Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Start you're car?  (Read 3094 times)

Elfmaze

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Start you're car?
« on: April 23, 2009, 12:24:47 PM »

I don't see anyone has had this idea yet.    What about using a spare keyfob and a remote start to start you're car 5-10 mins before you're departure time?  You could use a universal module.

x10dude

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
Re: Start you're car?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 12:42:21 PM »

I may be missing something here, but is the idea to have the universal module plugged into the wall somewhere to receive a PLC and activate the starter? I was under the impression that remote car starters come with a keychain remote that you click on when you want your car started, thus obviating the need for X10.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 02:57:35 PM »

What about using a spare keyfob and a remote start to start you're car 5-10 mins before you're departure time?

Are you thinking of hacking the remote start and then use X10 to automate the starting process?

That would allow you to "not need to remember" to start the car at some point in your "getting ready process". I am guessing... that your thinking if you leave everyday at 7:05 you could have the car start automatically at 6:59.

Or... are you thinking that a plug-in hot-wire connection be made.... and a universal module (or two) be used to complete the connections... triggered by a X10 keyfob remote.

Ether way... with the cost of gasoline compared to the cost of electric... you might want to think outside the box.

Many, MANY years ago in a land far far away (actually it was just early 1st wife)... I affixed a 120 volt electric heater in the wife's car. If... when I left for work... if it was cold enough to require a warm-up and/or window scraping. I would plug-in the electric heater in the wife's car. I would then run the cord through her window so she couldn't miss it and turn the heater on. A few minutes later when she would leave for work her car would be warm and the windows ice free and clear.

I know some far-north drivers have plug-in block heaters and such. Such heaters should be simple enough to automate.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 07:27:40 PM »

Funny you should mention this....
Once upon a time I had just this thing at the knightmare.  I had sacrificed both a spare OEM keyfob starter from a GM car, and one from an aftermarket company (bulldog security) and hacked the "start" button to a um506.  Even had these on week-day timers in the winter and enjoyed warm cars in the morning. 

Even tried it with BVC (lasted for about a week).

The advantages of this system was that the cars would automatically shut off after 15 mins if you did not get in and turn the key on.

These systems went out of service here after the wife started complaining of the price of fuel used and the fact that the kids thought it was funny to start the cars via the computer on any whim to impress visiting lady friends.

I still think this is a very good idea and would love to have it again, but alas, the hen rules the rooster.

Thanks for jogging my memory, and allowing me to relive one of my "failures".  If you have any questions,  I'd be honored to help.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 10:01:04 PM »

Funny you should mention this....
These systems went out of service here.... the price of fuel used and the fact that the kids thought it was funny to start the cars via the computer... I still think this is a very good idea and would love to have it again.

I also like the idea.

The wife parks in the garage year-round... but my truck is left outside at the end of the driveway in both heat and cold. This is a perfect time of year to add a new outside outlet for use later. Maybe we don't actually need a block heater here in the Midwest... they could still be handy in really cold weather. Warming the block by warming the antifreeze also warms the oil... makes the car/truck easy to start and allows the cars heater to start heating almost instantly. Maybe add a heater for the cabin area (on a thermostat?).... or even a float charger for the battery for the subzero weather we're sure to have with Global Climate Change (just humor).

Actually.... if house current was used to do the warm up process.... automating could actually SAVE gasoline use.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.