Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Occupancy Sensing/Knowledge  (Read 87877 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Occupancy Sensing/Knowledge
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2009, 08:54:02 PM »

Did you ever get the bugs worked out of your surveillance robot? 

The robot worked out OK. The solar cells kept it charged for weeks at a time. I was able to observe the yard much better than with fixed cameras. I even modified and installed a long range Ninja. However no deer would venture into the yard when R.E.D. was on duty.. so he never got to chase a deer.

I disassembled R.E.D. for parts... but haven't started his replacement yet.

But what I am working now... is maybe a bit more interesting. My Home Automation Computer can now determend who is or isn't at home.... and react appropriately.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 09:36:09 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Don N

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2009, 04:07:12 PM »

Here's is another approach.  I've kind of taken a few comments from this thread (thanks raster69273 and jadams77) and the Toggle Macro thread (thanks wayneaking) to come up with this idea.

There are lots of good ideas and thoughts in this thread.  But none of the ideas really fit or excited me.  I wanted a "solution" utilizing parts that I already had; thus not having to purchase or hack any parts.  So I've been just kind of consciously thinking about it now and then.

Today I read a thread "Toggle Macro" that starting me thinking again about Occupancy Sensing.  Could I use the Macro idea that wayneaking described in this thread and put it to use in determining occupancy.  It seemed so simple.

jadams77 suggested putting a motion sensor on the car to activate Macros for occupancy sensing.  Taking that idea a little further, I thought why not have the motion sensor lay on the garage floor.  When the vehicle left it would activate a Macro and when the vehicle returned it would activate a Marco.  Just like the two Macros that wayneaking described in his "Toggle Macro" thread.  Obviously, the functions inside the Macros would be changed to fit your particular method for dealing with occupancy/non-occupancy.

This is all in theory, but it seems like it would work for detecting occupancy through vehicle status.  And it's simple and doesn't require much hardware.  Of course it wouldn't work if multiple occupants left in the same car or if occupants didn't have a car.  Still working on that part!!!!!

HA Dave

« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2009, 04:28:41 PM »

....I've kind of taken a few comments from this thread (thanks raster69273 and jadams77) and the Toggle Macro thread (thanks wayneaking) to come up with this idea.

I am looking forward to reading your post.. to see how this works out. It sounds promising to me!

That raster69273 sure gets around... he's the one that gave me the photosensor tip.

If you have a key-holder or key-box and one spare DS10A, or PowerFlash, maybe even a hacked PalmPad or "eye" sensor (I know that violates the "no hack rule"). You might be able fudge around with the odds of who would be home.

I was been thinking about "room tracking" (thanks Bill). I think the computer could accurately guess my whereabouts by which TV is on. I wonder if something like that could be helpful?

Don N

« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2009, 05:16:06 PM »

I do have away of detecting if both my wife and I (there are only the two of us left in the household) leave in the same vehicle.  I activate a "No One Home" Macro via a wireless wall switch as we exit into the garage.  This turns on exterior cameras and does other stuff when we leave.  And of course, when we return I turn off the "No One Home" Macro via the wireless wall switch.  Typically I don't activate this Macro when only one of us leaves the house.

So both of us leaving in one car is covered for us.  However, Occupancy Sensing using my method (motion sensing and the Toggle Macro) will require more ingenuity when there are household occupants without cars.

As a test, I'll work on putting a motion sensor down underneath my car and setting up the Macros for Occupancy Sensing.  More info to follow.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 05:18:38 PM by Don N »

HA Dave

« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2009, 05:48:20 PM »

I do have away of detecting if both my wife and I (there are only the two of us left in the household) leave in the same vehicle.  I activate a "No One Home" Macro via a wireless wall switch as we exit into the garage. 

I (a similar thread "I read about it here... or a link from here") had read an piece on the Internet  "6 ways of monitoring who is at home". Where Dan [electron] calls the Status Button, Method #3. Method #6, the Security System might be useful as well.

Wait a minute there was a motion sensor car detector post/link in there too.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 06:08:09 PM by Dave_x10_L »

Don N

« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2009, 06:25:30 PM »

...  "6 ways of monitoring who is at home". Where Dan [electron] calls the Status Button, Method #3. Method #6, the Security System might be useful as well.

Wow, I like Method #3.  All you would have to do is assign each botton to each family member.  When you leave just push your button.  If more than three family members, just install another wireless switch.  Boy, this is the simplest way yet.

HA Dave

« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2009, 08:55:53 PM »

... I activate a "No One Home" Macro via a wireless wall switch as we exit ..This turns on exterior cameras and does other stuff when we leave. 

That is PERFECT example of what a smart home should do for you. I am thinking of monitoring a gate (that I normally don't monitor) when the house detects I am away. If the gate opened a verbal warning would be issued and video recorded and a snapshot image emailed.

... If more than three family members, just install another wireless switch. 

Or if you have a big family velcro a PalmPad to the wall. I have nothing against self-reporting. I just didn't think that my wife would remember to report... and I can't even remember what the question was.....
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 09:55:46 PM by Dave_x10_L »

HA Dave

« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2009, 01:10:34 AM »

Just a quick thought on security...
Imagine the scenario... You get mugged and your keys are stolen. Your friendly neighborhood mugger uses your car remote to locate your vehicle and drives it away. He then uses your GPS system (or your car registration if you're low-tech) to locate where you live.

Maybe a Secert Knock (lock) would do the trick. Also see:   http://grathio.com/

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2009, 01:37:35 AM »

Just a quick thought on security...
Imagine the scenario... You get mugged and your keys are stolen. Your friendly neighborhood mugger uses your car remote to locate your vehicle and drives it away. He then uses your GPS system (or your car registration if you're low-tech) to locate where you live.

Maybe a Secert Knock (lock) would do the trick. Also see:   http://grathio.com/

That's a very cool and imaginative toy! 8)

I was thinking you could attach it to a jukebox or coke machine or such and play "Fonzie" by "thumping" the device with the right rhythm and turning it on / off or grabbing a coke!   -:)
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

aussie mate

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2009, 02:15:31 AM »

I am currently using a wireless key pad at the front door which has a button assigned to each member of the family.
They press the off button to leave the house & press the on button when they come home.

This works well - as long as they do it...

I also are investigating the use of a Bluetooth device that may be a better solution.
www.emxinc.com/pdf-access-controls/blueguard.pdf
Each of the family members who has a bluetooth enabled phone will be detected as soon as they are in range (30 feet).
The system hopefully will be able to detect each person & send a different signal for each one.

HA Dave

« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2009, 11:28:00 AM »

I also are investigating the use of a Bluetooth device that may be a better solution.
www.emxinc.com/pdf-access-controls/blueguard.pdf
Each of the family members who has a bluetooth enabled phone will be detected as soon as they are in range (30 feet).
The system hopefully will be able to detect each person & send a different signal for each one.

I think the secure BlueTooth cell phone may be the future. A tad pricey for me yet.. but I do like that idea. There is already one brand of lock that allow remote unlocking via cell phone. I am sure prices will continue to drop... (as will RFID tags).

Now that you capture the occupancy data via the keypad... how are you using the information? What actions or non-actions are taken because of occupancy.... or the lack of it?

I have just added automatic (based on occupancy) daylight monitoring of my yard when we aren't at home. So we aren't distracted by voice warnings or video images taken of us in our sweats while we use the yard... yet it is monitored when we aren't home. See my SARA Web Page.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 01:15:00 PM by Dave_x10_L »

stoney

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2009, 09:03:11 PM »

Jim Lipsit has a great HA system and also successfully used auto sensors.
Check the link below. Notice the alternate use of the X-10 flash module.

http://www.james.lipsit.com/smart_car_sensor.htm

HA Dave

« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2009, 10:57:52 PM »

Jim Lipsit has a great HA system and also successfully used auto sensors. Check the link below. Notice the alternate use of the X-10 flash module.
http://www.james.lipsit.com/smart_car_sensor.htm

Thanks for sharing stoney!

Yes Jim Lipsit does have a very nice setup. I have seen his video on YouTube before. His link to his car detectors is broken. Although I was able to get to Visonic Home page.... I cant find the sensors he used. It looks like a great solution.

I am not sure there is a one-solution-fits-all device out there. But I have found there are MANY simple easy ways to do this. And... that it IS worth it.

ITguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2009, 11:45:54 AM »

HA Dave

« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2009, 04:03:18 PM »

The Visionic products can be found at:
MCT-302 Transmitter   http://www.visonic.com/Products/Wireless-Property-Protection/Door-window-contact-mct-302
MCR-304 Receiver http://www.visonic.com/Products/Wireless-Property-Protection/Receiver-mcr-304
ITguy

Thank You ITguy!

Getting this info from (Jim Lipsit's Web Site) stoney and yourself are the kinds of group effort that makes this stuff much easier. I really like the visonic solution. I don't park in the garage myself... I'd rather have some bench space... but the wife uses it everynight. I know many X10 users don't have off-street parking available. But those sensors seem to have the range to make all conditions work.

I had originally planned that when both cars showed as gone.. the alarm would automatically set. I was able to accomplish that in macros also.

But I am learning a few things as I try this Occupancy Sensing stuff out. Like: there are times... when I'd rather not have the auto-alarm. And times when the conditions are NOT met that I do want the alarm on. And... times when the alarm is on... I want the phone to forward calls to my cell phone (or my wife's). And times when I'd rather the answering machine picked up the calls.

I woke up this morning... writing macros in my dreams (no joke). I've decided to break security down into 3 or 4 levels. With the lowest level requiring no effort and being completely automatic. And the highest level requiring using 2 buttons on a SH624. But all levels being simple and natural in execution... with no routines to remember.

I've recently posted some macros where I am using both flags and monitored modules to determine Occupancy. I've found it was pretty simple to use ether flag or module status as a condition or even both as an “and” condition.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 04:15:33 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.