Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ok, Garage door open alert - OVERRIDE?  (Read 6252 times)

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
Ok, Garage door open alert - OVERRIDE?
« on: March 23, 2009, 09:40:59 PM »

So thanks to all of you,

I too now have a garage door open alert that will go into a panic after 10 minutes of being left open, calling me on my cel phone and announcing the fact inside the house as well as an email.

Fan tastic!

Now I want a slick, hard switch type override for when I want to leave the garage open. I would love to stick em up anywhere that is convenient AND is poll-able (state-status) in a macro.

And I am drawing a blank. 

Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Ok, Garage door open alert - OVERRIDE?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 09:52:58 PM »

I too now have a garage door open alert that will go into a panic after 10 minutes of being left open, calling me on my cel phone and announcing the fact inside the house as well as an email.  Fan tastic!

Very cool!

Now I want a slick, hard switch type override for when I want to leave the garage open. I would love to stick em up anywhere that is convenient AND is poll-able (state-status) in a macro. And I am drawing a blank. 

How about using a Universal Module (UM506).... set to a monitored H/U code... the interface will remember the status of the Universal Module if it on a monitored code.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Kramer Chins

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
    • Kramer Chins
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 09:54:25 PM »

I don't know if this will help you or not...........

But I use a Slim Line wall Switch SS13A Mounted on the outside of my Chin Room in case I have to Over Ride My Alarm. I have a "Phantom" Over Ride Switch in AHP that I can mouse click to over the alarm. So I programed the Slim Line to the same code as my Phantom Switch.

>! Works for me..........
Registered Members of MCBA... WWW.KRAMERCHINS.COM

Trying to learn X10 Day by Day...........

bitman

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 11:41:58 PM »

I don't know if this will help you or not...........

But I use a Slim Line wall Switch SS13A Mounted on the outside of my Chin Room in case I have to Over Ride My Alarm. I have a "Phantom" Over Ride Switch in AHP that I can mouse click to over the alarm. So I programed the Slim Line to the same code as my Phantom Switch.

>! Works for me..........

So an SS13 on turns on a AHP switch that I can look at in my macro to check for override condition,
And the same SS13 switch going off (or the garage closing) will reset that "flag".

How simple. And I can stick those up anywhere.

We have a winner!

Thanks.

:)%
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 11:44:39 PM by bitman »

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 11:23:00 AM »

How simple. ....... We have a winner!

What a great (and HELPFUL) idea Kramer Chins! I think I got hung-up with the "hard switch type override". I have used a similar switching in a macro for my motion activated barking dog. I also incorporated the dusk/dawn sensor to rearm the macro, as a safety. So if I disarm the barking dog, and then forget I did that, nightfall (or sunrise) will automatically reset it... and it will function as normal.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 12:06:58 PM »

Bits

This is a FWIW.

If we have told the house we are leaving (by hitting the "Not At Home" button on way out door) and the garage door remains open for an additional 10 minutes, the system takes control and lowers the garage door AFTER "the three minute warning" which is a appliance module/wall wart/Sonalert which beeps for three minutes. Additionally; speakers in garage, front porch, patio, basement, all announce "The garage door will close in three minutes"..."two minutes"..."one minute"..."is closing"...  Then a Universal Module finally activates the lifter. Cancelling the action is simply telling the house we are really home by hitting the "At Home" button.

I decided to let the system have the autonomy to close the door (the Universal Module is locked out when the door is closed,  so there is no chance of an accidental opening) as long as I have plenty of warning that the door is closing and the lifter has safety sensors to prevent door from closing if obstructed by kar, kid, kat, etc. ;)

The email idea is a nice touch, but I didn't want to turn around and drive back home to manually close the door.

Works for us... but we live in a low crime area where I do not worry about the door being open for 13 minutes with us not home.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 01:02:43 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 12:20:38 PM »

I decided to let the system have the autonomy to close the door....

I like that idea! I think steven r has a similar setup. I am still working on a wife proof method of getting the house to know if we are home or not. This is good Home Automation!

bitman

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 03:00:46 PM »

The email idea is a nice touch, but I didn't want to turn around and drive back home to manually close the door.

I'm using Tuicemens AlertDialer that calls my cell phone and allows me to close the garage door via the cell phone touch tones. I just don't have the closing mechanism x-10ed like you have just yet. So while I can turn on a light with my cel phone, that's about it right now.

My problem is leaving it open when I come home with a load of stuff for whatever reason.
And thinking I've left it open when I leave because of autopilot action. So far it has never been open when I go back to check.

bitman

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 01:38:08 PM »

Alrighty then!

We have an over ride that gets canceled by the door closing. Works like a charm from an ss13a stuck up in the garage. All I need is a nightlight from wally world as an indicator of overridden condition.

"It's getting better all the time, better, better,better".

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 03:44:27 PM »

Yes, I admit, it's getting better.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Kramer Chins

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
    • Kramer Chins
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 05:43:30 PM »

>! Glad the SS13A done the job for you !!!!!!!!
Registered Members of MCBA... WWW.KRAMERCHINS.COM

Trying to learn X10 Day by Day...........

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.