Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Another newbie question - security system  (Read 24193 times)

x10dude

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
Re: Another newbie question - security system
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 08:28:12 PM »

Dave,

I'm sure there were all sorts of things in the 70s and they probably weren't even half "tuned up" as they are now in terms of energy consumption, noise, and the like. Honestly, I wouldn't personally know since in the 70's, I didn't even have electricity at home - let alone the other devices I mentioned.

My point still stands though. In looking at technology statistics, I can tell that not as many homes were as "connected" to the technology grid as they are now. How much was a microwave back then, for example? What about a large capacity freezer in your storage area/garage? Or even cordless phones that interfered with RF transmissions? Who could afford cable TV (remember ON TV?) in the 70s? What about the large capacity dishwasher or clothes washer or dryer? These were all luxuries back then, from what I understand. Now, they're almost basic necessities.

Anyway, my point is NOT to challenge anyone here, but to make a point, which I believe I've made. The more dependent you are to technology at home, the more challenges you will have getting X10 to work.

By the way, thanks for all the great work you guys do here. Had it not been for people like you, I would have already walked away from all of this.

Regards,

Frank

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 09:25:57 PM »

...My point still stands though. In looking at technology statistics, I can tell that not as many homes were as "connected" to the technology grid as they are now. How much was a microwave back then, for example? What about a large capacity freezer in your storage area/garage? Or even cordless phones that interfered with RF transmissions? Who could afford cable TV (remember ON TV?) in the 70s? What about the large capacity dishwasher or clothes washer or dryer? These were all luxuries back then, from what I understand. Now, they're almost basic necessities.

A microwave did cost a hunk back then... Mom had her Amanda Radar Range (what they were 1st called) in 1963.. if I remember it cost over $700. And... not only did we have cordless phones... we had CB's back then too. We had it all.. except the computers.

I can remember radio... but I have many "early" memories. We got TV in 1954... color TV was 1957... we had a dishwasher before we had color TV. I have one faint image in my memory of a wringer washer working. Dad was a radio-guy... we had a radio command center of sorts. We had an electric guitar... Hi-Fi record player... it really wasn't as primitive as one might think.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 10:41:29 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Swedish Tennis

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 10:27:59 AM »

Hi all,

Just wanted to update that I finally bit the bullet and got the 22 piece DS7000 kit + a large power horn.
I am sure I will be bugging you folks more on this forum.
Thanks again for all the suggestions so far (and looking fwd to more help :) ).

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 08:00:20 AM »

ST:

When it comes time to "install" your sensors into the DS7000, remember that you can carry the DS700 around to the sensors (assuming the battery is installed) to do the installations.  Or you can install the sensors before you mount them.

I'd suggest that you locate the sensors "temporarily" via tape, string, whatever.  Get them all placed, and installed into the DS7000, then just wait a overnight.  The DS10A's and the MS10A's report in to the console every 60-90 minutes (heartbeat) and if the console doesn't "hear" from them, their corresponding LED will flash. 

Also, while testing the range of the RF from the sensors - all to help you position the actual DS7000 in a location where it will "hear" all of the sensors - put the switch in "RUN-2" - the DS10A's will cause the DS7000 to "DING" every time the contacts are opened, or every hour if the heartbeat is transmitted while the contacts are open.

You WILL end up installing the sensors and the remotes several times into the DS7000.  Testing it for a couple of days to establish the best location for the console AND the sensors will pay off.

Another thing - IF you have purchased MS10A's, slide the switch to "2", and be sure to NOT position them in the path of any blast of heat coming from your HVAC or Home Theater system.

Welcome to X10!
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

Kramer Chins

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
    • Kramer Chins
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2009, 08:38:41 AM »

>! I second everything PajamaGuy just said!

It's awhole lot easier to have the console with you while installing your sensors... (Saves you a lot of running back and forth) Just put in the 9v battery and your good to go. Also you might consider getting a "Mounting Bracket" for your DS7000
Registered Members of MCBA... WWW.KRAMERCHINS.COM

Trying to learn X10 Day by Day...........

x10dude

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2009, 03:28:50 PM »

Actually, there's no need to carry the DS7000 around. I did that and accidentally broke the antenna which, as you can tell, is very poorly made. That set me back in my installation for a while.

If you leave the DS7000 in "install" mode, assuming it can pick up the RF signal from the window/door sensors you're installing, it will add them one by one (in order of activation). There's no need to go back and forth to the DS7000. If you accidentally activate a sensor (by pressing the test button or opening the contact) more than once, the DS7000 will only pick up the signal the first time, which is nice. Also, when in "install" mode, the DS7000 will "ding" each time you add a new sensor.

By the way, breaking the antenna on mine was actually a good thing. I have a larger home (3000 sf with more than 16 windows/doors) and, all along, I was planning on hiding the DS7000 in a closet in my bedroom. Well, with the stock antenna, it would have never worked.

When the antenna broke, I replaced it with (as I had already commented) one side of a rabbit VHF antenna. Now, I can even reach the sensors from my garage windows, which are about 5 walls and more than 100 feet away from the DS7000. BTW, the new antenna is a GE "color tv antenna model TV24706."

Now, I have the DS7000 mounted and well hidden in a closet, where I installed a new AC outlet, a new phone jack, and a new cable outlet along with my 16 wired-camera surveillance DVR, my cable modem, my VoIP adapter, and my (2) wi-fi routers - all connected to a UPS. That way, in case of power loss, I can now have at least 1 1/2 hrs of alarm, internet, surveillance, and phone coverage.

Kramer Chins

• Kramer Chins
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2009, 05:01:27 PM »

Actually, there's no need to carry the DS7000 around. I did that and accidentally broke the antenna which, as you can tell, is very poorly made. That set me back in my installation for a while.

If you leave the DS7000 in "install" mode, assuming it can pick up the RF signal from the window/door sensors you're installing, it will add them one by one (in order of activation). There's no need to go back and forth to the DS7000. If you accidentally activate a sensor (by pressing the test button or opening the contact) more than once, the DS7000 will only pick up the signal the first time, which is nice. Also, when in "install" mode, the DS7000 will "ding" each time you add a new sensor.

By the way, breaking the antenna on mine was actually a good thing. I have a larger home (3000 sf with more than 16 windows/doors) and, all along, I was planning on hiding the DS7000 in a closet in my bedroom. Well, with the stock antenna, it would have never worked.

When the antenna broke, I replaced it with (as I had already commented) one side of a rabbit VHF antenna. Now, I can even reach the sensors from my garage windows, which are about 5 walls and more than 100 feet away from the DS7000. BTW, the new antenna is a GE "color tv antenna model TV24706."

Now, I have the DS7000 mounted and well hidden in a closet, where I installed a new AC outlet, a new phone jack, and a new cable outlet along with my 16 wired-camera surveillance DVR, my cable modem, my VoIP adapter, and my (2) wi-fi routers - all connected to a UPS. That way, in case of power loss, I can now have at least 1 1/2 hrs of alarm, internet, surveillance, and phone coverage.

x10dude,

Can you tell us how you did your DS7000 Antenna Mod?

Do you have pics ?

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2009, 06:30:01 AM »

Actually, there's no need to carry the DS7000 around

You're right - if you have no motion sensors. And if you have no sensors that you do not want installed into the DS7000.  (I use MS10A's and DS10A's for things other than security)  And yes you can go around an turn motion sensors "to the wall" as you do when installing them into OnAlert.  My preference is to carry the DS7000 - with the antenna closed.  I've done it several times and have yet to even bend its antenna.

PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

x10dude

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2009, 08:06:11 PM »

Kramer

I created a new post where I included pics for the mod I mentioned. I hope you find it useful.

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=17748.0

Swedish Tennis

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2009, 10:35:29 AM »

Hi All,

Sorry for the late reply, was off for a week.
Thanks for all the tips. Looks like sensors are working so far.

One question (yet again :) ).
As pajamaguy suggested, I paired the sensors before installing and then started putting them up.
However, for one of them I ended up generating a new sec code and re-pairing it.
Now the problem is one of the sensor slots is unused (the sensor's previous one) but the DS7000 still thinks there is a sensor and its not reporting back.
Everytime I have to bypass it :(.

How do I un-learn a sensor from DS7000

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2009, 05:51:58 PM »

Remove the console backup battery. Unplug the DS7000 and wait about a half hour. Reprogram everything.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Kramer Chins

• Kramer Chins
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2009, 06:28:13 PM »

Remove the console backup battery. Unplug the DS7000 and wait about a half hour. Reprogram everything.

B:( Just like  Dave_x10_L said..... It's the only way!
  I know it's very frustrating.... This is when I put the battery back in grab the console and carry it with me as I reprogram each sensor....

Swedish Tennis

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2009, 03:07:28 PM »

B:( Just like  Dave_x10_L said..... It's the only way!
  I know it's very frustrating.... This is when I put the battery back in grab the console and carry it with me as I reprogram each sensor....

MAN! That is frustrating :(.
Luckliy, I have the weekend, so will try to re-do the learning.

Also, I guess in a sense it is good coz I just had all sensors on the table, paired them and then installed them one by one.
Now I can pair them in the right order I want !

Thanks again to everyone for the help.
PajamaGuy, thanks for the tip about the placement of sensor.

tom j

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2009, 12:18:13 AM »

Swedish,

My first alarm system (in the early 90's) was a wireless 24-hour monitored system, which (at the time) cost me $4,300 to buy & get installed. Then, I had to sign a multi-year contract to get it monitored ($30/month). Because I'm the type of person who really doesn't care to change stuff all the time (lack of time mainly), I stayed with them until about 4 years ago. Then, I moved into a new home and because I live in a quiet suburban area and nothing had happened in the neighborhood for the last 15 years that I had lived here, I just left the built-in alarm system and didn't even bother to turn it on all the time.

My house was broken into about 3 months ago while my family and I were sleeping upstairs. I've gone through hell and back dealing with all the stuff that was stolen (id theft, etc.)

I was very tempted to go back to the 24-hour monitoring system, but that didn't sound like much fun. Then, I decided to take this seriously and did LOTS of research. I wanted home automation, security, surveillance, remote access, notification, expandability, "coolness" factor, etc. The closest thing that came to delivering all this was X10, thus my being here.

Of course, conceptually anything is possible, but in reality things are different.

I must admit, though, that I've taken this "ride" as a challenge and I'm determined to make it work the way I want it. In the process, I've discovered that there's much to be desired in the world of "security" systems - honestly.

There's NO ONE solution that will offer everything you need or want. However, the more options something has, the more difficult it may be to integrate, manage, or deal with. That is the case with X10.

Granted, as a techie, I was sooo pleased when I got my lights to turn on/off the way I wanted them. I get this "cool" feeling when I press my TV/audio/PC/cable/x10 remote control to turn on/off lights/TV/cable/audio/PC jukebox.

If the X10 products were more robust and easily integrated, I'd be that much happier. I think they have a good concept, they just lack in the delivery. The only problem is that they own the intellectual property and can do whatever they want with it.

As Dave stated, this has been around for a while and there are add-ons after add-ons that will do all sorts of cool stuff. But not until wireless electricity becomes a reality, we're stuck to this slow moving dinosaur that has a large group of followers.

Whether I end up using everything that I bought is still TBD. You might find me on eBay selling it by the pieces or you might find me embracing it so much that I might get on the add-on bandwagon, or who knows? I might even decide to compete with them and come up with something to bring more excitement into this industry..

good luck.. happy trails..

Say Dude how did they get in? I recently put locks on all the windows. Just wondering hopefully your experence will help others.

Tom j.

x10dude

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2009, 03:22:53 AM »

hey Tom,

Unfortunately, it was the worst of ways - an inside job. But the worst part about it is they kept on coming back - almost every other night even a few weeks ago. 911 police were over a few times and saw the videos I had taken. Fortunately, with all the "stuff" I've put together, it would be almost impossible for them to go un-noticed.
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.