not get executed, so a 5A filter solve the problem.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 09:35:46 AM »

Another way to isolate it from the power line is to use a 9V walwart and run it on DC of coarse that would not work on a Power failure! ::) :'
Also Isolating it from the power line would stop the lights from flashing!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.