Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Earth Hour  (Read 4490 times)

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Earth Hour
« on: March 28, 2009, 09:26:20 AM »

I know this is going to open up lots of discussion, but here it is anyways.
Tonight (28 March 2009) at 8:30 pm (local time zones)  "Earth Hour" begins.  The group is asking that all people turn off the lights for one hour.  I have read that one billion people turning off the lights for one hour will be like cutting China's carbon emissions for 6 seconds, but every little bit helps.
With X10 and the related software (AH, AHP) or even those of us who automate with the mini timers, this is easy. 
I know this doesn't help the environment much, but every little bit helps.  Worried about security?  Why not sit outside for that hour and get to know the neighbors again, or just look up and enjoy the sky.
More info here: www.earthhour.org
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 12:15:53 PM by Knightrider »
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Earth Hour
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 10:27:32 AM »

I have an "Earth Hour" macro that I wrote last year for this purpose.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 12:05:16 PM »

Stupid Hippies.

Power to the people right on.  :D
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 01:46:00 PM »

....Tonight (28 March 2009) at 8:30 pm (local time zones)  "Earth Hour" begins.  The group is asking that all people turn off the lights for one hour.

Maybe... Christmas is about Santa.. and Easter about bunnies. In reality the Earth people are asking you to take part in the worship of self. God-self is dependent on body and earth. Pay homage to Earth for the pleasures of flesh.

I have read that one billion people turning off the lights for one hour will be like cutting China's carbon emissions for 6 seconds, but every little bit helps.

Every little prayer and act of faithfulness helps. Particularly in the movement of a new religion.

With X10 and the related software (AH, AHP) or even those of us who automate with the mini timers, this is easy. I know this doesn't help the environment much, but every little bit helps. 

X10 embraces the use of technology. X10 is founded in electronics, math, and science. True science is the Antichrist of the environmental movement. Environmentalism supports a new democratic science. Which is a term meaning a science by consensus.. or science by vote or popularity. Of course.. a logical mind realizes this to be foolish.

Environmentalism is a religion! As a faithful patriot and veteran of America... I would defend with my life.. the right for environmentalists to worships as they choose.

As a Christan... I will defend my right to worship... also with my life.

...Why not sit outside for that hour and get to know the neighbors again, or just look up and enjoy the sky.
More info here: www.earthhour.org

Or dance naked around a giant model of a CFL?

Stupid Hippies.

Yes.

Power to the people right on.  :D

Or as we said in rural America... Farm out... Right Arm, no shirt!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 02:29:04 PM »

I know this is going to open up lots of discussion, but here it is anyways.

.....never fails  :'

rofl
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 02:42:46 PM »

......Or dance naked around a giant model of a CFL?.......

We did that last night!!!!!    :angel:

Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 05:48:28 PM »

I'll be sitting in the dark then cause its important to my kids. BUT...... I'm not shutting off my DVR  :'

Why not sit outside for that hour and get to know the neighbors again, or just look up and enjoy the sky.

Funny thing is something like this is when I got to know my neighbors really well. When earth decided to have its own power out day here in Ohio... (big wind storm) We set out side and talked even had dinner together..oh and cut the tree off the neighbors car  :-\ not a bad idea Knightider Just be clothed and don't worship the CFL   ::)

Guess I will see the gang in the chat room after 9:30
People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 07:45:02 PM »

...I'm not shutting off my DVR...
To paraphrase the saying about Las Vegas... The light and electricity that goes on in the house stays in the house.
I see the whole Earth Hour not as an attempt to see how much energy one can save but an attempt to raise general awareness of energy use.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 07:46:36 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 09:31:01 PM »

.....I see the whole Earth Hour not as an attempt to see how much energy one can save but an attempt to raise general awareness of energy use.

More then 50 percent of the worlds population doesn't have indoor plumbing. That often means... most of the worlds children can't see through their glass of muddy drinking water. Similar sad tales can be said of food availability.

And... do I understand correctly... that someone believes that disrupting a distribution system though reduced energy use is a GOOD THING?

Good for mother earth maybe.... for humans... a very bad thing.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 10:51:53 PM »

Happy Earth Hour!  >!
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 06:13:55 PM »

I can't wait to see how many people buy in to this. I hope I am not surprised, but based on the election...I probably will be.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 06:37:23 PM »

They reported.........Up to 30 million people were expected to have turned off their lights for 60 minutes by the time "Earth Hour" -- which started in Suva in Fiji and Christchurch in New Zealand -- completed its cycle westward.
More than 380 towns and cities and 3,500 businesses in 35 countries signed up for the campaign

So pretty big but they really have no way of knowing for sure how many people did.
People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.