Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: X-10 units cathing fire??  (Read 9382 times)

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: X-10 units cathing fire??
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 05:55:43 PM »

My general rule is NEVER plug a module into a power strip.   Power strips are used for multiple plug, so anything can be plugged to them.  With the great number of noise producers around, plugging a module into one is asking for trouble.

Extension cords are OK, especially when the outlet for the module is far away from what it is controlling.  Fairly short runs only.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »

I have made some sparks from time to time.  rofl
That outlet look more like a short on the outside of the outlet. Maybe on or in the plug.
A short on the inside face of the outlet would have burned the plastic more from the inside.

mbutkus

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 05:40:16 PM »

The item (light) that was plugged into this flaming appliance unit is working fine.  No damage.... hence the short was inside the unit.
The burn hole was made from inside the unit.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 06:06:56 PM »

The item (light) that was plugged into this flaming appliance unit is working fine.  No damage.... hence the short was inside the unit.
The burn hole was made from inside the unit.
There appeares to be more external  damage to the module than can be supported by the burn hole. Are you sure something could not have fallen across the plug prongs? The internal fuse of the module would not support this kind of energy.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 07:15:26 PM »

That must have been quite a fire?
I looked at 2 pin appliance module and where your burned hole is. There is a slot behind the hole; that isn't even inside the module.
Your burned hole is just through a piece of plastic case with no internal parts behind it.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 07:36:15 PM by Brian H »

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 07:54:34 PM »

The fact the light that was plugged into the appliance module still works doesn't mean there couldn't have been some conductive material across the plug prongs - perhaps just a strand of wire.  I agree with the others that the damage appears to have been underneath the plug.  A stray strand of wire could have caused that flare, and vaporized to leave no evidence behind.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

mbutkus

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 08:21:34 PM »

I took the appliance module off of one extension cord, then into a power strip... nothing was moved.
Defective X-10  plain and simple.  Something inside the X-10 caused a short.  NOTHING was crossed at the plug.
I'm not sure how old this module is...
If something was shorted across the plug.. the plug would have melted sections.  That plug is not bad, considering the damage to the unit.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 08:24:19 PM by mbutkus »
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.