Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reasonably Priced X10 Thermostat  (Read 27926 times)

ultradianguy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Reasonably Priced X10 Thermostat
« on: April 30, 2009, 01:22:42 AM »

Same as subject line!  Something inbetween the little heater that goes under the thermostat (doesn't help with AC) and the very expensive models that are available from other manufacturers.

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
Re: Reasonably Priced X10 Thermostat
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 09:44:48 AM »

We both wait and wait.

It seems that it would require little more guts than a lamp comtroller.
Up Down and off.

I would like one too. The thermostat is way over there out of my reach.
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 12:08:05 PM »

Same as subject line!  Something inbetween the little heater that goes under the thermostat (doesn't help with AC) and the very expensive models that are available from other manufacturers.
Ultra
You can use the X10 heater for controlling AC. It just works the opposite of the heat set back. You program your set back for the daytime hours instead of nightime and set the HVAC thermostat to your desired setback temperature. The X10 TH2807 heater operating during the day, warms the thermostat, causing the home to be cooler that the set temperature. Then at night the heater is turned off and the house then goes to the thermostat set point (the "setback" temp).

Another cheap (but more difficult) way of getting X10 HVAC setback is to use two thermostats; one for "normal" temp and one for "setback" temp. They need to be located side by side. If your original thermostat wires are not secured inside the walls, you can use your existing thermostat wire to "pull" two new wires for the two thermostats.  Then you can use X10 Appliance Modules driving 4PDT relays to control "Normal Temp", "Set back Temp", System ON/OFF, and Fan ON/OFF.

The May 1999 issue of Popular Home Automation magazine has the DIY plans, parts source, 1999 costs, etc. for the two thermostat X10 setback project. It was written by yours truly, so if you want to try it, PM me with your email address and I can email the article or my original draft...which ever I can find.  ;)
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

raster69273

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 03:00:32 PM »

Prolifix and Honeywell make a wireless thermostat. Right now only the Prolifix thermostat can use third party software as Honeywell uses there own technology. Honeywell does promise me that they are working on some way to use third party software such as PC Companion. Prolifix uses ethernet based technology so you can access the HVAC controls via a web page.  Either one looks much more reliable than a separate heating element to try and fool the thermostat. JMO

WildBill47

• Helpful Post Rating: 18
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 02:28:22 AM »

If you look here:
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=17892.0

I have a mode that hooks a modified X10 motion detector to a thermostal and when triggered by the thermostat sends the X-10 House / Unit command of your choice to any X-10 Module, this could easilly tune on an appliance module hooked to a heater.

fuji0030

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 08:41:59 AM »

Another bargain (but added difficult) way of accepting X10 HVAC setback is to use two thermostats; one for "normal" acting and one for "setback" temp. They charge to be amid ancillary by side. If your aboriginal thermostat affairs are not anchored central the walls, you can use your absolute thermostat wire to "pull" two new affairs for the two thermostats. Then you can use X10 Appliance Modules active 4PDT relays to ascendancy "Normal Temp", "Set aback Temp", System ON/OFF, and Fan ON/OFF.
by: Thermostat

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 09:10:34 AM »

I would like a wall thermostat controller that has the ability to increment/decrement the temp via x10 brighten/dim.
Oh and it has to be flea market cheap for me. ;D

I would hack my own creation but it is not immediately obvious how to do it and it's summer in the mountains here now with all the lawn care and trout stalking that pre-occupies me.
Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 12:30:09 PM »

Another bargain (but added difficult) way of accepting X10 HVAC setback is to use two thermostats; one for "normal" acting and one for "setback" temp. They charge to be amid ancillary by side. If your aboriginal thermostat affairs are not anchored central the walls, you can use your absolute thermostat wire to "pull" two new affairs for the two thermostats. Then you can use X10 Appliance Modules active 4PDT relays to ascendancy "Normal Temp", "Set aback Temp", System ON/OFF, and Fan ON/OFF.
by: Thermostat
Is there an echo in this room? Read my original response.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

xiaoyu80305

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 02:10:19 PM »

Have you tried to use PSC01 (Powerflash) to connect to your existing digital thermostat? The X-10 code will be sent by PSC01 (triggered by the thermostat) to X-10 module. If you use ActiveHome interface, then by using Macros (timer can be added) to control your heating/cooling, or directly program from your digital thermostat.

Xiaoyu,
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 04:17:24 PM by xiaoyu80305 »

raster69273

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 05:28:14 PM »

With something as important as indoor comfort (after all if you aren't comfortable inside why bother to automate) why would anyone want to jury rig their HVAC system?  There are many wireless or remote capable thermostats on the market, some of which are less than $100.00. It could easily cost more than that with two inexpensive thermostats and X-10 controls. Sure you won't be able to use AHP to control temperatures but you could use it to switch the thermostat power on or off with a universal module.
Keep in mind that most "inexpensive" thermostats are not accurate within 2-4°F. Only Honeywell and Emerson claim to have a 1° differential.
JMHO

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.