Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Security System: Where to start  (Read 14132 times)

rjain15

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
New Security System: Where to start
« on: March 16, 2009, 06:22:48 PM »

I have a newbie question:

I am in the market looking for a wireless home security system - start from basic and which has to be expandable to include video capabilities and to internet access .

What is configuration I should go with? In some of the threads I read, the suggestion was to go to Lynx or Simon console?

What are the new touch screen consoles which are compatible with X10?

Suggestions greatly appreciated

regards
RJ

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Re: New Security System: Where to start
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 03:17:01 AM »

I am in the market looking for a wireless home security system - start from basic and which has to be expandable to include video capabilities and to internet access .

What is configuration I should go with? In some of the threads I read, the suggestion was to go to Lynx or Simon console?

regards
RJ

hm mm....  what's your price range and what kind of capabilities are you looking for? X10 doesn't support fire or CO for example.

Tom j.

Kramer Chins

• Kramer Chins
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 06:15:31 AM »

regards
RJ

hm mm....  what's your price range and what kind of capabilities are you looking for? X10 doesn't support fire or CO for example.

Tom j.

:' At least not without some modifications.........
Registered Members of MCBA... WWW.KRAMERCHINS.COM

Trying to learn X10 Day by Day...........

rjain15

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 02:08:05 PM »

My price range is 150-200 to start with? Do I need to buy Active Pro with the Console?

tom j

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 08:18:17 PM »

My price range is 150-200 to start with? Do I need to buy Active Pro with the Console?

What kind of capabilities are you looking for. And yes if you're willing to do a lot of modifications you can do fire and CO but not out the box.

Tom j.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 11:24:56 AM »

There are only a handful of inexpensive DIY Home Security Alarms. If you hope to stay under the $200 entry price... AND have a system that is expandable to Video and Internet monitoring... I think X10 is the only selection.

If you're also considering using some of the advantages of Home Automation... for both convenience and security... then I am sure X10 is the only selection.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

tom j

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 11:47:51 PM »

There are only a handful of inexpensive DIY Home Security Alarms. If you hope to stay under the $200 entry price... AND have a system that is expandable to Video and Internet monitoring... I think X10 is the only selection.

If you're also considering using some of the advantages of Home Automation... for both convenience and security... then I am sure X10 is the only selection.

Well................  Dave there might be one other option. Drum roll please.......

The Power Max see link below, with home automaton capabilities to boot!

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/ezStore123/DTProductZoom.asp?productID=1164

Tom j.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 11:12:08 AM »

Well................  Dave there might be one other option. http://www.homesecuritystore.com/ezStore123/DTProductZoom.asp?productID=1164

I hadn't seen that Alarm! Although it does have many FINE optional add-on's... I didn't see HA as one of them. But other than that one exception I have to admit that is certainly very nice system. And as an alarm... complete in every way I can think of... and certainly worth consideration.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

tom j

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 07:32:22 PM »

Yep it offers a gateway I mean you can call in and control your x10 lights and appliances also supports video. Don't know if it offers RF capabilities though.

Tom j.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 08:37:48 PM by tom j »

tom j

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 08:41:57 PM »

I don't know why but they don't mention in the description that you can also have this unit professionally monitored for as little as 8.99 a month. This unit is x10 compatible and will also flash your x10 controlled lights and activate your powerhorns. It also has support for an outside siren. In addition you can CALL into the system and check the status or turn it on or off remotely. It can also be programed to call your cell phone when someone uses their key fob to turn the alarm off or on for that matter. This thing has features galore and it would be a good idea to try to download the user manual. Be sure to also check out the video description with the link I provided.

Tom j.

:)%

tom j

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 08:50:51 PM »

Got the following off the Smarthome Website, they have the same unit but put their name on it and doubled the price you can also download the users manuals see the link below.

Tom j.

Lighting Control via X10
For maximum convenience, Smarthome SecureLinc Wireless Home Security System can even operate 15 X10-controlled lights or appliances (or 15 groups of lights or appliances), including 2-way appliances and those with dim/bright features. In addition to scheduling your X10 appliances to prepare your home for your arrival at night or from a vacation, you can also use the X10 timer function to make your home look occupied when you're away. Or you can have it turn the X10-controlled porch light on for four minutes when you arm or disarm the system, so that you'll never have to enter or leave your house in the dark. Note: To access these features, you'll need the optional X10 Cable & Interface, sold separately.

In addition to this Smarthome SecureLinc Web-Enabled Home Security System for the Elderly, Smarthome's best-selling security system is available in two similar kits: The Smarthome SecureLinc Remote-Access Wireless Home Security System and the Smarthome SecureLinc Web-Enabled Home Security System for the Elderly.

http://www.smarthome.com/73903W/Smarthome-SecureLinc-Wireless-Home-Security-System/p.aspx

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.