Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New member-old questions?  (Read 7871 times)

phisig74

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
New member-old questions?
« on: November 30, 2008, 10:41:42 AM »

Hello,
A friend has recommended that X10 technology may be the right "fix" for my problems and I have a few general questions before I delve deeper.
A few qualifiers before I ask questions:
We live in a rural setting and travel about 8 months/year in an RV. We have SLOW (21Kbps) internet dial-up access in our area. I have an old Gateway with Windows 2000 installed that could be dedicated to home security. Our rural electricity is renown for having outages periodically, sometimes several times/day but  maybe for only a few seconds each. We do have a landline, but  generally put it on "vacation" while we travel (although I can't imagine we could do this if we would like to monitor while away). We have a Verizon cellphone. I would like to remotely access just a few items of information: window breakage, door entry, motion detection and/or video recording if someone enters, and home temperature (and maybe even regulation).
Questions:
1. Since our rural electric service is sometimes sporadic (it can go months without problems then for a week be on-off several times/day), can the computer (and X10) system be rebooted remotely if needed? This is probably my main concern since otherwise any system would be useless to me.
2. Can one remotely connect to home dial-up internet to check monitoring devices, or  do you have to leave the dial up internet connected at all times?
3. We have a heat-pump as a  heating source. Is there an X10 device that could remotely change the thermostat from heat to AC?
4. Of the above factors, my one main concern would be home temperature  monitoring, since if someone broke out a window I would not want to heat/cool the outdoors for very long:).
Any input would be very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Monte

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: New member-old questions?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 01:51:54 PM »

mmorris welcome to the forums!
just about all PCs can be set in the bios to reboot when power returns even my old 386 had this option!
windows can be told to load just about anything on a start up so that should solve Question 1!
The answer to question 2 is yes a couple of ways,with AHP and a thirdparty software like AlertDialer to do it! or a Phone monitoring center not sure if X10 sells one  but they are out there!(I think SmartHome has them but I'm sure I've seen them at Automatedoutlet
The answer to question 3 is maybe but X10 doesn't sell the thermostat
The answer to question 4 is yes. I believe SmartHome does!
Although you woulds still want a program like Alertdialer or the phone Monitor station to notify you!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 02:01:17 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

phisig74

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 02:02:36 PM »

Thanks, Tuicemen for the fast reply! I'll check out some of the links you have given me and do some more research. Sounds like this might work.
Monte

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 02:06:54 PM »

Hey not a problem you'll find most anything is possible as far as Homeautomation now a days even voice control!
Spend some time reading the forums You may find the Active Home Pro (AHP) will handle most of what you want to do!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 04:36:05 PM »

I used to work for the world's largest conglomeration of radio stations.  When they moved (fired locals) our engineering department to the nearest big city, our transmitters were put on remote monitoring via the internet.
They put up web cams on all the meters and dials.  ;D
Long story short, if you want to monitor the home temperature, put an inexpensive camera on a thermometer.

BTW, I use a custom built thermostat hooked to many powerflash modules to run my furnace.  One channel (H16) runs my oil burner.  I have the same unit set up in my AHP, and can manually start and stop the furnace (not the best way to bypass a thermostat but works in a jam). 
I must also tell you that for this system to work, I have VERY reliable x10 signals getting through my home.  Only once in the last two years did my furnace miss an "ON" command and it got a little chilly in here.

Cheers
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 04:46:07 PM »

Smarthome.com  sells a thermostat for x10. I don't have clue how it works or if its any good. I'm sure it would require some homemade macros to get AHP to control it if it can at all....... Oh and its over $200 but some may find it worth it.

http://www.smarthome.com/3045B/X10-Bi-Directional-HVAC-System-RCS-TXB-16/p.aspx
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 04:54:45 PM by jsnlong1979 »
People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

skywalker1689

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 07:23:41 PM »

You should check my postings for some information I posted.
I have similar situation. The remote location I have is south of sunbelt, so there is no ice problem.
I do have break in problem.

The very first question you need to ask yourself "Do I trust my PC running for 8 months long with lots of power outages and without any human help?" PC is a very powerful tools which can control and monitor almost anything. BUT it breaks easily.
Human makes mistakes. PC and software created by Human are full of mistakes/bugs.

Next question is your budget.

Since you have landline already, Telespy is a not bad cheap solution.
Robodog or home made robodog with improvement is also OK.
MACE WIRELESS HOME SECURITY SYSTEM can dial your cell.
AUTO DIALER SECURITY and SAFETY ALARM can also call your cell.
X10 Pro Telephone Responder with X10 let you manually remote control your remote location ten x10 devises.
RCS X10 Bi-Directional HVAC Thermostat

Receive Current Draw(amps), Temperature and IP address by Telephoning the device.(expensive)
http://www.remotepowerswitch.com/remotepowerswitch.html

Whole house control.
http://www.smarthome.com/4209/Deluxe-Programmable-Wall-Controller-HCCPG-1TW/p.aspx

Adds lots of motion detect flood light plus dusk to down lights or even 24hrs lights is a good start.
It won't deter thieves with patient, but they won't steal those lights.

Another way is Winterizing Your Home and try to remove anything that can be burnt.
Also remove tools that can chop down your house to burn fire for heat.

Hello,
A friend has recommended that X10 technology may be the right "fix" for my problems and I have a few general questions before I delve deeper.
A few qualifiers before I ask questions:
We live in a rural setting and travel about 8 months/year in an RV. We have SLOW (21Kbps) internet dial-up access in our area. I have an old Gateway with Windows 2000 installed that could be dedicated to home security. Our rural electricity is renown for having outages periodically, sometimes several times/day but  maybe for only a few seconds each. We do have a landline, but  generally put it on "vacation" while we travel (although I can't imagine we could do this if we would like to monitor while away). We have a Verizon cellphone. I would like to remotely access just a few items of information: window breakage, door entry, motion detection and/or video recording if someone enters, and home temperature (and maybe even regulation).
Questions:
1. Since our rural electric service is sometimes sporadic (it can go months without problems then for a week be on-off several times/day), can the computer (and X10) system be rebooted remotely if needed? This is probably my main concern since otherwise any system would be useless to me.
2. Can one remotely connect to home dial-up internet to check monitoring devices, or  do you have to leave the dial up internet connected at all times?
3. We have a heat-pump as a  heating source. Is there an X10 device that could remotely change the thermostat from heat to AC?
4. Of the above factors, my one main concern would be home temperature  monitoring, since if someone broke out a window I would not want to heat/cool the outdoors for very long:).
Any input would be very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Monte

phisig74

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 01:04:00 AM »

thanks for everyone's help.
I just found out the reason I've been having trouble downloading AHP software is that it doesn't support Windows98 any longer (even though I checked on the X10 website and it said it did). The old computer  that I was going to dedicate to X10 "stuff" is therefore no longer going to work out. This also makes the X10 hardware I've ordered redundant and I'm sorry to have wasted everyone's help.
Thanks,
Monte

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 02:06:35 PM »

...This also makes the X10 hardware I've ordered redundant and I'm sorry to have wasted everyone's help....
First I think I can speak for everyone and say no one feels their time has been wasted.
Also don't rule out a cheap used XP computer. I picked one up last summer for $75 that has become my dedicated home automation computer.
Last and certainly not the least, if you don't already have an UPS to back up your computer, get one ASAP. I personally recommend everyone should have one for each of their computer(s) and other sensitive electronics but in your case where you can expect power interruptions I would consider it a basic requirement. In the long run, brownouts and power interruptions are as harmful to sensitive electronics as surges.

I practice what I preach. I have 8 UPSs in use all the time.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 01:48:25 AM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

skywalker1689

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 08:13:42 PM »

This is another idea to control X11 devices in remote location with a local PC/notebook through CM11A and phone connection.

Locally
A notebook or pc w/ modem and phone access.
Some kind of PD software or just modem console.

Remote location
A land line(or cell + GE 21518EE1 / Panasonic KX-TH1211B)
old external modem + rs232 cable
X-10 Activehome HC60RX RCA 2-Way Interface CM11A X10

Configure modem to answer phone calls.
Plug phone cord to modem and phone jack(land line or cell blue tooth)
Connect rs232 cable to modem and CM11A(plug in to wall power).

Use your local notebook/pc dial that remote location modem.
Once it is connected, you can type x10 command through CM11A to control remote location X10 devices.

I use to write lots of dos batch files w/ dos exe files to control devices remotely through modems and phone lines with schedule.

Users here may be able to show us how to use ActiveHome software through modems/phone line to control X10 devices in remote locations.

The only way I can think of is to use modem console to establsh connection first, then use ActiveHome.
The first part can be done using batch file and dos exe.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 08:29:31 PM by skywalker1689 »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.