Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SPAM EMAIL RECD, SENDER SHOWING MEMBER X10,  (Read 4146 times)

Jumpmaster

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
SPAM EMAIL RECD, SENDER SHOWING MEMBER X10,
« on: January 04, 2009, 01:09:43 AM »

Here is just a "bit" of spam email I received.  The only interest is, sender listed in comments, From member x10, then in introduction states, I got your contact from x10 community board.  Just for your info.

Letter of Relationship and Establishment Aid.
Abidjan Cote d' Ivoire.
Tel : +22507924282
For logistic reason contact me on e.mail:(nkomo22@yahoo.com.sg)
Attention: Respectful,
Greetings and How are you dear Friend.I am Nkomo Kamara from Cote d' Ivoire (Ivory Coast)in West Africa.I got your contact address from X10community community  board  Forums Memberlist. Please  I would like you to kindly permit me to apply through this medium for your cooperation  to secure an opportunity to invest and do joint relationship and establishment with you in your country.
Hence I have  substantial capital which I honourably Inherited from my late father Chief Kamara Emile  Doudou who was the minister of Interior and also have Cocao and Coffee plantation and deals in Gold, Diamond mining and Trading in bouake Northern District of Coted' Ivoire (Ivory Coast) in Western Africa. Before the Epmigo rebels killed him during the political crisis on the  mutiny rebellion upraising that equally lead to the death of former military junta Robert Guei.

I am contacting you because of my need to deal with honest person whom I can lay trust and personal confidence on with hope that he will not let me down,because since the murder of my father,I have been subjected to all sorts of harassment and intimidation with lots of negative reports emanating from the rebellion people due to this political crisis we are facing,which have resulted to war in some part of our country Cote d' Ivoire since this past years.I legitmately inherited

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: SPAM EMAIL RECD, SENDER SHOWING MEMBER X10,
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 06:52:24 AM »

Yes some others; including Expert Advisor's and Administrators have gotten emails also.
I believe other forums may have also been used for the spam. ???

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 08:38:04 AM »

Jumpmaster
Seems only those that have their e-mail visible to forum users are getting hit I suggest you go into your preferences and change it to hidden!
As Brian H stated our forum isn't the only one being targeted!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 08:40:25 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 01:31:49 PM »

WOW, sounds like an opportunity to me! rofl
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 02:36:25 PM »

WOW, sounds like an opportunity to me! rofl
Fortunately I do have my email hidden here so I didn't get this one. I'll be happy to forward you one of my Nigerian opportunities if you feel shorted. Seems a lot of folks over there with my last name keep dying without wills. I never realized how popular American last names are over there. I also had no idea how many lotteries that my email had been entered into till I won a few of them.   ;)

BTW... Has anyone else noticed a higher amount of phishing attempts around the December holidays. Maybe the phishers feel we'll be a more giving mood at this time of year or perhaps that we have a few bills that we think this magical windfall will pay for us.

My spam filter catches all but a small fraction of a fraction of all the spam I get. (Currently 4264 4266* messages dating back for about 2 months are in my spam folder.) For the few phishing attempts that do get through, it's the last time they do using that return to email. I forward the entire email with full headers to their internet provider and get their account suspended. (I know it's only a drop in the bucket but it gives me a little satisfaction anyway.)

*My filter caught 2 more while I was typing this message.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 04:41:39 PM »

I am also hiding my email address. Though nothing from X10 gets to me anymore. Even notifications of replies to my posts and that I have a PM waiting.
Maybe my ISP saw the X10 sales site.  :'

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 05:11:44 PM »

Note: This spam is not the fault of X10 or this forum. This forum clearly gives you a way to hide your email.
For what it's worth... I noticed that at least one X10 employee has hidden his email address also.

It's an unfortunate internet fact that if you post your email on the web it can and often does get found by Spambots that are programed to search the web for emails.
i.e. If you post an email like itsme@myplace.com, it only a mater of time before that email will start getting spam.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 05:15:07 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Jumpmaster

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 07:21:18 PM »

-:)Thanks juiceman, done deal, "I should of had a V8"

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 07:31:32 PM »

It also helps to have a good spam fighter.  I have Comcast as my ISP and they have a secret address given only to Comcast customers, you forward any spam you get to that address, they take it apart and block the originating address from ALL Comcast mail servers.  You NEVER get any spam from that address again.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

YB

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • Coders Are The Only True Evils In This World...
    • X10 WTI
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 04:38:39 PM »

there are admins working on this as well as x10 themselves. We are hardening security at the moment. We are also upgrading the forums themselves, and don't worry, we are going to backup the current forums and reinstate it on the new that way we keep all the current threads...
Michael Youngblood
Web Designer

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 04:50:27 PM »

AlienDev
We are hardening security at the moment. We are also upgrading the forums themselves
I hope this is why I stopped getting notification of thread replys!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.