Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: improved doorbell system  (Read 2044 times)

itcave

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
improved doorbell system
« on: January 30, 2009, 01:21:33 PM »

I've heard a lot of people say the doorbell system is great, but the buttons don't stand up to the weather...   

Possible solution:
I was thinking about buying a few traditional wired doorbell buttons from my local home repair store.  -Installing those on the outside of my house
-running the wires inside
-then opening the 3 button x10 switch and soldering the wires in to it.
This way I could use the normal weather proof buttons outside, and still have a "mainly" wireless doorbell system.

Any thoughts? 

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: improved doorbell system
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 06:47:08 PM »

I was thinking about buying a few traditional wired doorbell buttons from my local home repair store.  -Installing those on the outside of my house
-running the wires inside -then opening the 3 button x10 switch and soldering the wires in to it.
This way I could use the normal weather proof buttons outside, and still have a "mainly" wireless doorbell system.
Any thoughts? 

I think I'd try the PalmPad remote... it has more "juice" to push through the wires.

The previous owner of my older home switched the doorbell to a wireless set that was on it's last leg when I moved in. I replaced them with a couple new GE wireless sets giving me a couple chimes (and an extra button even after all three doors got a button). Because the new setup allows up to seven different sounds... each door has its own sound.

I am now thinking of hacking one of the chime units.... and adding a Powerflash module (PF284). A simple mod of this sort would have limitations... like it would NOT know which doorbell button was pushed. But maybe mixed with some motion sensors and AHP macros... such a system could be made smart enough to record (or automatically display) a camera view of the correct door.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 06:51:43 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.