Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Interesting "Smarthome" Developments  (Read 8365 times)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Interesting "Smarthome" Developments
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 01:02:43 PM »

"Plug n' Power" was Radio Shack's name for X10.  All their modules were made in the same factory in PRC as X10's modules and worked exactly the same.  Radio Shack dropped the entire  "Plug n' Power" line last year or so, as, guess what, the line didn't sell a lot.  

Close, but not quite true. X10 and Radio Shack had separate (independent) factories in China, located across the street from each other. The fact that Radio Shack had their own factory and is now out of the business tells me that more and more noise makers, suckers and phase issues have caused huge customer disillusionment and corresponding decreases in sales.

It is too bad RS did not try and market (high quality, high output) coupler/amps, 15 years ago. Equally too bad that X10 did not upgrade the basic design to be more immune to noise, 10 years ago. I think X10 would be the 800 pound gorilla of home automation and remote control had those things happened.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 02:29:11 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 01:31:50 PM »

It is too bad RS did not try and market (high quality, high output) coupler/amps, 15 years ago. Equally too bad that X10 did not upgrade the basic design to be more immune to noise, 10 years ago. I think X10 would be the 800 pound gorilla of home automation and remote control had those things happened.

Radio shack is not making anything themselves now. I mean they can barely keep their stores open..Their becoming more of a best buy then the old DIY friendly Radio Shack we use to know.

I agree..... if X10 would have done more in the past they would be killing it now. But there are other company's that have learned from X10 mistakes and are taking this stuff to the next level but along with that comes little higher prices.

I really don't see why any store/company would want to sell X10 branded stuff cause lets all be truthful the stuff only works great if the end user helps it out. Filters and phase couplers are a must and X10 don't even sell them and 2-way modules are the way of the future and X10 has stopped making allot of them. I mean this is 2009 why do we still have to hear the clicking of a appliance module coming on lol
People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 02:14:53 PM »

.............The fact that Radio Shack had their own factory and is now out of the business tells me that more and more noise makers, suckers and phase issues have caused huge customer disillusionment ....

knightrider has a tag line:  "Invented in 1975?  Why doesn't everyone have it?"

I think knightrider has captured the feelings of many of us X10ers. I think, if it was just technological problems (noise makers, suckers and phase issues) that kept X10 out of the homes of the masses... my friends, neighbors, and co-workers would have heard about X10... before I told them about it.

I think most of X10 users/purchasers are people that are simply trying to resolve a problem. They want a light, the pool pump, or sprinklers on a timer. Or get tired of tromping down to the basement to turn off that light the kids always leave on. In my case... I wanted a wow factor in my home theater and figured remote conrolled lighting would give me that. I have worked with several new users that felt a need for auto recording cameras around their home and that brought them to X10.

Then... like a moth flying near a flame... we just got sucked in. Home Automation became more than a problem to solve... it became a lifestyle.

I do think..  (Jsnlong is right) there has been a mind-set change about technology. Almost everyone has a computer at home and technology terms are widely used. Sometimes technological terms are even used correctly... and understood also. Some newbies come to the forum having just heard or read of Home Automation... and are ready to buy the store. I would like to think.. this Home Automation lifestyle is on the verge of catching on.

But I have a nagging concern.. that HA will end-up being a mere series of smart-appliances, like coffee pots with timers, TV's with a sleep mode, talking weather stations, and cell phones... that do nearly everything. Why after 34 years.... why don't we all have Automated Homes.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 02:17:10 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Jsnlong

• XKAR
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 02:21:17 PM »

I'm 29 years old (yea I know most here are older then me  rofl ) But I always thought home automation was to much money and it wasn't till about 2 years ago  I found X10 stuff.  I have always been a computer geek and gadget collector but still really never heard of X10 until I met someone I was working with who mentioned it and yes he was a older gentlemen...

So maybe alot of people are like me and just think the you need to be rich to have this much fun and they don't care to look into it
People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

HA Dave

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 02:33:23 PM »

So maybe alot of people... just think the you need to be rich to have this much fun

I think you've got it!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 05:19:54 PM »

It amazes me how many people are domotic-phobic.  These are the same people who use a blue tooth device with their cell phones and use voice dial.  Also the same people who use keypad deadbolts.
The day is coming for us pioneers of home automation, but it's going to require a paradigm shift of the masses.
As far as I'm concerned, it was a lack of promotion that did in Plug n' Power (and X10 for that matter).
When was the last time you heard X10 advertise on TV or radio?
I know x10 pioneered the annoying pop-up and pop-under with the cams, but have they ever promoted the modules and controllers?

On second thought, I doubt the FCC would approve any ads that x10 might want to air.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2009, 06:00:26 PM »

It amazes me how many people are domotic-phobic. 

I guess... I am as proud of the size of my domotic as any man... but not sure how it effects my HA.

On second thought, I doubt the FCC would approve any ads that x10 might want to air.

X10 would have to advertise on "Cable Only."

Jsnlong

• XKAR
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2009, 06:10:53 PM »

X10 would have to advertise on "Cable Only."

You beat me to it Dave..I was going to say I'm sure you would have to pay to see their adds and they might be a supporter of "Girls gone wild" videos

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.