Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Log Me In & My House  (Read 37860 times)

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
Log Me In & My House
« on: March 29, 2009, 10:42:04 PM »

Hay guys thanks for the info on Log Me In looks like the way I'm going to access AHP. Let me make sure I understand does Log Me In replace My House or just complement it, still a little confused. Thanks!

Tom j.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Log Me In & My House
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 07:51:42 AM »

Log Me In is a program that works like Windows remote access. It allows one Full control of your PC over the internet you still have to rely on someone Else's server from what I understand (never actually used it).
You might wish to look at Real VCN and compare. It uses your PC as the server so your not relying on someone else.You can also control PCs in your home network without going on the internet.
If your running XP you'll be able to use the free version!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 08:29:25 AM »

I have used both Logmein and Real VNC and each does a good job.  I would say (in my experience) that the setup on Logmein is much easier.  Maybe some one here could address any security concerns you might have because as Tuicemen stated: "It allows one Full Control of your PC".

tom j

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 11:12:46 AM »

I have used both Logmein and Real VNC and each does a good job.  I would say (in my experience) that the setup on Logmein is much easier.  Maybe some one here could address any security concerns you might have because as Tuicemen stated: "It allows one Full Control of your PC".

Hi Jmac, well I take it that Logmein would actually replace My House, you wouldn't need both to access Active Home Pro would you. Thanks

Tom j.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 11:26:54 AM »

Maybe some one here could address any security concerns you might have because as Tuicemen stated: "It allows one Full Control of your PC".
Both are as secure as Myhouse.
Real VNC maybe the safest as you can specify ports and make changes localy on your sever machine
tom j
If you are going to use a remote access program like Log me In there is no need to connect to myhouse server if fact you wouldn't even need that plug-in installed.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

tom j

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 09:32:49 PM »

Maybe some one here could address any security concerns you might have because as Tuicemen stated: "It allows one Full Control of your PC".
Both are as secure as Myhouse.
Real VNC maybe the safest as you can specify ports and make changes localy on your sever machine
tom j
If you are going to use a remote access program like Log me In there is no need to connect to myhouse server if fact you wouldn't even need that plug-in installed.
 >!

Thanks that what I thought and once you install the other plugins like iWatch and On Alert you would use Log Me In to access them instead of My House. So I guess My House is a gateway to the other plugins is that it? Thanks

Tom j.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 09:42:31 PM »

Myhouse just lets you access AHP remotely if you have the other plug-ins they become part of AHP! But not all the options of AHP are available with MyHouse! So it isn't realy a gate way to the pug-ins. ::) Log Me In is like you are on you HA machine allowing access to every thing you normaly would have access to! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

tom j

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 08:13:36 PM »

Myhouse just lets you access AHP remotely if you have the other plug-ins they become part of AHP! But not all the options of AHP are available with MyHouse! So it isn't realy a gate way to the pug-ins. ::) Log Me In is like you are on you HA machine allowing access to every thing you normaly would have access to! ;)

Well I actually meant a gateway if you have the other plugins installed. Thanks!

Tom j.

x10dude

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 12:33:01 AM »

Hey Tom,

I'm currently a LogMeIn user. I did extensive research on the best remote desktop system to use and decided on this one. The main reason is security. With LogMeIn, I get 256bit encryption and little to no configuration issues. I can also access my AHP computer from just about anywhere - including my cell phone. I also went for the free version since I don't require the "extra" stuff they offer.

With Real VNC, there NO SECURITY at all (unless you get the professional version, which only gives you 128 bit encryption), which means that if anyone knows how to listen to a port (known as "man-in-the-middle" attack), they can easily hack into your machine and do whatever they want with it since ANY remote desktop system will provide total control of your system.

I also looked into Windows Remote Desktop. It provides 128bit encryption, but does require a lot of configuration to get it to work securely. For one, it has a designated port number (hard-coded, but you can change it through a registry modification), which is well known and most hackers will attack that port. The best way to configure Windows RDP is through tunneling, which requires extra hardware (router in some cases) or extra software (Windows server to validate a user logging in.)

Yes, LogMeIn does require that you go through someone else (the logmein site itself) to validate your membership and establish a secure connection between the client (the machine you're connecting from) to the server (your machine at home.) Once you're validated, you establish a P2P (peer to peer) connection with your machine so the performance is MUCH BETTER than the other solutions.

Personally, I can watch real-time video from my cell phone that's playing live (surveillance system) on my AHP machine by using LogMeIn. I couldn't do that reliably with RealVNC or Windows RDP. My connection would get saturated and dropped.

The reason why I ended up using a remote desktop instead of "My House" is because X10's service is very unreliable and definitely not designed for the bandwith I needed.

So, yes, once you go with the remote desktop option, you will not even need to bother connecting your system through X10's service. I connected once, tested it, and never logged in again.

I hope this helps!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 12:39:53 AM by x10dude »

crowntown

• Helpful Post Rating: -5
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 01:53:38 AM »

I use Hamachi which is owned by Logmein.  I also have Logmein but prefer Hamachi much more.  It is rock solid.

I remote desktop over the Hamachi VPN with TightVNC.  It's as secure as it gets.

I also use Hamachi with gHamachi GUI on Ubuntu.  There's also Hamachi for OSX and a few frontends.

crowntown

• Helpful Post Rating: -5
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 02:18:50 AM »

I might mention that Logmein's Hamachi is a standalone program.  You can put it on Windows, Linux, Mac.  But you can also use it through cellphones, PSPs and other internet enabled devices by using VNC.  You only need to run Hamachi on the server side.  By using VNC over the Hamachi VPN, you get the full benefit of Logmein encryption with the features of VNC.

ultradianguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 01:34:13 AM »

Hi - I've tried to go to the Logmein web site several times and have consistently gotten errors.  Does this site still exist?

Thanks,
Michael

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 06:48:17 AM »

Worked fine this morning. www.logmein.com
test at 6:45 EDT
OHio, USA
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

ultradianguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 10:36:20 AM »

Okay - figured it out.  IT at my workplace blocks access. Guess I can't use this to check what's going on when I'm at work.

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 05:56:55 AM »

$0.02

I had the same issue, but was able to get around it for a while by using LMI "Ignition" installed on a USB stick.  But after a while, that too got blocked.  If they haven't gotten around to it yet, you might try Microsoft's Live Mesh.

If I really need to get through, I carry my laptop to a location where I can get GREEN access either wired or wireless. (Green being our term for access to the Public WWW without using the corporate network - like for visiting vendors or VIPs...)
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.