Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Occupancy Sensing/Knowledge  (Read 87649 times)

raster69273

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Occupancy Sensing/Knowledge
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 03:05:22 PM »

What about PHOTO-ELECTRIC switches to "count cars"?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 07:02:19 PM »

What about PHOTO-ELECTRIC switches to "count cars"?

I am not sure how I would do that. Would a switch triggered by light blockage... detect (count) an intruders van... as if it was my pickup truck. Or would a misplaced item in the garage count as a parked car... if it blocked the photoelectric switch. If my wife left her car in the driveway (instead of the garage)... how would it be counted.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

BaBaLou.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 07:32:58 AM »

Your Cell Phone, is it capable of WiFi.
I have a BlackBerry Bold. It is set to connect by WiFi automatically to my Router at home and then the Business and as well at my Parents house.
NOW, how to make the router let X10 know that you are out of range and when you do get back into range.

Hold on, How about hacking an invisible fence kit for dogs, you know the ones that zap them or something when they leave the parameter of the yard.

Well, only an idea  -:) to get more wheels turning.
Seems that is very easy to do around here.

I am trying to make a directional sensor.

Let's me know when I enter an area or leave an area by using the direction the person is moving.
I need to put 2 eagle sensors side by side and restrain the viewing area of the sensor to see only strait out and parallel to each other.
Need to lessen the repeated signals from a room sensor eg Bathroom. :P no need to keep repeating a signal for the period of time you are there. 

:)+

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 10:31:27 AM »

Let's me know when I enter an area or leave an area by using the direction the person is moving.
I need to put 2 eagle sensors side by side and restrain the viewing area of the sensor to see only strait out and parallel to each other.
Need to lessen the repeated signals from a room sensor eg Bathroom.  no need to keep repeating a signal for the period of time you are there.

Very cool Idea BaBaLou. It will open up lots of possibilities!
Even I can think of a few! rofl
Since the sensors don't care how they are mounted you could mount them on their sides with tops facing each other !
Since the field of vision is straight out side to side and down you'd only have to play with spacing between each and wouldn't need to block it's field of view!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

BaBaLou.

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009, 11:19:27 AM »

The whole goal for me to try and get away from the multiple signals it creates, did try it as you have said but the overlapping of signals makes it hopeless and end up with a light that flashes on and off quickly  B:(.

I am already overloaded in RF traffic from other sensors and/or their heartbeats.

But another idea  -:) is going to try and use a Beam of light similar to ones used for Garage door openers safety cutoff, and Hack it into say a Power Flash or Universal module.

That would give me less traffic and hopefully a more efficient response trigger of the light.

HA Dave

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2009, 11:46:51 AM »

Puck has a macro he created for direction detection on a stairs.   http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=15998.msg87862#msg87862

HA Dave

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2009, 12:10:33 AM »

OK... after many hours of hanging around the Home Automation Chat asking questions and fishing for ideas. I popped the hood on a SlimFire (KR19A) remote and poked around a bit. By scraping off contact areas on the little board... I was able to short-out the circuit and cause a signal to be sent. (an image is attached)

I selected the KR19A because when a button is pressed it sends the signal for about two seconds... then stops. This should allow me to automate the button pushing using just one relay... and yet NOT flood the airways with RF signals.

The goal is to send an ON signal when a car starts. Then when the car is turned off send an OFF signal. Hence... an OFF signal could only mean the car is home. A relay connected to the car/trucks radio harness... borrowing a little power to operate a relay... should short-out the remote and send the proper signals.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 12:12:25 AM by Dave_x10_L »

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2009, 01:35:37 AM »

Need to lessen the repeated signals from a room sensor eg Bathroom. :P no need to keep repeating a signal for the period of time you are there. 

The whole goal for me to try and get away from the multiple signals it creates, did try it as you have said but the overlapping of signals makes it hopeless and end up with a light that flashes on and off quickly  B:(.

I am already overloaded in RF traffic from other sensors and/or their heartbeats.

But another idea  -:) is going to try and use a Beam of light similar to ones used for Garage door openers safety cutoff, and Hack it into say a Power Flash or Universal module.

That would give me less traffic and hopefully a more efficient response trigger of the light.

-:)  If you're considering mounting a light source opposite the detector anyway, why not mask of the motion portion of the Eagle Eyes and just use their dusk / dawn sensors?   :'

>!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2009, 09:23:41 AM »

OK... after many hours of hanging around the Home Automation Chat asking questions and fishing for ideas. I popped the hood on a SlimFire (KR19A) remote and poked around a bit. By scraping off contact areas on the little board... I was able to short-out the circuit and cause a signal to be sent. (an image is attached)

I selected the KR19A because when a button is pressed it sends the signal for about two seconds... then stops. This should allow me to automate the button pushing using just one relay... and yet NOT flood the airways with RF signals.

The goal is to send an ON signal when a car starts. Then when the car is turned off send an OFF signal. Hence... an OFF signal could only mean the car is home. A relay connected to the car/trucks radio harness... borrowing a little power to operate a relay... should short-out the remote and send the proper signals.

You go Dave.
And: I'll be watching you and this thread.  :)+
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

HA Dave

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2009, 02:09:34 PM »

I often create YouTube videos of my projects.... this project isn't too different. Except this time I decided to create the video as I experimented. I called the video "Trials, errors and tests". It was a (I think) a humorous glimpse into my modifications and videos.

As the 12 Volt positive connection slid into the negative... a bit of smoke and sparks... ended the video.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 04:27:13 PM by Dave_x10_L »

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2009, 07:41:47 PM »

Nice to to that I'm not the only one who sets fire to the bench when playing with electricity  rofl

I now tend to attach my little clippy thingies to the opposite edges of a small plastic component box to prevent that kind of thing happening.
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2009, 10:25:53 PM »

I often create YouTube videos of my projects.... this project isn't too different. Except this time I decided to create the video as I experimented. I call the video "Trials, errors and tests". It is a (I think humorous) glimpse into my modifications.

Enjoy.

Ahh, yes!  Nothing like the smell of burning insulation in the morning!   rofl

Been there, done that, put it out with the T-shirt.   :'
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

HA Dave

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2009, 02:22:43 PM »

Nothing like the smell of burning insulation in the morning! 

I don't mind... delays. But I really dislike failure. I have had no success with attaching something to the car (which would then cause car to report in for home or away). I am now looking at the varied devises for detecting cars.

steven r had the right idea all along.

But I don't think I could convince the wife that precise parking (like on a mat) would be beneficial. But if I can configure a parking device to merely detect the parked car.... that could work.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 02:24:52 PM by Dave_x10_L »

raster69273

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2009, 05:48:34 PM »

But if I can configure a parking device to merely detect the parked car.... that could work.
this is where i thought the photo-electric eye would detect the parked car

HA Dave

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2009, 05:58:48 PM »

this is where i thought the photo-electric eye would detect the parked car

raster69273 I see your point now! If the photo-electric eye was placed so as to be able to detect if a car was present or not... your idea is the best one yet. Sorry I was a bit slow.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.