Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: is an internet based option available for a Console? I don't have a phone line.  (Read 10280 times)

jjwithers

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

Is there a Console on the way that works from an internet connection of some sort? 

either something wireless or ethernet based?

I am one of the many that does not have a Phone line anymore. 

I guess the other option is to have the controller sound the alarm until one of the neighbors gets fed up and calls my cell... and by then, who knows if it will be too late or not....

thanks.

BVD

• Helpful Post Rating: 11

Is there a Console on the way that works from an internet connection of some sort? 

either something wireless or ethernet based?

I guess the other option is to have the controller sound the alarm until one of the neighbors gets fed up and calls my cell... and by then, who knows if it will be too late or not....

thanks.

Are you using Active Home Pro, do you have an internet connection, and can you receive text messages on your Cell Phone?

Thanks,
Bob
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 09:46:12 AM by BVD »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175

I don't know if "many" is the correct term.... I would say one of the very few. But the question is what is the solution you've planned for... and how is that working out for you.

I was one of the first in my area to switch to digital phone. Of course the problem with a cable based phone line is it is dependent of a powered modem. I resolved that issue with a UPS (uninterruptable power supply/battery backup). My solution had mixed results... having cell phone has been handy too.

One user recently mentioned buying a "bluetooth to phone line adapter device". Which allows the traditional phones to connect to a BT enabled cell phone to make and receive calls. He then used a pay-for-use cell phone to allow the alarm to call out... to protect his empty apartments. But if your setup is less mobile.... a discount pay-per-use landline may be about the same cost (or cheaper).
Home Automation is an always changing technology

jjwithers

I do not have Active home pro. Yes i have an internet connection (currently a Time Warner cable modem). I am set up for text messages on my cell.

How does Active Home Pro work?  does it work on its own or off a computer? does the computer have to be on all the time? How does it work with the security system's controller that is phone-line-based?

And when i say one of the many w/o a land line, perhaps it is a generational/location thing.  Most people i know that live in my area, are under 35, on 'their own' either renting or owning in a metropolitan area, do not have a land line. There is no point in paying another bill when your cell phone does it all.

Thanks for the replies!

HA Dave

....... Most people i know that live in my area, are under 35, on 'their own' either renting or owning in a metropolitan area, do not have a land line. There is no point in paying another bill when your cell phone does it all.

Yes I know. My son had the same idea. I offered to pay for his landline out of my own pocket. He thought I was silly at the time until his young son fell and broke his arm and he called 911. The Chicago suburb where he lives DOES respond to cell phone 911 calls. But as the squad explained to him... not nearly as quickly. Because every 12 year old also owns a cell phone... that makes them a major source of prank calls.

A basic fee-for-call land line is really cheap. So are smoke detector batteries.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 11:28:26 AM by Dave_x10_L »

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68

Active Home Pro runs on a Windows PC.  The CM15A interface is USB and is usually plugged into a USB port on the PC with AHP installed. It's not internet based although the software does have to be downloaded from X10's site.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139

Only X10 knows for sure, but if I were you I would NOT hold my breath.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

jjwithers

The other issue is that i am Mac only in my house.  not Windows at all.  Sounds like i am out of luck.. also considering that i covered up the phone jacks in my house as well...

time for X10 to catch up with the demands of today!

analog (though sometimes better) is becoming a thing of the past.  Digital, internet, wireless, etc... is the future.

i may get the security system anyway and hope that the alarm is enough.

thanks.

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16

The other issue is that i am Mac only in my house.  not Windows at all.  Sounds like i am out of luck.. also considering that i covered up the phone jacks in my house as well...

time for X10 to catch up with the demands of today!

analog (though sometimes better) is becoming a thing of the past.  Digital, internet, wireless, etc... is the future.

i may get the security system anyway and hope that the alarm is enough.

thanks.

Well maybe not, you can hook it up to a cell phone and have it dial out that way anyone have that x10 link to the cell phone cradle that x10 was pushing a while back?

Tom j.

BVD

• Helpful Post Rating: 11

The other issue is that i am Mac only in my house.  not Windows at all.  Sounds like i am out of luck..

http://www.x10.com/products/x10_ck11a_mac.htm

Not so fast jjeithers... The above link is to the Active Home Pro for MAC.

How does Active Home Pro work?  does it work on its own or off a computer? does the computer have to be on all the time? How does it work with the security system's controller that is phone-line-based?

I can not speak for the Mac Version but I can not imagine it being a whole lot different then the PC Version. With Active Home Pro software and the interface you send commands over the power lines in your home to different types of modules that enable you to remotely turn lights and appliances on and off, monitor different kinds of sensors, motion detectors, window&door sensors, and carry out commands you have programmed into macros.

As far as working on its own or off a computer, that depends on what you want to do with it. To carry out switching commands, basically most everything that does not have to do with security the commands are stored in a EEPROM in the interface and will be carried out weather the computer is on or off. However for what it sounds like you want to do it would involve computer intervention so the computer would have to be on.

How does it work with the security system's controller that is phone-line-based? Well you can still use the security system if you would like, but what I was alluding to when I ask if you could get text messages on your cell phone you can set up Active Home Pro to send you a email.

Here is an example:
You install a window/door sensor on your front door. You would write a macro that says example:
Name: Front Door
Trigger: Front Door Sensor Activated
Turn Alarm Siren ON
Turn Front Room Lights ON
Send Email xxx@xyz.com "Front Door Open" This is done using your internet mail connection thru X10 Gateway.
Delay 1 Minute
Turn Alarm Siren OFF
Turn Front Room Lights OFF

Beside dialing the phone I don't think there is much of the security console activities that can not be carried out by using AHP and its addons.

Something to think about!

P.S. You can send more than one email

Till Later,
Bob

x10dude

• Helpful Post Rating: 5

I don't know if "many" is the correct term.... I would say one of the very few.

Actually Dave, if we take the following note from "howstuffworks", it is actually many:

"As of late 2007, 16 percent of U.S. households had no landline whatsoever, compared to just 5 percent in 2004 [source: Associated Press]. If that rapid trend of ditching landlines continues, half of the U.S. could be without one in about 10 years."

http://communication.howstuffworks.com/landline-phone-obsolete.htm

HA Dave

Actually Dave, if we take the following note from "howstuffworks", it is actually many:

"As of late 2007, 16 percent of U.S. households had no landline whatsoever, compared to just 5 percent in 2004 [source: Associated Press]. If that rapid trend of ditching landlines continues, half of the U.S. could be without one in about 10 years."

http://communication.howstuffworks.com/landline-phone-obsolete.htm

Yes and if you follow their source link ([source: Associated Press]) you saw it was a bad link (that went no where). And AS A PARENT I can assure you that household landlines has dropped.... because of cell phones and KIDS and fax machines being replaced by email (and dial-up replaced by broadband). My brother works for a phone company... and it's true that at one time the average subscriber had 3 lines in many areas... and that number is dropping.

Cell phones are great! I love mine. And they're much better to give the kids (instead of the old landlines in their rooms). But I don't know of even one actual grownup to disconnect their home. Actually... I think this entire forum is about Home Automation... not person automation. It would be a step back to dumb-down my home by cutting it off from the real world before the infrastructure is here to support wireless.

I really like wireless! And whereas it would be wonderful to cut-the-wires (and complete Nikola Tesla's dream)... it ain't happened yet. I've seen a lot of changes... not just in recent years.. but my entire life. I won't even guess as to when "wires" will no longer entangle our world. My statements as to the need for a home to be wired... to be smart.. could be outdated soon. And I hope that is the case.

I am not trying to give you.. or anyone else a hard time. Sure... there is a buck or two to be saved by cutting services, or switching to different lighting, or... NOT EATING MEAT. But this isn't a newsletter from the Holly church of the faithful blind followers of planet worshipers. This is a forum about Home Automation. And no matter whatever your (or my) beliefs are.... this isn't a place to discuss them.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 07:27:36 PM by Dave_x10_L »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139

$0.02

The wired phone system is probably one of the most relialble, dependable forms of communications we have in our homes. Cell phones are not. When the world is cold and dark, the "Ma Bell" system will still probably have a dial tone for the cockroaches to listen to...
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.