Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I have 4 cameras, and from what I understand..  (Read 2743 times)

jmcdoiwell

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
I have 4 cameras, and from what I understand..
« on: May 05, 2009, 12:14:47 AM »

From what I understand, I cannot view all of them at once.

4 cameras
1 TRANSCEIVER
1 RECEIVER

I need to be able to stream ALL 4 cameras, all at once, at any given time.
 Does X10 sell such a device?
 Thanx in advance.

Joshua

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
Re: I have 4 cameras, and from what I understand..
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 05:31:03 AM »

no.  In order to do what you are asking, you would need 4 receivers (for wireless cams) running on all 4 channels and a "mulitplexor" to combine the 4 signals in such a way as to see them on the screen.  Wired cams are a little better for this type project as you get past the available frequency limitations, but you will still need the multiplexor.

I believe that Astrothug could be more helpful with this one.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 06:07:21 AM by Knightrider »
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 06:44:47 AM »

Even if you got all four to run at the same time. Each on one of the Channels A;B;C and D. There is a good chance they would interfere with each other. You would also have to watch the X10 address on each of the cameras power supplies. As normally when one in a group of four. Unit 1-4;5-8;9-12 and 13-16. The other three in the group go off. To prevent interference.
Wired ones as mentioned maybe a better choice.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 08:02:03 AM »

.... I need to be able to stream ALL 4 cameras, all at once,

And... with broadband connections the way they are now... we are so close to being able to do that. Back in the old days (showing my age here) we used to count the KB of data we used to create a Web Page... because it so effected loading time.

But even though the Internet has got much faster than it used to be.... streaming four cameras.... that's a lot to ask. That would mean the transfer of a lot of data. Assuming your going to pay for a commercial (business class) broadband connect at both ends (camera/sending and viewing/receiving) you will still likely get a reduced frame rate.

Live viewing is normally around 30 frames per second. Often even with a great connection... and only one camera it can be reduced to 15 frames per sec. That's why some Web Cam or IP videos look choppy. With four camera views.... you many see reductions around 4 FPS (or less). Once you see that in action.... you will see why X10 designed their system around the camera switching technology.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 08:05:53 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

jmcdoiwell

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 09:36:19 AM »

.... I need to be able to stream ALL 4 cameras, all at once,
  I should have been more specific, I did not mean stream the cameras over the Internet.  Although that will be a light need.  I meant record all 4 camera at the same time, without skipping from camera to camera.
  I am pretty sure, based on what I have read here, that this will not be possible with the X10 equipment.  The guy that bought all of this stuff, is going to be peved, but what can I do.  All I can do is point him in the right direction, have him purchase all the right stuff and install it for him.

Joshua

astrothug

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 09:57:45 AM »

as other have said, its almost impossible to do, wired camera's are the way to go for streaming 4 live video feeds. all you need to do that is usb pvr, check out this thread. http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=17982.msg99992#msg99992

crowntown

• Helpful Post Rating: -5
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 11:50:41 AM »

4 cam streams @ 30fps is very possible if you have the right hardware and good broadband.  I stream 4 in a quadview from home 30-60fps if I'm viewing from decent broadband, say 3mbps+.  At the central station we stream many more than that on one account @ 30fps each.

I have 6mbps DSL and just had fiber put in so I'll be signing up soon for 18mbps (no that is not a typo!) AT&T fiber.  If you really need to stream multiple feeds and you have good broadband available, I'd look at some of the DVR cards around.  Unfortunately I haven't found a way to get iWatch to recognize my card.  It'd be handy to intergrate it with Myhouse Online.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.