Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ready to make a purchase  (Read 3954 times)

Elfmaze

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Ready to make a purchase
« on: April 09, 2009, 08:33:04 AM »

X10 just sent me a $15 gift cert for signing up for there emails.  SO i'm ready to buy!  I'm thinking the CFL "Package - http://www.x10.com/promotions/cm15a_am466_large_home_burst2_cat.html" with all the software,  the CFL module, and the active home module for $49 is the way to go?  Then since light switches go for three packs on ebay i will use the extra $15(need $49 for the shipping) to get a light switch( i need four total)

The only question i have is My bathroom has all CFL lights,   BUT the bathroom wall plate is a combo standard switch and outlet.  I don't know if the large rocker switch(WS13A) will fit,  I'd need to see if they make the rocker switch + outlet covers at home depot.

Anyone know if i can use the WS467 in the bathroom since it will fit the plate or just find a new trim plate?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 11:46:21 AM by Elfmaze »

Kramer Chins

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
    • Kramer Chins
Re: Ready to make a pruchase
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 08:53:24 AM »

The only question i have is My bathroom has all CFL lights,   BUT the bathroom wall plate is a combo standard switch and outlet.  I don't know if the large rocker switch(WS13A) will fit,  I'd need to see if they make the rocker switch + outlet covers at home depot.

Anyone know if i can use the WS467 in the bathroom since it will fit the plate or just find a new trim plate?

I have WS467's installed in my house and the "switch plates" fit just fine with NO trimming.....

Not sure about the WS13A's as I don't have mine installed yet. But I would assume they would fit the wall plates as well.

>! Hope this helps some
Registered Members of MCBA... WWW.KRAMERCHINS.COM

Trying to learn X10 Day by Day...........

Elfmaze

Re: Ready to make a pruchase
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 09:13:16 AM »

Ack!! now i can't figure out the difference between the ws13A and the XPS3's

Edit:  Got the software bundle, a CFL lamp/app module, and a ws13a light switch on the way for $65 not too bad and should be everything i need to start off with the bedroom!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 11:47:29 AM by Elfmaze »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Ready to make a purchase
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 12:10:43 PM »

The only question i have is My bathroom has all CFL lights, 

Elfmaze

The WS467 will not work with (just) CFLs. The switch is a two wire switch which draws operating current for it's internal electronics through the filament of the incandescent bulb it controls. Typically a CFL will not "leak" enough current for the switch. Maybe be several will, but a simple fix is to install at least one incandesent bulb in the mix. Also there is a history on this forum of non dimming CFLs not liking the dimming or Soft Start of the WS467. A better choice would be the WS13A, XPS3, (or XPDI3 for dimming, dimmable CFLs). All of these switches require a neutral wire in addition to the "Hot" and "Load" (three wire switch).
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

trol1374

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 08:18:59 PM »

The WS13A and XPS3 is the samething.  Those rocker switches fit into standard rocker plates available at Home Depot.  As previously mentioned, those rocker switches need a neutral wire.  Make sure there is one in your outlet box.
  Once all is hooked up, those rocker switches make a "thunk" noise when activated on/off.  So don't let the noise startle you.
  You will enjoy getting the automation going.  I'm sure you will have many questions getting things setup.  Search the forums for any problems you may encounter and don't be afraid to ask for help here.

IMPORTANT:  Once you get your software installed and the CM15 plugged in.  Setup an appliance module in the software.  THEN, plug that  module you bought into the outlet in the room you want to control and then plug a simple lamp into that module.   Then test to make sure the computer can turn on/off that module.   Do this before you start wiring up switches.   Reason being is that some houses are in two electrical phases and the signal to control can't jump phases without some modification add on.  Doing things with this simple test shows that all is working as far as communication, so you don't think you wired the switch wrong.
    So, once you get your software.  Start a new  module, make the code whatever (ie L1).  Then on the actual module turn the dials to house code L and unit code 1.  Plug into wall, plug lamp in (turn on lamp).  Then check by using software to on/off module.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 08:46:55 PM by trol1374 »

Elfmaze

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 07:46:43 PM »

Yep it did and didn't work.   Light turned on but only if plugged into the same outlet as the controller,  See frustration post.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.