Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Getting DS7000 to Talk to Wired Alarm System  (Read 7554 times)

mikey_45

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Getting DS7000 to Talk to Wired Alarm System
« on: January 03, 2009, 04:11:30 PM »

Read a few posts on this topic, essentially all concluding that it can't be done, at least not without leaving a computer on with software running.  Succeeded today in doing it.  Plugged a Lamp Module into a wall socket near the wired alarm control box.  Plugged an extension cord into the Lamp Module receptacle.  Plugged a small lamp into one of the extension cord receptacles.  Fitted a small (3" x 2" x 1") project box with a 125VAC coil relay from Radioshack, Part Number 275-217.  Wired the coil terminals to the end of a plug going to the extension cord receptacle (through a grommet in the project box).  Wired the relay contacts to a bell wire going to the Panic Zone on the wired alarm control box (through another grommet).  It works!  When the DS7000 goes into alarm mode, it flashes the Lamp Module, and the little lamp.  This also trips the relay, and makes the contact going to the wired alarm system Panic Zone.  Of note - experience showed that this design would not work without the small light bulb (i.e., Christmas bulb size in a nightlight plug) plugged in.  The lamp module expects to see an incandescent bulb, even though the power requirement for the relay coil is less than 2 Watts.  Of further note - am not accepting any responsibility for the suitability of this project design for others to use for any reason.  My project is physically sound, there are no exposed wires, and I am comfortable and experienced working with 120VAC and a soldering iron (not necessarily at the same time).  I am a little concerned about the Lamp Module warning about nothing other than incandescent lamps to be plugged in.  Anyone know of any reason why I should not use the design I described above?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Getting DS7000 to Talk to Wired Alarm System
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 07:05:07 PM »

Thanks for the information. Too bad an UM506 Universal Module didn't respond to an All Lights On. That would have been so easy.  ::)

mikey_45

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 07:49:39 PM »

Yep, am compiling a list of user unfriendli-isms in the equipment.  Among them:

1.  No way to sense All Lights On on anything but a Lamp Module or Siren.  The UM, at least, would be nice.
2.  No way to sense All Lights On to trigger a Macro, at least with the computer off.
3.  No way to arm or disarm the DS7000 from an AHP Macro, unless you leave the computer on (i.e., X10Dispatcher or OnAlert)
4.  No easy way to alter the chime sound, i.e., you can't effectively use a single chime for more than one sensor, or even multiple chimes (unless you use the Universal Module as a chime or to trigger a digital tape recorder)
5.  Eagle Eye Sensors effectively take up two codes, even if you don't want to pair them with lights.
6.  The DS-7000 won't arm in any mode, even delay mode, if a door is open (i.e., garage door in my case).  You have to close the garage door, arm the system, then open it.
7.  The DS-7000 doesn't allow you to select specific zones for away or home arming.  I might want basement motion detectors on, for instance, while leaving kitchen detectors off.
8.  You can't disable the siren on the DS-7000 console, leading would-be thieves right to the source of the dialer.
9.  The motion sensors that come with the DS-7000 will not cause a zone to alert when in Run2 Mode, as will the door and window sensors. 
10. I can't change the factory entry or exit delay times.  One minute can be kind of short, if you are helping a lady into the car, then opening the door, starting the car, and leaving the garage.

Now, I'll admit, I still like the system, all in all, and there are work-arounds for the above.  I just wonder if some of this is ignorance on my part, oversight on the part of X-10, or cost trade-offs...

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 07:06:00 PM »

I tested the circuit on my test stand.
Used the same relay RS 275-0217;4 watt night light bulb;2 LM465 Lamp Modules Old style and a Soft Start;PF284 Powerflash in mode 2 to simulate a alarm trigger. Sends an All Lights On and an All Units Off.

Old style LM465 works as you found and I don't think the relay or Lamp Module would be harmed. I  have used both dimable CFL and the new CCFL bulbs on both styles with no problems.
I think the small light bulb is enough to keep them happy.

New Soft Start [X10 wiki says late 2007 and above units] is a different case. It will not work correctly. The Soft Start ramps up and down too slowly and the relay sometimes does not engage or growls terrible as it tries to go on and off.

This is also why the security lights don't flash correctly with the new soft start modules.
http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=17083.0
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 07:09:06 PM by Brian H »

mikey_45

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 07:51:35 PM »

Thanks, Brian, good info.  Glad to hear I won't burn the house down.  Guess I'll hang on to my old LM465's...

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 06:56:59 AM »

I may connect the relay and night light to a module tonight; and just let it run for awhile. To see if anything happens. Which I doubt anything will.

mikey_45

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 06:18:10 PM »

A postscript.The other day one of the interior motion detectors tripped a false alarm, about 10:00 AM, while I was at work.  My cellphone called me about 30 times over the course of the rest of the day.  Turns out that the fact that the Light Module is left on after the DS-7000 is tripped and resets, caused my wired system to repeatedly trip.  I initially tried a macro that reset the light module after 4.5 minutes (the DS-7000 resets in 4 minutes, my wired system in 5 minutes).  That worked pretty much, except that after the DS-7000 is tripped and resets, when you disarm the system, it turns the light module on again!  Of course, this trips my wired system with the relay installed.

I figured out a better way.  Since the Powerflash Module can be tripped by audio, as well as a DC voltage, I connected the speaker line from my Powerhorn to a Powerflash input.  The Powerflash is set to the house and unit code of a Universal Module, which trips the wired alarm.  It works!  No macro needed, and graceful resets after tripping.  Much better than the original solution...

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 06:42:11 PM »

......  Much better than the original solution...

I was wondering what would happen if an errant "ON" command got on that house code.   :' 

Also wondering how many "My Bad"'s the alarm company gave you.

I agree that this is a much better solution.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 08:51:17 PM »

Better than using a lamp module that can dim, you should use a socket rocket with adapters. I think that would work without a bulb. Dave has a picture of his somewhere. When he see's this post, perhaps he can post a link to his pictures.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 09:04:58 PM »

.........Dave has a picture of his somewhere. When he see's this post, perhaps he can post a link to his pictures.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

spam4us

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 10:33:32 PM »

Here's how I have 2 ds7000s connected.
Here's the link to the topic.  See the last response on the 2nd page.

http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=13487.0
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 10:36:32 PM by spam4us »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.