Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help Mr Wizard! I want to do it Right from the start!  (Read 34543 times)

okmatthew

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Help Mr Wizard! I want to do it Right from the start!
« on: February 17, 2009, 01:22:36 AM »

I'm interested in doing it right the first time without hacking around trying to get something to work. I'd rather pay for some consultation than have to figure it out so if someone here is an expert wanting to get paid a reasonale fee for your help kindly send me an email to x10matthew@yeshuaway1.org (x10matthew at yeshuaway1.org)

I've got ideas but no KNOW HOW! I'm not rich which is why I'm doing this myself.

I've got an older computer with Celeron Processor and WindowsXP pro I am dedicating to this project.
I have the following equipment on hand:

• a 9 camera splitter device
    TV Tuner card to interface 9 camera splitter with computer and then to internet??
    7 b/w camera's with 60' cable
    4 cordless (3 being color wide view).
    10 eagle eye remote sensors
    5 tilt/pan kits
    4 video receivers
    4 VCR commander 2
    1 transceiver module
    5 remote chimes
    2 lamp modules
    10 universal modules

If I could wave my magic wand I'd like to have a security system with the following features.

1. Live Video feed from the 9 camera splitter that continuously stores the last 36 hours on some off site server* to be used as evidence in court.
2. Whole System on batteries = All cameras and computer to run off batteries with battery charger [Solar prefered but can use house current]
3. 2 Very Loud interior and exterior claxon or bell or horn
4. Dedicated Cell Phone used to dial police and a neighbor with a recording that says there is a burglary in progress off at my address.
5. Setup the x10 home software to turn on and off lights etc to a preset schedule to present the dwelling as occupied

*Or Use a Re-Write DVD drive to record as much as a disc holds and then switch to a second disc then back to the 1st as each disc gets full. Or write to a large hard drive and backup to the internet. Obviously I like the continuous feed to the internet but since I'm using a Satelite connection heavy weather blocks the signal from time to time so some backup to the house computer seems appropriate.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 01:30:10 AM by okmatthew »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Help Mr Wizard! I want to do it Right from the start!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 09:59:13 AM »

okmatthew
every thing you would like to do is do able However!
Dialing up the police with an automated message will get you into trouble in most areas!
I don't know of any automation system that is Plug n Play Home construction materials and devices the owners use play a big factor!
You don't state if you have a PC hardware interface your going to need one and what you get will dictate the software you can use!

As for running off batteries this is very easy to do But can get expensive! Your going to need a pure sine wave inverter most of the good ones have built in chargers to draw power from the grid or a generator to charge the batteries!
I run Solar at my Summer place (totally off the grid) so it isn't hard to setup (I did it myself). Security for Remote Places
Chances are your going to need more then one experts help all the info you need Can be found!
If not on this forum a combination of it and others!
Most here are willing to help out without expecting any $ in return!
As a suggestion check out the HomeAutomation chat room (link bottom of my tag) there usually a bunch of X10 users on there nightly more then willing to share their Know how!
 >!

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 03:26:46 PM »

Tuicemen is going to be your expert here for any solar setup.

I agree that using a dial up message to contact 911 isn't a good idea. Particularly if there is ever a false alarm. I recommend a monitored system. I believe I read some discussion here once that the police tend to respond to a report from a monitoring company faster than from a recording or even a neighbor calling them.

Put yourself in their shoes. Which scenario would you respond to quickest?

• A recorded message repeating "A burglary is in progress at 123 Main Street."
  • A trained person from a monitoring company saying "This is ABC Alarm Monitoring Service. An unauthorized entry was detected at 123 Main Street. Entry was made at the master bedroom window at 1:25am. We reached the resident and they are inside the house now."

Ok. I admit I may of exaggerated the examples a bit. e.g. I expect you would have a contact number with your message also. I think I made my point however.
Also some/many DIY alarms, such as the X10 one, may not give you detailed reporting features such as point of entry, separate fire alert, low battery alert from the monitoring station, and last and I hope I never need silent alarm notification in a distress situation. e.g. Most professionally installed systems give you a code that you can enter to trigger a monitored silent alarm.

Back to the basics...
Remember that while an alarm sign may deter entry, an alarm does not keep anyone from breaking in. It only will let you know that someone has attempted entry and hopefully encourage them to leave. Proper lighting and other security arrangements should be used to discourage illegal entry.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 03:38:32 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

okmatthew

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 07:41:24 AM »

All Great Advice! Tuicemen where are you?

okmatthew

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 07:52:41 AM »

Ah Tuicemen! Someone said you'd be one to chat with! I'm looking for a way to do this good and as cheap as possible. I figure motion sensors Inside to set off the Alarms that call for assistance. Having a monitor doesn't seem to be a problem. What about the feed directly to the WWW to store the last 36 hours? Or is that a pipe dream?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 08:54:13 AM »

okmatthew
I'm located in South Central Ontario Canada!
Usually you can find me In the Home Automation Chat room (Link in my tag line) in the morning hours!
Sometimes you can catch me there in the evening!
Feeding to the internet isn't a problem but I wouldn't rely on it!
Keep the video on site and only upload once a sensor is tripped! Anyone that breaks into a home that isn't theirs seldom stays longer then the time it would take the police to arrive!
Any good thief know the responce times!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 08:55:55 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

okmatthew

Help Mr Wizard! Right from the start!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 03:59:38 PM »

okmatthew
I'm located in South Central Ontario Canada!

I've been wanting to make a trip up there. Guess I should wait till August eh?
Usually you can find me In the Home Automation Chat room (Link in my tag line) in the morning hours!
Sometimes you can catch me there in the evening!

Can You Please explain more better where that link is found?
Feeding to the internet isn't a problem but I wouldn't rely on it!
Keep the video on site and only upload once a sensor is tripped!

I totally agree I just didn't want to have someone break in and take the computer with the video evidence on it. I will depend mostly on the Noise of the alarms. I have neighbors that would be interested enough to check out my alarm but if the alarm goes off a few times they may get tired of checking. (Crying Wolf Fairy Tale comes to mind) Unfortunately my garage is up against a hidden area and my neighbor (who has worked 1 day in 5 years) can easily step off his roof onto mine. He's not too bright but if I'm gone on an extended trip I'd like to be able to sleep knowing that if he or one of his friends decides to break in there will be such a raucous raised even if there is an ice storm that puts everyone in the dark that my alarm system will work well.

I have tools, computer, guns, TV etc... and everyone around here knows. Here in this area there are a lot of criminal types and I don't want someone to study my system enough to know how to get past it.

I rather have a continuous video stream but it might be too much expense etc... I guess Uploading to the internet just when the alarm goes off would be good enough as long as I have a secured room inside of the house with the computer and video back ups.

I've decided to put 2 - 18' steel poles in the yard. (front and back yards respectively) I've got one Solar motion light and 3 cabled camera's for each pole. My control room is more than 60' away. Is there a way to extend the cable length? (I only have 2 wireless cameras)

How do I get the motion detectors to work with the camera's and recording devices? Also what about sending the video to a website? I have a website I could use unless I really need to hire a host specifically? How does that work?

Edited by: Tuicemen to fix quote format
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 04:08:18 PM by Tuicemen »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 04:03:22 PM »

HomeAutomation Chat Rooms<link
there Now!
August is best if you like it hot!
Many have used Cat 5 cable to extend Camera wire to over 100 feet!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 04:16:22 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

okmatthew

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 04:23:01 PM »

HomeAutomation Chat Rooms<link
there Now!
August is best if you like it hot!
Can it be as Hot there in August as it is in Oklahoma?

Many have used Cat 5 cable to extend Camera wire to over 100 feet! CAT 5... OUCH got a good place to buy at a reasonable price???

I've tried twice to install the chat but windowsXP keeps killing it (even after I tell it to go ahead!?) beacuse it doesn't recognize the publisher. How do I get around that?

okmatthew

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 04:30:49 PM »

OK I changed my settings!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 04:33:06 PM »

It needs to be able to install java
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

okmatthew

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 04:38:22 PM »

OK I'm there now. See ya later got to slip away for a while.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.