Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 Motion Floodlight  (Read 8910 times)

Khris

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 Motion Floodlight
« on: February 08, 2009, 02:05:37 AM »

Currently, I have two outdoor lights which turn on/off via a single switch.....which is now controlled by an X10 pushbutton wall switch.  I'm wondering if I put the original switch back in, and install an X10 motion floodlamp on one of the outside lights, will it automatically turn the other light on/off when it's activated?

Any help will be appreciated.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: X10 Motion Floodlight
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 07:35:39 AM »

Currently, I have two outdoor lights which turn on/off via a single switch.....which is now controlled by an X10 pushbutton wall switch.  I'm wondering if I put the original switch back in, and install an X10 motion floodlamp on one of the outside lights, will it automatically turn the other light on/off when it's activated?

I think I understand your question.

If you put automated floodlights on the [now X10 automated] switch... you will need to replace that switch with a standard NON-dimming switch.

The X10 floodlights turn on [up to] 4 additional unit codes when they detect motion. They can also control 4 additional codes based on dusk/dawn. BUT... the lights don't control it's own code (althought that can be done remotely). What that means is... unless you use something like AHP to add smarts...  the floodlights don't turn EACH OTHER on and off. However... the Leviton Floodlight <Link does.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Khris

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 12:41:54 PM »

Nope, you've missed it.

Currently, two outdoor lights (one by entrance and one at front of home) both turn on/off with the same switch.  Right now I have an X10 wall switch to operate them.

If I remove the X10 wall switch and put the original back in, then install the X10 Floodlight by my entrance, because it's on the same circuit as the light by the front, will it end up turning that light on/off as well?

Am I understanding the functionality of the X10 Floodlight correctly?  Will it turn itself on/off based upon motion, or will it simply trigger an X10 event?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 01:05:07 PM »

It would depend on how everything is wired, most likely the flood won't control the other non x10 light!
If the wire goes from the switch to the flood then from that to the other light it is possible to wire the flood so when its lights com on the other light does as well.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 02:18:22 PM »

Nope, you've missed it.
...............because it's on the same circuit as the light by the front, will it end up turning that light on/off as well?

In a word No. The motion sensor device (in all floodlights) completes the circuit. The lights themselves are turned on by a secondary circuit built-in to the device. They don't have the current sensing ability like a lamp module does.

Am I understanding the functionality of the X10 Floodlight correctly?  Will it turn itself on/off based upon motion, or will it simply trigger an X10 event?

I have no idea. It does both... if by "turn itself on" you mean light it's lights. The unit (the lights) can also be turned Off or ON remotely (independent of motion) using X10 PLC signals.

You can have one X10 floodlight turn on 2nd X10 floodlight. However... without using AHP or some other macro/program device.... you can't get two (or more) X10 floodlights to turn each other On.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 02:21:26 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 02:31:41 PM »

One other option if the wiring doesn't pan out!
Place a Socketrocket in the other light ( if space allows)  the Flood light could then control it!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 02:38:13 PM »

If you are wanting to turn both lights off and on via motion, keep the switch you have, buy an x10 motion sensor and a transceiver.  The motion sensor sends a radio signal to the transceiver, the transceiver sends a powerline signal to the switch and the light comes on.  This link will point you in the right direction:
http://www.x10.com/automation/ms16a_s.html
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Khris

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 04:09:31 PM »

I've already got a number of ActiveEye Motions but I tried one outside previously and it didn't seem to detect anything.

x10dude

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 03:45:41 AM »

For whatever reason, I don't think the motion detectors work as they should. I have an ActiveEye inside the house controlling a transceiver to turn on/off a lamp when someone goes into the room. At times, I literally have to jump up and down in front of the sensor to get the light to turn on. Other times, when I'm hoping it wouldn't turn on (when i'm in another room, for example), it picks up my motion and the light goes on. Then, I have to literally send it an off command from ActiveHome to turn off. I've tried all sorts of debugging, but can't get it to be 100% reliable.. a bug? a feature? who knows!

X10 Ken

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 08:21:03 PM »

If I remove the X10 wall switch and put the original back in, then install the X10 Floodlight by my entrance, because it's on the same circuit as the light by the front, will it end up turning that light on/off as well?

You can control the second light in one of two ways.  In that you can have the X10 Flood send on/off codes to another module number (unit code), you can control the second light with a socket rocket or putting an X10 module in line between the two fixtures (assuming the flood is on the first one).

Ken
===

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.