Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Increase Range on Wireless Camera System.  (Read 20261 times)

mistacandy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Increase Range on Wireless Camera System.
« on: February 18, 2009, 03:36:17 PM »

I have four cameras spread out throughout my home and one receiver. The picture is fuzzy on two out of four of my cameras.  I was wondering if there is a way to attach another antenna to my cameras. Also, i will not buy another product from x-10 (that means a video sender/extender).

I am satisfied with the two cameras closer to the receiver, but there are two that pass through walls that are not so great. If i got all of them to work X10 would be defiantly worth it. I just installed the motion sensors today and they worked perfectly. I would like to say that X10 should consider an antenna that is not as directional like the current ones. Personally I don't care how large the antenna is, but if it works.

Also, I have a cordless phone, a wireless router, and many of my neighbors have them too. (we can receive signals from neighbors routers) It is safe to say that it is now a wireless world...

Thank you in advanced.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 09:41:06 PM by mistacandy »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Increase Range on Wireless Camera System.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 04:09:21 PM »

Have you checked for interfering things like 2.4 GHz cordless phones and network adapters?
Are the cameras in different directions from the receivers antenna?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 04:14:37 PM »

.... when something sounds too good to be true, it is...  Also, i will not buy another product from x-10 (that means a video sender/extender).

It makes it tough to be helpful when a user registers and then posts one gripe...

There are hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) of satisfied X10 camera customers out here.. that IS TRUE

Setting up a wireless multi-camera system does require a little expertise. Maybe your layout isn't configured well... to fully exploit the technology you selected. Here at the forum we are volunteers.. and users... just like yourself. A polite request for help can go a long way around here. But I don't have a clue as what I can do to help you.... with your complaint.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 06:43:04 AM »

More data on your setup would be a plus in getting you answers.

mistacandy

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 09:40:14 PM »

View modified post on top of page...

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 10:32:01 PM »

mistacandy sorry to see you seem to have a vision problem. You should change your settings in control panel (look at ease of access center).

But I am glad to see your happy with your setup now.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 10:33:44 PM »

Dave,
I think the OP needs a link to some of your antenna mods  ;)
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 10:38:52 PM »

I think the OP needs a link to some of your antenna mods 

I think the OP just wanted to rant.... and has a vision problem and couldn't see that we are also users... that just wanted to help.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 11:00:09 PM »

I have four cameras spread out throughout my home and one receiver. The picture is fuzzy on two out of four of my cameras.  I was wondering if there is a way to attach another antenna to my cameras. Also, i will not buy another product from x-10 (that means a video sender/extender).

I am satisfied with the two cameras closer to the receiver, but there are two that pass through walls that are not so great. If i got all of them to work X10 would be defiantly worth it. I just installed the motion sensors today and they worked perfectly. I would like to say that X10 should consider an antenna that is not as directional like the current ones. Personally I don't care how large the antenna is, but if it works.

Also, I have a cordless phone, a wireless router, and many of my neighbors have them too. (we can receive signals from neighbors routers) It is safe to say that it is now a wireless world...

Thank you in advanced.

BTW, you NEED to turn your router's firewall NOW any your neighbors need to as well.  I have a wireless router and the firewall is turned on. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 04:31:16 PM by Dan Lawrence »
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 06:25:22 AM »

It is safe to say that part of the problem could be 2.4 GHz interference from other devices or an antenna issue. With some of the cameras on the back side of the original directional antenna on the receivers.
I don't have the links but do remember seeing mods for the cameras antennas.

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 08:59:32 AM »

the fuzzy part sounds like it may be out of focus, have you tried adjusting the focus ring on the camera's?  Also you may try to put the antenna on the receiver flat.  Some users have found that be putting the antenna flat it receives alot better with multi-cams.

I've seen a mod done and actually have modded a couple of my cameras successfully with an omni antenna.  it was on a remote control airplane site, where they modded the xcam to fly on top of the airplane.  hope this helps ;) found the link!  check this out!  >!

http://www.rc-cam.com/rc-cam4b.htm#rc-cam4_top
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 09:12:15 AM by hawk1 »
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 01:29:48 PM »

hawk1; Thanks for the link to the mod.  :)%

hawk1

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 01:31:08 PM »

Quite welcome!  Glad I could help!  >!

mbmisa

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 12:17:44 AM »

Quite welcome!  Glad I could help!  >!

Fantastic! If the original Mickey Mouse ear of the X10 covers 100 feet, how much further can I push the camera with a coax antena?

hawk1

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 09:36:06 AM »

I really don't know.  All of my cameras are well within a 100'.  I do know that I get way better reception with the ones I did mod.  The problem is, that one that I modded I kinda.... well.... burned up with a weed burner!   rofl

If you do a search on the forum for antenna mod you should be able to find some more information.  I now have a different receiver with an omni directional antenna on it and it works great.  I believe that the ear antenna on the cameras are not the problem unless you have it on a ninja base.

I believe if the receiver had the omni antenna then they would work a lot better.  There also some mods on this forum for that.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.