Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Outside horn  (Read 28277 times)

originalevil

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
  • We could do some watercolors together. You and I.
Re: Outside horn
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2009, 10:15:02 AM »

Have you considered mounting it in an air duct to your furnace and / or A/C system?  Blasts throughout the house, but harder than heck to find!  ;)

You, sir, are a devious man. My hat is off to you!

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2009, 05:47:18 PM »

Is that the one that was made up in Canada ?

Yep that's the one do you have one? works pretty well although we had some improvements in mind.

Tom j.

I remember the unit (sonic horn ?), but I never owned one.  I'm interested in any improvements that you might make.  If I could use my Elk siren with some thing like that it would be helpful. 

I'll send you a PM concerning this, I appreciate your interest!

Tom j.

paizano1

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2009, 11:05:05 PM »

i've made an external siren that works ok, before reading please be aware that the design is just thrown together and could be much more appealing to the eye if i was an engineer.  I used mostly store bought parts that i destroyed to build it, but of course i'm not an engineer so i just used stuff readily available.  I hope people will use this idea and tweak as needed and repost to help make the finished product look more appealling.  What i did was break apart a dusk to dawn sensor from homedepot ( the kind with three wires that can be put on pretty much any light). after breaking it apart and removeing the epoxy to expose the relay i remove it and install a 12v dpdt relay just attaching the coil wires to the board.  the siren is 12v, and 9-12v transformer ( mine salvage from cordless phone i think)  wire transformer to siren cutting one of the leads and putting the cut ends on the relay in the normal closed position.  applying power to transformer at this point will sound the siren.  next is to enclose the light sensor in a (project box, gang box,ect..) something with lid, to create darkness.  now power up the sensor board which is 120vac, and plug in the transformer.  when dark is sensed the relay energizes and shuts off the siren.  now a lamp module with a bulb attached, and a hole in the project box for light to pass.  stick light sorce next to hole.  When security trips, the flashing lamp causes the sensor to release the relay and sound the siren.  Also the sensor board has a capacitor on it that just so happens causes a slight delay, so when the light is flashing, the siren stays on steady.  also when alarm is disarmed the lights stay on, as does the siren.

x10dude

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2009, 03:36:57 PM »

Paizano,

your siren sounds quite interesting. Do you have pictures, parts number/models, and the like? I'd be interested in trying it out. I now have an outside horn (12v, 130db, dual tone) that I haven't installed. I was thinking on getting one of those "power supply/charger" boards used in alarm systems for the 12v batteries and attach the horn to it along with battery and a module to turn it on/off from w/in AHP.

paizano1

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2009, 12:11:22 AM »

first of all no laughing at the way this is assembled, it does work without fail.

these 2 images are of the light sensor that it sold at homedepot and lowes, dusk to dawn sensor (universal)

[/img]

paizano1

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2009, 12:22:23 AM »

i'm going to have to post a couple times, i don't know how to post pics like everybody else.The next pics are the radioshack project box with the lid on. about a 4x7 box, sorry didn't have a package for part#.  The second pic is the box open to see whats inside.

Upper left corner of box is the light sensor board that was removed from the casing in the previous post pics, it has had the relay removed and replaced with a 12volt spdt relay from goldmine electronics( will get part#) future post.  bottom left corner is a 12volt transformer any will do, this was from a cordless phone i think. this is what powers the siren.  I have bent the legs of the plug so they lay flat and lid will close.  bottom right is a candellabra light socket ( home depot). wiring diagram will follow if anyone interested. If everybody just can't get past the laughing there will be no sense in drawing diagram.  next post will have last 2 pics that show the wires for power and siren. take in to account that all wires can be lengthened or shortened to help with location of install.

paizano1

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2009, 12:38:53 AM »

last post for pict. this pic shows the 2 plugs and siren attached, 1 plug is for light and that goes to lamp module set to code other than #1, reason is when you arm the console the light flashes or in delay stays on for 1minute, which will cause the siren to sound that amount of time. the other plug is what powers the sensor and the siren, this just goes into standard outlet.  When you disarm the system, you will have to turn off the module via remote to stop the siren.
Please feel free to post any mods or criticism, so that my next attempt will be a much cleaner fit and finish.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.