Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 3-way switches  (Read 10022 times)

nagyg

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
3-way switches
« on: April 22, 2009, 07:07:45 PM »

I installed four 3-way wall switches. They work when I press the buttons on the switch theselves but they do not respond to X10 commands. What could I have done wrong?

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR
Re: 3-way switches
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 08:18:36 PM »

Need allot more info.

What transceiver you using? what remote? are you using AHP? does any of you x10 stuff work or is this all yo u have? The more you tell the more we can help?
People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

nagyg

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 08:47:36 AM »

I am using AHP with a CM15A and I am trying to control the 3-way switches with Slimline Switch Decorator White (SS13A) remotes. Part of the problem seems to be the remotes: they only work when I use them right next to the CM15A. Would the installation of Transceivers in the rooms where I have the new 3-way switches fix this? I have a lot of appliance modules that are still working ...

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 05:56:25 PM »

I am using AHP with a CM15A and I am trying to control the 3-way switches with Slimline Switch Decorator White (SS13A) remotes. Part of the problem seems to be the remotes: they only work when I use them right next to the CM15A. Would the installation of Transceivers in the rooms where I have the new 3-way switches fix this? I have a lot of appliance modules that are still working ...

SS13's need either a TM751 or a RR501 (the better one to get, BTW) to convert the RF signals from the SS13 to powerline signals for the modules to work.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 08:57:52 PM »

I would look at the range problem first. Even the early CM15A had a range better than what you are quoting for your CM15A.
Is it new? Try moving it away from close proximity of your computer, does range improve? Search this forum for "CM15A range" for ideas to check.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

nagyg

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 11:07:22 PM »

Thanks - I will look into the CM15A range issues ... I guess I was a little bit naive about the remotes ("best remote deal ever"). They seem to be pretty much useless without transceivers in the same room (unless I am missing something here). The PalmPad remote I got today works pretty well.

After doing a lot of reading on this forum I ordered the ACT CR234 today, hoping this will solve my stability issues. My home is 3000+ sqft ...

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 12:08:59 PM »

The PalmPad remote I got today works pretty well.

After doing a lot of reading on this forum I ordered the ACT CR234 today, hoping this will solve my stability issues. My home is 3000+ sqft ...
The 234 is a great unit, as is the XTB IIR. They repeat the PLC code the CM15A puts on the homes power lines and you will need that in the large home.

They will not help you with the poor RF range of the remotes.

Search the forum for "antenna" or "antenna mod". Also search "passive radiator". You will see that you are not the only one with RF  range problems. Regardless, you should have better range than " right next to the CM15A". The Palm Pad should give you 20-30 feet, through walls. The range of the SS13 should be similar with new batteries.

Get the CM15A up high. If you home is two story, move the CM15A to the upper floor and check range. You may have a CM15A receiver problem.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 04:25:31 PM »

You are all overlooking that the problem with the SS13's is not range or anything else.  The SS13 requires a TM751 or RR501 transiever to convert the RF signals the SS13 transmits to X10 signals that operate the modules.

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 04:54:27 PM »

...  The SS13 requires a TM751 or RR501 transiever to convert the RF signals the SS13 transmits to X10 signals that operate the modules.

The CM15A can also be used to transceive the RF signal, but it's reception is marginal compared to the units that Dan listed.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 10:37:45 PM »

You are not kidding about the CM15A's reception being marginal. My CM15A is connected to the PC that has AHP on it, which is 18 feet from the SS13 that is next to my front door and controls three lights in the Living Room.  The CM15A cannot receive the RF signals from the SS13, but the RR501 that is 17 feet apart receives the RF signals, converts them to X10 signals, and the 3 lights respond.  X10Nets.exe sends the status of the 3 lamp modules to AHP correctly.

nagyg

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 08:47:31 AM »

The PalmPad remote works very well - unfortunately I have only one. For the remotes that came with the deal I will order 2 transceivers (one for the garage so I can run a macro when I come home) and one in the room where I need to run the SlimLine Wall remote.

I am looking forward to the phase coupler. I hope it will make the system work in ALL rooms.

nagyg

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 12:35:35 PM »

Just thought I should report back about my experience with the ACT CR234: My X10 installation is now rock solid and in almost a month I did not have any errors!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.