🔌General Home Automation > User Modified Devices

NOAA Weather Radio

<< < (2/3) > >>

steven r:
Some, such as the inexpensive Midland I have, have an output jack for triggering an external alert such as a powerflash module.

Once you can trigger a powerflash, the sky's the limit as to what you can do.

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: Knightrider on April 01, 2009, 07:16:19 PM ---......... It's severe weather season again in my part of the planet, and was thinking of getting a cheap weather radio.

--- End quote ---

The wife and I were having dinner tonight and could only sorta barely hear the weather alert... over the sound of the TV I had left on. We keep it in a spare bedroom so it's out-of-sight... but it's still loud enough to get our attention most of the time.. or at least while we are sleeping. This already sounds like a great possible project.

--- Quote from: steven r on April 02, 2009, 02:31:18 PM ---Some, such as the inexpensive Midland I have, have an output jack for triggering an external alert such as a powerflash module. Once you can trigger a powerflash, the sky's the limit as to what you can do.

--- End quote ---

When I went in to the spare bedroom to hear what the weather alert radio was.. alerting us about. I noticed ours is also a Midland... and also has the ext alert jack-looking-hole there. And... I do have a spare PowerFlash.

Huummm... maybe I could run that radio through my BVC speakers... or also (use BVC) to mute the TV... so much can be done.

I went to http://www.midlandradio.com/   to poke around and checkout manuals and strobe lights and such.

Kramer Chins:

--- Quote from: Dave_x10_L on April 05, 2009, 06:49:51 PM ---
--- Quote from: Knightrider on April 01, 2009, 07:16:19 PM ---......... It's severe weather season again in my part of the planet, and was thinking of getting a cheap weather radio.

--- End quote ---

The wife and I were having dinner tonight and could only sorta barely hear the weather alert... over the sound of the TV I had left on. We keep it in a spare bedroom so it's out-of-sight... but it's still loud enough to get our attention most of the time.. or at least while we are sleeping. This already sounds like a great possiable project.

--- Quote from: steven r on April 02, 2009, 02:31:18 PM ---Some, such as the inexpensive Midland I have, have an output jack for triggering an external alert such as a powerflash module. Once you can trigger a powerflash, the sky's the limit as to what you can do.

--- End quote ---

When I went in to the spare bedroom to hear what the weather alert radio was.. alerting us about. I noticed ours is also a Midland... and also has the ext alert jack-looking-hole there. And... I do have a spare PowerFlash.

Huummm... maybe I could run that radio through my BVC speakers... or also (use BVC) to mute the TV... so much can be done.

--- End quote ---

??? What Midland Model is it ..........

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: Kramer Chins on April 05, 2009, 07:19:16 PM --- ??? What Midland Model is it ..........

--- End quote ---

Mine is an old 74-109.

WildBill47:
You might go about this another way, NOAA has an XML RSS feeds as well as ASCII text feeds, would not seem hard to write a small application to monitor one of these feed type and parse it for data relevent to you. You can get an ASCII text feed radio pretty cheap my guess is. Feed that to a serial port on you AHP PC and then you could tigger BVC, power horns, lights, you could even fax our your Will depending on the content of the message.

Last I saw their text formats they were highly structured with headers, date/time stamps in GMT, various codes for the nature of the alert, etc, these text for humans was almost an after throught.

Something to think about.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version