Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Need some help to chose what to order.  (Read 3623 times)

jaunedeau

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Need some help to chose what to order.
« on: March 13, 2009, 04:14:01 PM »

Hi,

I have a living room, which stupidly have a switch at only one end (which means that I have to switch off the light, then cross the dark room to reach the bedroom every night).

I thought that X10 could solve my probleme, and it seems to be possible, but I leave in europe and here an X10 switch is about $50, which is out of question. Since I already made several transformerless PSU for some PIC based projects I designed, I'm not afraid to modifiy the ones on the cheap products at X10.com.

So, the only probleme is to know what exactly I have to buy. Since in France, the formfactor of the switches are different from what they are in USA, it just makes sens to go for a pair of slimeline switch decorator. There are several bundle with them, but mst have only two, and come with lot of lamp appliance. I use mainly (nearly only) CFLs, does it mean that HC10LM or LM15A will be useless to me ? If this is the case, I think I can just stop using the ceiling lamp, and use lights on wall outlets. I'll then use 4 lamp in the room, two of them can use the same outlet, which mean I would need :
-Two wireless switchs ( SS13A )
-One transceiver ( TM751 )
-Two appliance modules ( HC20AM if 2 pin is what I need for CFLs in 230V)

There is a $50 kit which includes all of this, with bonus (a credit card controller, sockets I may be able to use with incandescents in seldom used places, 3 lampe module and 2 switches, and a firecracker). This is about the price of one switch here, someone can confirm me that this might work, I'll take the bundle !

Regards,
Jaune.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Need some help to chose what to order.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 05:29:29 PM »

..... in europe and here an X10 switch is about $50, which is out of question. Since I already made several transformerless PSU for some PIC based projects I designed, I'm not afraid to modifiy the ones on the cheap products at X10.com.

You seem to understand a bit about electronics... likely more than me. So..... The way the X10 technology works is by placing a digital (FM I think) signal at the apex of the sine wave. So whereas you can alter you voltage... you Hz still won't be correct.

I would not risk my home, it's contents, my life, or the lives of the firefighters (that risk their own lives even if the fire was caused foolishly) trying to save a couple bucks. You should, IMHO, purchase from X10 Europe.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

jaunedeau

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 02:05:40 AM »

> So whereas you can alter you voltage... you Hz still won't be correct.

X10 signal is 120Hz and this does not depend on the frequency of the main outlet. The X10 signal start is synchronized on the zero of the AC, this will jst mean that the signal will take 20% longer under 50Hz.

>I would not risk my home, it's contents, my life, or the lives of the firefighters (that risk their own lives even if the fire was caused foolishly) trying to save a couple bucks.

I completely agree that this is not something that should be done by someone who don't have proper knowledge.

>You should, IMHO, purchase from X10 Europe.

the $50 pack on xcom would cost about $300 here. The only possible alternative would be an RF only pack, for which I'll certainly be unable to buy any new switch in a few months.

So, to be back to my question, for CFL, do I need 2 pin or 3 pin appliance ? Or can I just use a lamp module and not use the dimming functionnality ?

Regards,
Jaune.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 02:14:57 AM »

So, to be back to my question, for CFL, do I need 2 pin or 3 pin appliance ? Or can I just use a lamp module and not use the dimming functionnality ?

2 or 3 pin appliance module would be good (which ever is cheaper) as you really don't need the ground pin for the CFL.  I wouldn't suggest the lamp modules as the new ones have "soft start" and ramp up and down, so you really can't totally avoid dimming with them.  Socket rockets work well with CFL's in my experience, but they are pretty small and harder to hack.

>!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

jaunedeau

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 03:43:40 PM »

Thanks you for your answer bill.

Another question I have is about the RCA parts :
-Is there any reason I'd like to avoid them (quality ? Possibility to turn them into 230V ?)
-I think that the lamp modules don't have soft start, does this mean they are ok with CFL ?
-Can the wall switches ( HC30WD ) be used as controllers (to send on/off orders to AM486 or HC20AM, even if you don't have anything connected to the switch) ?

About the powerhouse :
-Is there any internal difference between the 2 pins (AM486) and 3 pins (AM466), or is there just a wire connecting the 3rd pin on each side ?

Thanks you,
Jaune.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 04:12:32 PM by jaunedeau »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.