Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 module with two relay outputs  (Read 2775 times)

martinito

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 module with two relay outputs
« on: February 12, 2009, 08:45:51 AM »

Hello everybody,

In order to automate my curtains, I'm currently looking for a X10 module that would have two output relays:
The first one would be activated during 1 second when the ON signal is sent to it.
The second would be activated during 1 second when you send the OFF command.

Any idea on how this could be achieved without using two modules (to reduce power consumption)?

Thanks,
Martin

BVD

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
Re: X10 module with two relay outputs
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 09:47:34 AM »

Martin,
Could you be a little more specific about how the curtains operate now and what do you mean about the one second ON and one second OFF? I have some ideas but need more information to make intelligent comments and recommendations.

Bob

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 02:08:44 PM »

...Any idea on how this could be achieved without using two modules (to reduce power consumption)?
Assuming that you wish to automate what would manually be a 2 button system, basically no. Power consumption shouldn't be an issue, however, as only one module is active at a time and then only for a few seconds. The real issue, after working out the interface, is where to put it. For convenience, a pair of macros could be written to say OPEN with an ON and CLOSE with an OFF but you would still need 2 physical modules. Two modules are a major wall wart.

...Could you be a little more specific about how the curtains operate now...
While I believe the operator control functions for most automated curtains is similar, there could be some major circuit differences between manufactures.

I'd partially want to know if there any kind of auto stop when they reach an OPEN or CLOSED position. i.e. If you're manually pushing a button, it's easy to see when to stop. On the other hand, if have X10 signaling an ON for 30 seconds, it might be an issue if the curtain is trying to move after it's reaches the "End of the Line". Here again it is important to know how the curtain works.

Drifting off to dream land...
If I were designing basic, non automated control, specifications for a curtain, I'd recommend a SPDT momentary rocker switch with a center OFF position. I'd have a one second push of a button do a full OPEN or CLOSE respective to rocker switch position pushed. Holding a button for more than 1 second in my ideal world would move curtain till released. It would have an "End of Line" shutoff for both cases. I'd then have the lawyers word something in the disclaimer section cautioning against modifying any hardware. After that, I'd have my engineering department design an automation plug in.
Anyone have a lot of venture capital they need to spend? I expect I'll need to have a few research retreats during the design and testing phases of production for "beta site testing".  ;D

Waking up/Back to the real world...
There have been some very detailed discussions on this subject in the past. You might benefit from reading how others have already approached the issue.

One major caution: Make should your design does not allow any possibility that an OPEN and a CLOSE signal can be sent at the same time.

Drifting off to dream land, again...
What I'd like to see is a retro fit attachment to control blinds. In my dream world, it could sense and adjust the blinds for the position of optimum light entry.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 03:10:48 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

martinito

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 05:29:32 AM »

Hi,

Thank you guys for your answers !
So, in order to close my curtains a contact is necessary between two wires for somewhere between 1sec and 10 secs, same thing to open them.
My question is now the following: if you open the universal module, there are two wires used to open the relay and two wires to close it, so one relay could be connected to each of these pairs (the only problem is that the impulse is shorter than 1second).

I'm ready to solder, but I would really like to avoid having to use two modules and macros in order to keep the system as simple, cheap and small as possible (I have 5 electric tracks).

Thanks again,
Martin

BVD

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 10:47:39 AM »

Martin,
If you are serious about this project give me a call at 740-862-2616 and I will try to help you once I have a little more information.
My name is Bob. I will be available after 5:00 P.M. today and all weekend.

Bob

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.