Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Getting appliance module to respond to multiple unit codes?  (Read 5355 times)

tad

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Getting appliance module to respond to multiple unit codes?
« on: April 25, 2009, 03:40:40 PM »

Here's my situation:
I currently have 3 lights in the bedroom: 2 nightstand and 1floorlamp.  I want to retain individual control of each lamp.  I currently have a few of the wireless light switches with 3 buttons - they work well enough.

However, I want 1 master switch by the door that turns all 3 of the modules on and off with one button.  I don't want to have to press multiple buttons.  It seems like the most logical way to do this is to somehow configure the 3 appliance modules to ALSO respond to an additional unit or house code, sent by the master switch.

Any ideas how to accomplish this?  I'm open to other alternatives.

To give you a bit of perhaps unnecessary detail: The "master switch" is a pre-existing switch that controls a switched outlet.  I can get it to send x-10 signals by hooking up a powerflash module to the outlet, which is what I've been doing in other rooms and it works great.  This is a rental, so I don't want to pull the switch itself to replace it with the x-10 variety.  So, I need a solution that works with the powerflash interface, if that makes any difference.  If you're not familiar with the powerflash modules, they just send a specified x10 code when they're triggered, same as any other switch.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: Getting appliance module to respond to multiple unit codes?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 05:38:23 PM »

tad,

You could use 3 powerflashes set to the individual lamp codes, however this would probably require a way of delaying the 2nd by about 2 seconds and the 3rd by about 4 seconds before triggering.  Otherwise, they would all attempt to transmit at the same time and the signals would collide with each other.

Another option would be to get Active Home Pro and program a macro into the CM15A that listened for a totally different code and then transmitted each lamp's code individually.

There may be other options.  It depends how strong your electronics skills are.
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

tad

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 07:57:47 PM »

tad,

You could use 3 powerflashes set to the individual lamp codes, however this would probably require a way of delaying the 2nd by about 2 seconds and the 3rd by about 4 seconds before triggering.  Otherwise, they would all attempt to transmit at the same time and the signals would collide with each other.

Another option would be to get Active Home Pro and program a macro into the CM15A that listened for a totally different code and then transmitted each lamp's code individually.

There may be other options.  It depends how strong your electronics skills are.

thanks for the fast response.  I considered the 3-powerflash option, but I didn't want to have the sequential-delayed on-off.

I'll look into the active home pro and CM15A.  Any idea what the delay would be with something like that?  (The powerflash modules already result in some delay).

Electronics skills are very good (electrical engineer) - so if anyone can point me in the right direction of a more complicated approach I'd be amenable to that as well (like a DIY X-10 transmitting PIC project, or something)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 07:03:22 AM »

If the modules are on separate X10 addresses. There is going to be a short delay between them going off, as the commands have to be sent in sequence. An All Units Off on the House Code would turn them all off and any other module on the same House Code. An All Lights Off would do any Lamp or Wall Switch Module on the House Code.

There are modules that can have Individual Addresses and a Scene Address. Send an off to the Scene Address and all go off.
Not sure about X10 only ones as I have none, just Insteon with an X10 Primary and Scene Address. I use both as some things can't be done yet with Insteon.

The Black and Decker Freewire X10 OEM FWMR Master Remote and FWMH Master Hub had a feature that allowed the hub to learn four X10 Addresses and send the on or off codes to those in the scene when the remote scene button was pushed. Again in sequence. Also the Freewire RF was different so only their remote worked with their tranceiver hub. On the power line the signals where standard X10 and could control X10 devices and X10 controls could control Freewire modules.

I will see if I can find some X10 homebrew project links and post them for you.

WGL Makes an eight input module; that is like eight powerflash modules in one. Though I don't think it would do what you want. Here is the Link if you care to look at it. http://www.wgldesigns.com/pf8.html
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 07:33:28 AM by Brian H »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 11:17:51 AM »

I'll look into the active home pro and CM15A.  Any idea what the delay would be with something like that?  (The powerflash modules already result in some delay).

Brian H and -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) both have excellent ideas... but IMHO the CM15A is by far the best idea/solution.

There comes a point in nearly every Home Automation setup when... the light goes on.. in the users imagination. Reading your posts make me think your ready for some serious HA fun. The CM15A is the first step. Soon you may be thinking: why would I bother myself remembering to turn lights off... a simple macro (or so) could accomplish this for me.

Or... you could just tell your setup: Bedroom lights off.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 06:59:26 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 01:22:29 PM »

I agree.
AHP normally now has a special X10 deal with all the plug ins and interface included.
Looks like the weekend sale includes the added software and an Appliance Module.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 01:37:51 PM by Brian H »

tad

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 04:49:08 PM »

OK I'm sold.  Any good reason to get the CM15A over the CM11A (older model)?  I don't mind using a serial interface.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 06:29:48 PM »

The only possible problem with using the CM11A is either a PC with XP on it that has a particular motherboard (various manufactures) that plays "hit or miss" with COM ports (the CM11A disappears and reappears constantly, no fixed schedule or a PC with Vista on it (that's a maybe, given Vista's track record).

AHP and the CM15A works fine with Windows 9X, XP and Vista (some of the plug-ins don't like Vista either).  In 2009 I would strongly recommend AHP (Version 2.228 Only, avoid 3.236, it's a buggy release.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 06:37:52 PM »

OK I'm sold.  Any good reason to get the CM15A over the CM11A (older model)?  I don't mind using a serial interface.

CM15A with AHP does a lot more. Also CM15A receives and transmits RF so you can use wireless remotes like Palm Pad with it.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 07:09:56 PM »

The add on programs that are most likely in the package deal. Make the CM15A and AHP much better than the CM11A; if you can even find one these days.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.