Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hide that VCR Commander!  (Read 39834 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Hide that VCR Commander!
« on: February 20, 2009, 03:13:31 PM »

Many of us have these devices (if you don't already your going to want one) but those wired emitters are an eye sore and a real WAF point dropper! :'(
Working on a new program and chatting with Dave_x10_L in the HomeAutomation Chat Room we thought of a clever way!
X10 is almost giving the Powermids (componetCloaks)away at the moment! Stick the emitter to the powermid sender and hide the VCRCommander and Powermid sender!
Place the powermid receiver in the room your VCR or other entrainment devices are you wish to control (yes it is capable of controlling other IR devices).
Playing with it today and experimenting with placement of the emitter I was able to control my TV in the livingroom from upstairs in my office Via the PC!
The Powermid is almost as small as the VCR Commander but doesn't have to be stuck to the device!
My WAF just climbed a couple of notches!  rofl

Oh Placement for the emitter is center front of the Powermid slightly below the red  light that gets activated on a intercepted IR signal!
Yes the Program I was working on controls the VCR Commander and will do more then just turn my TV on & off. And yes I will release the program once it's done! (maybe as a Plug-in for PC Companion)
 >!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 08:59:59 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

x10dude

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
Re: Hide that VCR Commander!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 04:02:26 PM »

Hey Tuicemen,

Along with everything else I got, I somehow (part of a bundle) got a VCR commander II and a set of powermids. I haven't even opened the boxes because I'm dealing with all my other X10 issues. Actually, it's because I don't even own a VCR (haven't had one for almost 10 years.) Can this device be used with a Sony DVR? or a blue-ray player? or something else?

I have LOLA set up now on one my laptops, which sits next to my entertainment rack. Honestly, it's one of the poorest written pieces of software I've seen. If your PC companion integrates all that, I think I'll definitely be looking into it after I'm done debugging my main X10 stuff.

Best,

Frank

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 04:14:41 PM »

With a VCR commander you can control many different devices I've been able to control my TV, VCR, DVD player and sometimes my stereo IR receiver in it is flaky!
The VCR Commander has the same innards as the IR Commander But you need software to access the features!
Not every device is compatible with the VCR/IR Commanders but there are 900 codes for each device so chances are good!
Currently PC Companion will do Most of what LOLA will do Plus much, much more! ::) :'
When this next project is done and added to PC Companion I hope it will become the next Must have piece of software, right up there with BVC! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 07:14:14 PM »

I have one of those powermid suckers. It's not in play however.
I need to get it out so the tv can be on a macro with the rest of the living room.  -:)

Thanks for the tip.
Now. What is the WSF?

Wife somthin' I expect. (And bless their hearts for putting up with us.)
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 09:10:27 PM »

Sorry bitman ,
typO on my part(edited to fix ) should have Been WAF  Wife Acceptance Factor!
I spend most of the day trying codes for my VRC thinking I had this configured before! Once I realized it was now behide a glass door I was able to configure the VCR! I now have my TV,VCR and DVD player configured again in the single VCR Commander.
Once I have all the bugs worked out of this program (plug-in) these VCR Commander will shine  and no need to spend extra for a USB-UIRT!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 01:00:44 PM »

Man these PowerMids are strong devices!
I had tested one at my cottage and was able to control devices from the dock over 100 feet away!
But that was with simple log constructed building! I figured if I could get half that here in the city I'd be doing well!
I haven't tested the maximum range here yet for this but I'm very impressed with the receiver (RF to IR) sender.
The two PowerMids are 30 feet apart and transmite through many walls and a floor the and receivers antenna is down(not extended)!
I have it on top of the entertainment center, on top of my center channel speaker it  pointed away from my devices so the IR signal must bounce of the far wall and return to the devices to turn them on!

Paring these with the VCR Commander is the coolest thing I've done with X10 in ages!
I've just created a plug-in for PC Companion which will unlock many hidden features of the VCR Commander!
With a single emitter fastened to the PowerMid transmiter I can now  turn on my TV, change the channel to 93 (the input channel), turn on the VCR, and start recording from a single X10 command!
Four commands strung together is the most I've tested thus far but it is more then enough for me at the moment!
There are 1000 device codes (000-999) so finding one that works with your device may take a while. I lucked out with my TV and VCR but my Panasonic DVD player took a little longer!
I never did attempt my Surround Sound receiver as the IR receiver in it is hit an miss even with its own remote! :'(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 01:42:12 PM »

You have a dock!
Cool.

8)
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 03:17:56 PM »

........ I have it on top of the entertainment center, on top of my center channel speaker it  pointed away from my devices so the IR signal must bounce of the far wall and return to the devices to turn them on!

In my HT I have mine on the stand with the equipment and bounce the signal off the sofa. Upstairs I have the unit behind the TV. I've found it's a good idea to discuss the placement with whoever does the dusting.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 12:58:43 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 03:23:03 PM »

I've found it's a good idea to discuss the placement with whoever does the dusting.
rofl Very good point!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

misterbeefy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 06:44:26 PM »

Many of us have these devices (if you don't already your going to want one) but those wired emitters are an eye sore and a real WAF point dropper! :'(
Working on a new program and chatting with Dave_x10_L in the HomeAutomation Chat Room we thought of a clever way!
X10 is almost giving the Powermids (componetCloaks)away at the moment! Stick the emitter to the powermid sender and hide the VCRCommander and Powermid sender!
Place the powermid receiver in the room your VCR or other entrainment devices are you wish to control (yes it is capable of controlling other IR devices).
Playing with it today and experimenting with placement of the emitter I was able to control my TV in the livingroom from upstairs in my office Via the PC!
The Powermid is almost as small as the VCR Commander but doesn't have to be stuck to the device!
My WAF just climbed a couple of notches!  rofl

Oh Placement for the emitter is center front of the Powermid slightly below the red  light that gets activated on a intercepted IR signal!
Yes the Program I was working on controls the VCR Commander and will do more then just turn my TV on & off. And yes I will release the program once it's done! (maybe as a Plug-in for PC Companion)
 >!

Ok, I have one of the VCR Commanders that x10 sent me with a lola remote and one of the little black RF transmitters when i bought my security cameras.  I ordered the Powermid today. I have downloaded and installed PC Companion. What else do I need, (if anything) and what do I need to do to be able to get my PC to send IR signals to my A/V equipment in the den? I would like to tie all this in with BVC as well!

Thanks for the awesome post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 06:18:36 PM »

You'll need full version of PCC, plus the plug-in pack to control multiple devices with PC Companion.
How ever because of the way the VCR Commander handles device codes some devices may not be controllable but I'm working on a code scan which may or may not help! ::) :'
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

misterbeefy

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 10:53:53 PM »

You'll need full version of PCC, plus the plug-in pack to control multiple devices with PC Companion.
How ever because of the way the VCR Commander handles device codes some devices may not be controllable but I'm working on a code scan which may or may not help! ::) :'

THanks! I'll be making the "donation" to get the full version asap! I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions then! Do you have  a forum for PCC?

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 11:27:39 AM »

Nope No Forum for PCC.PCC Forum
How ever most users found on the Home Automation Chat (link in tag) are well experienced with PCC. ;)
 >!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 12:46:44 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

misterbeefy

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 08:17:39 PM »

Nope No Forum for PCC.
How ever most users found on the Home Automation Chat (link in tag) are well experienced with PCC. ;)
 >!
Thanks Tuicemen. I've been in there several times but never have found anyone else in the rooms. What time/days is someone usually present?

Thanks!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 10:36:45 PM »

9-11 Eastern time for me.  I'm there right now, and so are you, but misterbeefy isn't responding.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.