Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 security systems working with a Network Storage device.  (Read 6019 times)

mona70

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 security systems working with a Network Storage device.
« on: April 22, 2009, 02:04:20 AM »

Hi all,

I am planing to purchase the following security systems from x10 to install and use to secure my home while I am away for work for a month.

1 Wireless PC Transceiver (CM19A)
1 PAN AND TILT KIT W/ CAMERA (CR14A)
1 Security Surveillance Decal (4 x 6.5) (MM022)
1 Security Surveillance Window/Yard Sign (6 5/8 x 10.5) (MM023)
4 EagleEye Motion Sensor (MS14A)
1 Vanguard Control Center Software (SW26A)
1 Small Wireless Transceiver (TM751)
1 DVR/VCR Commander II (UX23A)
1 USB Video Capture Adapter (VA12A)
1 Pan & Tilt Base plus Camera (VK75A)
1 Small Video Receiver (no audio) (VR36A)
1 Xcam2 with Power Supply (XX11A)
2 NightWatch Wireless Low-Light B/W Video Camera (XX20A)[/
i]

I wish to have the video recorded on to my NETGEAR 500GB READYNAS DUO (1x500GB) GIGABIT NETWORK  STORAGE - RND2150-100NAS . Is that possible? Any possible technical issues?

I wish to have the video recorded on to a device with out any user interactions (since I am not at home?). I don't have an option to record to a computer. If I use my computer, I have to leave my computer on and it will go on standby mode and my network card may not work properly when it is in standby. Please give me some suggestions and possible solutions. Thanks in advance for all your inputs.

The specs on Network Storage Device is below.

ReadyNAS Duo Network Attached Storage Device
2 Serial ATA channels
Compatible with SATA and SATA II HDD
Hot swappable and lockable trays
10/100/1000 Ethernet
3 USB 2.0 ports
256 MB PC2700 DDR-SDRAM SO-DIMM
Embedded 64 MB flash memory for OS
Supports Windows, Mac, Linux/UNIX Clients
Setup wizard and easy browser-based interface
NETGEAR Auto-Expandable X-RAID

Have a wondeful day!
-Mona

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
Re: X10 security systems working with a Network Storage device.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 09:03:39 AM »

It looks like this device is just a network storage device which needs a computer to access.  If you can find a network storage device with DVR capabilities than you can use your VCR/DVR Ir commander to record to it without the use of a computer.

Right now it look as this device will need a computer and some kind of recording software to store the video on it.  There has to be a way for the video receiver to get the video to a computer and then the recording software can save it to this device.

Yes it has USB ports and supports flash drives, but I think what this does it just puts the flash drive on the same network storage device.

Using your computer:  You can setup the computer to not go on standby and actually should be able to tell the network card not to fall asleep in the device manager.  Then you could just turn your monitor off to save power.
Almost anything can be told or setup to not go into standby.

That is one way of doing it.  I'm sure the other users here could come up with some more ideas.  But it really looks like with the system that your planning on getting really needs a computer to function properly.  ;)
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 09:09:24 AM »

Yea, while AHP can record to a dvr/vcr, can it in any way, spool video to a hard drive. That is partly what the OP wants to know and I want to know too.  ;D
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

x10dude

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 12:31:18 PM »

While I don't see any mention of AHP on the original thread, I don't see why you couldn't map a network drive through Windows (reconnect at startup) and make it the video/still destination w/in AHP configuration.

As for the OP's question, I agree with hawk1. None of the devices listed by mona70 has the "smarts" to capture and store video at all. They are all peripherals and can't do much w/out a host. A computer must be running for video to end up on the NAS, whose OS is set up to ONLY manage clients serving it data.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.