🔌General Home Automation > User Modified Devices

NOAA Weather Radio

<< < (3/3)

Knightrider:

--- Quote from: WildBill47 on April 05, 2009, 08:38:08 PM ---You might go about this another way, NOAA has an XML RSS feeds as well as ASCII text feeds, would not seem hard to write a small application to monitor one of these feed type and parse it for data relevent to you.

--- End quote ---

For that matter, there are some weather related SDK's out there (ahem, weatherbug, ahem) that could do that as well.
Most of us use cable modems these days (I wish), and that tend to go out from time to time.

That being said, my power tends to go out in a storm too which makes x10 useless anyways.

Let me ask you this: you really want to run the computer in a storm?

WildBill47:
The one I worked with over 20 years ago now was a UHF radio based unit at a local FM radio station, RF was from s NOAA, would set it beeping for severe warnings, wish I could remember when kind it was but at the time I was just developing an application to take the test and format the text to plug it in to canned alert annoucemments for the "talent"

It would be easy enough to power the radio from a few rechargable D cells, if you did not want to have it risked being plugged in. The application could run off a super low end portable PC to a good APC UPS and you would be all set. I would not rely on phone or internet lines either.

Tuicemen:
Actually this was a very early add to X10Dispatcher Not sure if it still works with the US web site it was configured to but it is easy to setup for Any web based weather reporting site, from that you could do what I had setup!
I had it call my cell Phone and using AlertDialer I could trigger any X10 event and even power down the PC!  ;)
But you could trigger any thing with X10dispatcher!
 >!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version