Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Issues with AHP? PS561? CM15A or my configuration?  (Read 3350 times)

x10dude

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
Issues with AHP? PS561? CM15A or my configuration?
« on: February 20, 2009, 04:17:43 AM »

When I first installed my alarm, I added 16 window/door sensors, a security lamp using LM465 (housecode M), a few wall switches (for bedrooms), a couple of floodlights (housecode M), a couple of remotes (housecode M), a couple of cameras, and a couple of maxi-pads (also M). Yes, I did go all out. I just got into X10 last month and it's been really taking up a lot of my time. I'm still crossing my fingers hoping it will get better after spending over $1000 dollars!

Once I installed AHP, I scanned all my sensors into it. When I select a "Find other computers" from the Tools menu, it tells me that all my window/door sensors are in housecode A & B. According to this, the PS561 is A1, then the sensors follow through B2. All my other stuff is correctly put in M.

Then, I added two transceivers to control two "night security lights", which are controlled by timers. No matter what I try, I can't add timers to my M code lights. That's the reason why I now have the transceivers on housecodes O & P respectively.

my questions are as follows:

* I was under the impression that the window/door sensors didn't take up a housecode/unit number. I seem to be wrong about this assumption - based on AHP. What would have happened had I selected housecode A for all my other devices? Do they all default to A automatically? Is there point in trying to move them to another housecode?

* which is my actual "master" housecode? does it matter with AHP?

* why can't I use macros on my main lights? I can manually control them on/off w/out a problem.

* with the same configuration, I added 5 powerhorns (housecode M). However, no matter what I try, I can only get 3 to work at once. What would be causing this limitation? I was under the impression that I could add as many PH as I wanted. I have swapped the PHs (different unit #, same unit #, same outlet, etc.) to no avail. 3 seems to be the max.

I thought this was all related to "noise", so I got a bunch of noise filters. I've filtered even my alarm radio. I even got a coupler/repeater and those 15amp appliance filters (for my fridge, large TV, etc.)

Am I missing something here? In retrospect, I should have just probably gone with something more expensive, but know that it would work. I guess I got what I paid for - albeit after spending more than $1k.

Thanks,

Frank

BVD

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
Re: Issues with AHP? PS561? CM15A or my configuration?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 10:37:49 AM »

Frank,
The following expert is from the first few pages of the PS561 Instruction Manual. The reason your sensors is showing up in House code A is probably because that is what the House Code Switch is set to on the PS561.
And YES MOST X10 devices default to A1.

There is much more to this story but I have to leave for work shortly. I will get back with you after I get off at 4:30P.M. Mean while loose the attitude that you did the wrong thing in purchasing this system. This system will do all you want it to and more. Please have an open mind when we continue our discussion.
BTW The help is FREE! LOL

Till Later,
Bob

The X10 Supervised Security System is built around a Security Console with an
automatic dialer that calls neighbors or friends in the event of a break in. Battery powered
RF Door/Window Sensors and Motion Sensors are used to trigger the alarm, with RF
Handheld and Keychain Remote controls for arming and disarming. All sensors and
remotes incorporate random digital security coding.
The system may be configured with any combination of the following items:
• Up to 8* Keychain Remotes with arm/disarm/panic and security light functions.
• Up to 8* Handheld Security Remote with arm/disarm and panic functions, and buttons
to control the security light and up to four additional X10 automation modules to
operate lights and appliances around the home.
• Up to 16* magnetic switch operated wireless Door/Window Sensors.
• Up to 16* wireless PIR Motion Sensors.
• Remote PowerHorn™ sirens.
• Additional X10 automation modules such as plug-in lamp and appliance modules and
wired-in replacement wall switches.
This manual describes the installation process for the security elements of the system,
and does not cover the additional X10 automation modules which are supplied with their
own installation instructions.
*Note: Remotes may be added in any combination up to a total of 8. Door/Window
Sensors and Motion Sensors may be added in any combination up to a total of 16.

x10dude

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 02:58:29 PM »

Thanks Bob!

I'll look forward to reading more of your answers. I do understand most everyone here is volunteering his time to help others. I certainly appreciate that. You guys rock! I hope to be able to pay back as I get more into this. I must confess that I was very optimistic when I started, thus my initial investment, but can't help feeling the way I do after understanding the limitations.

I did read the installation manual in its entirety and,  hopefully, I did understand it, but it's possible that I might have missed something. For example, when I first placed my order, I thought I could have 16 window/door sensors plus up to 16 PIRs. Now, I'm stuck with some windows that don't have sensors (yes, I do have more than 16), which I was planning on protecting with PIRs, but can't because I'm maxed out.

As for the housecode on the PS561, I've had it set to M since the beginning. I've even reset the system and rescanned everything - 3 times! Whether it's A or M for the sensors, it doesn't matter to me. I was just curious if I had done something wrong. It's more the other stuff that I'm hoping to get taken care of.

Thanks again!

Frank
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 03:52:56 PM by x10dude »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 03:31:22 PM »

x10dude
AHP handles security devices differently then the others reading threads in the section OnAlert section will reveal a lot of info for you.
Including How to specify which house code AHP uses for the devices!
Actually reading all the sticky posts in each of the AHP Sub sections will teach you plenty! ;)
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

x10dude

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 03:51:58 PM »

thanks Tuicemen. That's what I've been trying to do for a few days now. At the same time, I'm trying to help others where I believe I can with the little I know so far.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 03:53:35 PM by x10dude »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 03:57:29 PM »

If you free in the evenings there usually is a gang of users on the HomeAutomation Chat Room that will be more then willing to walk you threw any issues you have!
Some like myself are even willing to pull their own hair out trying to help!  rofl
Actually you don't have to wait until the evening to go there it is just busier then!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

BVD

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 06:28:55 PM »

Frank,
This is Bob. My email address is w8rvd@columbus.rr.com. My home phone is 740-862-2616. If you could give me a call or send me an Email with your phone number and I will give you a call as I can call with no long distance charges. I would like to discuss several things and I hate typing. I will be more than glad to help you with all your problems.

Thanks,
Bob Van Dyke

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.