Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Security in a row home  (Read 4453 times)

HomeSweetHome

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Security in a row home
« on: March 02, 2009, 04:44:36 PM »

Hello! This is my first post.

I am trying to secure my house. The challenge is that I live in a row-house and the people who are threatening me/vandalizing the house are my next door neighbors. Can't move - disabled and on a limited income. But I am a retired Computer Science professor so I figure my brains are my best defense.

It is VERY IMPORTANT that my neighbors not find out that I use X10 systems. I rely on the lightening and remote controls every day and I would really hate to lose that functionality.

So my question is this: how to I set up motion sensors in my doorway, or outside without giving away that they are X10 linked? I scratched off the logo, but the switches are still under the cover.

Is it feasible to pull out the sensor part and solder it to a wire so that the sensor is outside but the switches are inside? Can anyone tell me step by step how to do this- my hands-on electronics experience is very limited.
Or maybe, a ruse is better- using some other company's sensor outside to turn on something that could trigger a X10 sensor inside.

I own most X10 equipment and the old Activehome (not pro since my new computer broke and I  am stuck with one which is too slow for pro) Thanks for any ideas!

HSH

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Security in a row home
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 06:15:08 PM »

Is it feasible to pull out the sensor part and solder it to a wire so that the sensor is outside but the switches are inside? Can anyone tell me step by step how to do this- my hands-on electronics experience is very limited.
Or maybe, a ruse is better- using some other company's sensor outside to turn on something that could trigger a X10 sensor inside.

I found this on the Internet. That guy goes all out with the mod. I would think picking up a wireless sensor at the local building supply and using a AC wallwart connected to a powerflash module to the receiver/plug-in part would work fine. Sorta like he did HERE.

I have connected the powerflash module to a chime myself... and it worked fine. I have also played with just using the "sensor and chime" units... which was also fine.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 06:32:27 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 08:48:51 PM »

I would definitely get AHP I've seen it for as cheap as 39 bucks with all the software included and x10 has got most of the bugs out. You could really use the Smart Macros with conditionals If Then, with a background in computer science you'll be up and running in a snap need help just post your questions here. and you can program it practically with a Commodore 64, not really but it doesn't require a powerhouse got a friend running a 266 processor that has it running so not to worry there. You guys agree?

Tom j.

HomeSweetHome

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 08:35:25 PM »

Thanks, Dave and Tom for your replies. I am still trying to understand the Powerflash solution and thank you for the link. Yes, I think the ActiveHome Pro package for $39 is a steal! My first problem is, though, how to trigger an event, if my motion sensor units can not be placed outside. 

HSH

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 09:06:33 PM »

....I am still trying to understand the Powerflash solution

The powerflash module can be trigger by a short (it has an internal power supply) or by a small current accross the poles. It will send an X10 signal on when triggered... and off when the trigger condition is removed. I used one for my garage door reminder. The Wiki is a good source for info:  http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Powerflash_Setup

Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.