Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

What about a universal module with two small relays in it (ON&OFF)?

YES ! That would be great for my hacks !
- 3 (100%)
NO ! I don't like messing with my appliances
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: A universal module with two relays  (Read 18578 times)

martinito

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
A universal module with two relays
« on: February 17, 2009, 08:23:57 AM »

Hi,

I would like a universal module with two small relays in it:
  • One momentary that closes during a selectable amount of time when the ON signal is sent
  • One momentary that closes during a selectable amount of time when the OFF signl is sent

Such modules could be used to interface to NON-X10 devices with impulse buttons instead of swiches (such as A/C, curtain tracks, ...).

The opposite would be nice as well: a powerflash modules that sends ON when a contact is closed and OFF when another is.

What do you guys think?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: A universal module with two relays
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 03:10:15 PM »

martinito

Smarthome.com just announced such a module. Actually it combines the functions of both a X10 Universal module and a X10 Powerflash module. It is an one of their Insteon product line, but Insteon will respond to X10 commands.

http://www.smarthome.com/2450/I-O-Linc-INSTEON-Low-Voltage-Contact-Closure-Interface-1-In-1-Out-/p.aspx
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 09:20:17 PM »

...Smarthome.com just announced such a module....
As cool as that module looks, it still won't do exactly what he wants to do.
The Smarthome unit controls a SPDT relay. i.e. Even if what he's trying to control, can share a common lead, one will always be ON.

Based on the above and his other posts, what he's dreaming for is a two independent SPST momentary switches. One that would trigger with an ON signal and the other which would trigger with an OFF signal for a single HC/UC. e.g. If the unit were set to B2, then B2 ON would trigger one one signal and B2 OFF would trigger the other signal.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 09:29:19 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 09:47:12 PM »

Based on the above and his other posts, what he's dreaming for is a two independent SPST momentary switches. One that would trigger with an ON signal and the other which would trigger with an OFF signal for a single HC/UC. e.g. If the unit were set to B2, then B2 ON would trigger one one signal and B2 OFF would trigger the other signal.
Yeah, I see that now. I thought of using two of the Smarthome modules, but that still won't solve the "one closure for ON, and different closure for OFF" requirements. Can't get there from here. Need AHP and CM15A to provide the logic switch and time delay.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 06:44:49 AM »

Simplehomenet if memory serves me has a 4 and 8 relay output module. Insteon and I believe can have X10 addresses also. Though now we are in the >$100 price range.  ::)

martinito

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 06:58:37 AM »

Simplehomenet if memory serves me has a 4 and 8 relay output module. Insteon and I believe can have X10 addresses also. Though now we are in the >$100 price range.  ::)

Sounds really good but expensive and you still need to write macros to have the functionality.
I'm surprised noone else ever needed that one.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 12:12:48 PM »

Sounds really good but expensive and you still need to write macros to have the functionality.
I'm surprised noone else ever needed that one.

They have for drapery control, but X10 doesn't seem interested, they obviously think high volume. I always thought a module specifically for ceiling fan control would interest them. But not enough sales volume to turn the wheels, I guess....sigh.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 04:06:42 PM »

There are some how to ideas on coccoontech. Like for drapery controls and other things. Not sure if any would help your problem.
http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showforum=22

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.